Final thoughts? Lets all thrash it out

Final Thoughts?

For me, its all the same old guff.  The machines are ready before the games. Thankfully this time a lot of them are on the PC too.

I'm sure a lot of us have drifted across to the PC over the last year or so.  Cheaper overall once you have laid out for one.

I feel that I don't NEED a next gen console at all right now.  

And yet?   Microsoft with their Series S machine  are in a strong position aren't they?  because  i can easily get one of those to keep my thumb in.

I reckon the Series S sales are going to go through the roof.

What i'm most pissed off about is that none of them have sat down and done a show and tell  " there you are - here's our machine  and here is how it works "

its more cloak and dagger than ever.

A proper shit-show all round, with only one winner:

image.png.f02bd5f6f6f86d8c66fcb011b269b811.png

It was all "fine", but that's exactly it - nothing was amazing or a complete disaster. I'm inevitably going to pick one of them up at some point, but right now I'm not hurrying to pre-order anything. I have an okay-ish PC in the meantime, not to mention a bunch of current-gen things that I still need to check out.

If there was some kind of amazing exclusive announcement I might be more enthusiastic (perhaps this is Demon's Souls for some people?) but at the moment I can wait.

I hate being this person, but I can’t justify spending out on either console regardless of them actually being fairly priced if there’s not a single launch title on either that really grabs me,

I can remember back the last few gens having to leave launch games out because I could only afford to pick a couple, with the PS5 I have no interest in Spider-Man so that pretty much leaves me empty handed,

First time in my life I’ve actually been to afford the consoles at launch without bankrupting myself and the first time ever I don’t think I’ll end up getting either

It’s so clear these machines (or the games) aren’t ready. I love a new console generation but it’s become clear over the past two or three months that this one needs to wait. Another six months to get the games ready. 

3 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

I hate being this person, but I can’t justify spending out on either console regardless of them actually being fairly priced if there’s not a single launch title on either that really grabs me,

I can remember back the last few gens having to leave launch games out because I could only afford to pick a couple, with the PS5 I have no interest in Spider-Man so that pretty much leaves me empty handed,

First time in my life I’ve actually been to afford the consoles at launch without bankrupting myself and the first time ever I don’t think I’ll end up getting either

I agree, also in a good financial position but not really bothered by either so far. 

The only game coming out I have any interest in is Cyberpunk and with that getting a next gen upgrade I may as well wait. 

2 minutes ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

You know what is really lacking?   A launch Driving or Racing game :(

Yeah were the hell is the new Ridge Racer.

I am going to get the 3080 for my PC then maybe pick up a PS5 next year.

Just now, Sumire said:

Yeah were the hell is the new Ridge Racer.

I am going to get the 3080 for my PC then maybe pick up a PS5 next year.

Yeah that’s where I landed. Except maybe see how Sony’s policy of porting their first party games to PC goes

First time in a long time I'm gonna skip I think and maybe even go PC.

I thought Sony would mix together PS+ and PSNow to make disc-less appealing. Seems like a bizarre middle ground chosen instead with a few first party PS4 titles on PSNow added to PS+. What's the point of PSNow if some first party games go on PS+? Will it continue on PS5? It's actually a decent service now you can download on ps4.

With all digital Xbox there's at least gamepass so a steady stream of new games that wont cost the earth. Sony don't have that it appears so wouldn't get a disc-less version if i was buying. Don't trust £70+ new releases down the line and PSNow being cut as an option.

It's really not inspiring with the slow walk through markets seen 100 times before, the quick time events, the remakes. So few genres seen. No fighting, no driving to name but two.

The only real  " fault " on the PC  is that it can be confusing to try and find out where your game has been released to! :o  ( which store )

- Origin?  - Epic Store?  - Microsoft store? or Steam??  

lol :)  It may be time for a unified gaming platform.

1 minute ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

The only real  " fault " on the PC  is that it can be confusing to try and find out where your game has been released to! :o  ( which store )

Nah, the pirate bay mate.

JOKE

2 minutes ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

Check out GOG Galaxy. It keeps all of your libraries together and works pretty well, in my experience.

Well have an Oculus and my PC I've had the next generation of gaming for me since January this year.

Looking forward to Star Wars Squadrons in October and will buy a HOTAS for the PC. That is more exciting than any new console hardware for me period . Now back to some Super Mario Galaxy.....

1 minute ago, the_debaser said:

I was watching that PS5 showcase thinking I've played every single one of these games before and seen everything they have to offer. 

The new consoles fucking suck, full of focus group produced shitty games that didn't need to be made. Fuck off and come back with something interesting.

spacer.png

I agree with Goaty, there is no game that can be deemed next gen to be worth the big spent £450 leap. As a result, the XSS is  the one people will go for - UNLESS console gamers have an aversion to not actually owning games, not being able to trade and sell them, which has been the cornerstone of the console culture from the start.

The only things that have surprised me are the prices on the Xbox consoles. Which are great. 

The launch lineup for PS5 is a bit shite for me personally. Only Spiderman interests me and that's a cross platform game. 

At least with series X I know there is a ton of stuff I want to play and upgraded versions too (FH4, D2 looking at you)

4 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Honestly, I don't think there's anything wrong with this line of thinking at all.

I felt exactly the same way with the PS4 and X-Box One - I only jumped on the PS4 once Battlefield: Hardline of all fucking things came out, and even with getting that and a sizeable price cut on the console I thought it wasn't a particularly great deal. As for the X-Box, that was only when they were flogging refurbs on Amazon for under £200.

I don't think this generation is turning out any differently - I do absolutely love that the Series S is at a price point worth shouting about, but when it's all said and done all of Microsoft's games are going to be on Game Pass Ultimate, which works on my PC.

Hell, depending on how the RTX 3070 turns out and when Benchmarks/Tweaking articles for Cyberpunk come out, I might not even end up with a new graphics card by the end of the year.

It's not even like I don't have the money for any of this shit at the moment, either. Hell, I'd rather get some hardware buying done now-ish before we have to spend ten quid on a loaf of bread due to leaving the EU or some shit.

I’ll stick with my current setup until next year and then get a digital PS5. Looks like Japanese studios are dropping Xbox support and I’m not bothered about any Microsoft exclusives, plus if any do turn up I can play them on PC. 

42 minutes ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

Final Thoughts?

For me, its all the same old guff.  The machines are ready before the games. Thankfully this time a lot of them are on the PC too.

I'm sure a lot of us have drifted across to the PC over the last year or so.  Cheaper overall once you have laid out for one.

I feel that I don't NEED a next gen console at all right now.  

And yet?   Microsoft with their Series S machine  are in a strong position aren't they?  because  i can easily get one of those to keep my thumb in.

I reckon the Series S sales are going to go through the roof.

What i'm most pissed off about is that none of them have sat down and done a show and tell  " there you are - here's our machine  and here is how it works "

its more cloak and dagger than ever.

A proper shit-show all round, with only one winner:

image.png.f02bd5f6f6f86d8c66fcb011b269b811.png

Wrong.

8793399B-2950-43BC-9FBC-8068AB31EE7B.thumb.jpeg.1b11ed4a99a27bad5ca8850f02474fc8.jpeg

Mentioning Brexit... despite there being nothing really interesting at launch, I do feel like I need to get one of them now because next year they'll be twice the price, not available or I'll be spending more on bread and milk.

For that reason, I've got 27 months of gamepass ahead of me now so I'll be getting an Xbox Series X to tide me over for them fun periods when we don't have a power cut. I fancy a backup UHD player too.

If we're not in a hellscape future, I might get the digital PS5 much later down the line. 

...although, could do with knowing which will run multiformat games better and by how much.