Next Gen - What Are You Getting At Launch?

What’re ya buyin’, stranger?  

261 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Demon's Souls looks really good and is apparently next-gen only. That is really the only game swaying me towards getting a PS5 at launch at the moment. Everything else I'm interested in I can play on my Pro. No mention of PSVR and the benefits PS5 will bring to that.

The disc PS5 is the one to go for though surely. £90 extra now, but the savings over the next several years from buying games cheaper on disc from online retailers and trading in would make up for it. However, 2x £35 codes on shopto is £60. But how long will those offers be around?

The PS Plus PS4 Collection is also another nice bonus to move across to PS5, but no mention If they are enhanced in any way. Assuming they will be going by Cerny's recent tech talk.

May just go for an RTX 3080 instead.

If anything at all, probably just an Xbox Series X; Game Pass is where it’s at for me, as well as the knowledge that I’ll continue to be able to play four generations of Xbox games. Will probably trade / sell my PS4 Pro & XB1X to cover a fair chunk of the cost.

So I slept on it, and I don’t think I’m buying anything at launch, when I was previously sure I’d be getting one of them. I’ve got £400 literally just sitting in a “PS5” savings pot with a picture of the Series X on it, waiting to be spent on one of these things, but I’m thinking about doing a mobo/cpu/GPU refresh on my PC with that money, instead. Or even just sticking it into my savings account.

not a single game on either I'd want to play, so I'm out until there is something or the new Switch is announced. 

I'm not in full on old git 'I'm done with gaming', but I'm done with the power & graphics arms race, I get more amusement out of something like Untitled Goose nowadays than a tech showcase with too many mechanics and RPG/Crafting systems bolted on

also the £70 price point for some PS5 games shows it won't take long for that digital machine discount to be clawed back

I think I'm pretty much decided on just a Series S with a view to getting a PS5 eventually (I think Deathloop plus Something Else might tip me over).

Tetris Effect is one of my best games of the generation so the lure of Connected is strong.

Also - weirdly - skipping the entire One generation has done Microsoft a bit of a favour for me. Getting a Series S means Game Pass and all the stuff I've missed. A PS5 means PS+ Collection and all the stuff I've played or couldn't be arsed with first time round.

I need to change my vote :facepalm:

It was on Very... interest free for 12 months... it's like my brain paused and my hands took over - muscle memory - as it clicked through the acceptance screens and added to account.

I had decided last night I wasn't going to buy either at launch and now I've gone and pre-ordered a PS5 Full Fat (Digital was sold out already).

I'll justify it to myself somehow... I don't know how yet. I never bought a PS4 Pro! That's it... I never bought a pro, it's a natural upgrade, I can use it as my main machine for PS4 games, like TLOU2... it's my xmas present.

I don't get launch consoles generally but my plan is probably to buy a Series S and then look at getting a disc PS5 maybe in 12 months because:

1. A new console will cheer me up.

2. I haven't had an Xbox since 360 so I can catch up on what I missed on that side.

3. Gamepass seems like really good value.

4. I'm not going to spend £70 on Demon's Souls out the gate and the rest of the launch lineup doesn't appeal or I can play on my PS4.

5. I may be overthinking it but I am concerned that Brexit/ongoing economic situation is going to increase price and/or scarcity of ANY consoles so I want to get something now before that happens.

6. PS Plus collection doesn't seem like good value given I have already played the bulk of exclusives on PS4.

(7. The PS5 is ugly as sin and possibly won't fit in my TV unit)

The only thing making me hesitate is that long term I am much much more interested in Sony exclusives and going back to point 5 above, I am concerned that in 12 months a PS5 will either be scarce or more expensive.

Please tell me why this isn't a good plan.

Quite surprised at the nearly half of us apparently not buying at launch at all. Is that normal for here? I have no idea. And then a slightly more than 3:2 lead for Xbox. I feel like one of the few things the forum tends to understand is the attractiveness of consoles, so maybe this is bad omens for Sony.

The last console I got at launch was the 3DS , before that it was the OG Xbox and before that the Dreamcast. And we all know what happened with those consoles.

So, I'm never getting a console at launch ever again. Prolly get a PS5 after it's had its first revision, like I did with the PS3 and the PS4.

PS5 - I am going to get it anyway so might as well get it on launch. Not keen on any of the release titles I was hoping GT7 would come out so will play Cyberpunk 2077 or maybe one of the ubisoft titles depending on reviews instead.

Neither. I think both have really poor launch lineup's and don't see anything that interesting on the horizon either. I think it's going to take cutting support for PS4 (and Nintendo Switch) for me to make an upgrade. So 3-4-5 years time I suspect.

XBOX Series X - I will pre-order with Microsoft and convert £80 of rewards vouchers I've been slowly accruing throughout the year with daily clicking on websites and the rewards app on Xbox.

Once all setup, I'll look to shift my One X, hoping to get £150 for it although I have no idea what it will be worth by then.  So that would make £220 to upgrade from One X to Series X which seems ok to me. I'm all signed up with Game Pass until March 2023 already thanks to the £1 offer and a free 6 month ultimate card I won at X19 last November in London. 

I'll pick up a PS5 disc version when the next Team Ico game comes out. I was quite relieved that one wasn't shown last night.

Xbox Series X this year as I have not had an XBOne and with Game Pass, I'll have dozens of 'new' games to keep me occupied.

I was going to go with PS5 again this generation, but might wait and see for now as I only really want to play DS and Miles Morales (which is now PS4 anyway). If I can sell my Ps4 Pro and a bunch of stuff for ~£200+ I might just pony up the difference.

Switch Pro? Day one.

I’ve changed my mind, I’ve gone from neither to Pre-ordering the PS5,

I had an XBO from launch and never owned a PS4 so my thinking is whilst I wait for new games to come out I’ve got a whole generation of PS4 games I’ve missed out on to play through,

also because my PC isn’t too shabby so most of what comes out on the Xbox I’ll be able to play anyway....

Roll on November

I voted Series S but really it's a toss up between that and neither. I've never bought a non-Nintendo console at launch before and the other week I got swept up in the Xbox positivity and decided to break that habit. But the head says there's a reason I've never owned an Xbox, which is that it doesn't have the kind of games I like. But the heart says how do you know if you haven't played them? And it's so small, and cheap, and you get to try out all those games you've never even tried for next to nothing. And you get to enjoy a bit of launch day excitement too. So I'm still more on that side of the fence, but only just.

I wasn't going to buy a PS5 at launch under any circumstances, and now Horizon 2 is confirmed for PS4 I've got even less reason.

1x Series X. 2x Series S.

That includes Christmas presents for my lads, so the PS5 will have to wait. Which I don’t mind, seeing as it’s the ugliest console I’ve ever seen and doesn’t have anything except Demons Souls, which means I don’t need one right now.

Edit: I’m surprised to see Xbox in the lead though. I still thought the PS5 would be the most popular on here after such a strong gen with the PS4.

I could spend all my RTX3080 money on a Series X for gimped Cyberpunk and 4K Perfect Dark.

I could spend half of that money on a Series S and forget about 4K Perfect Dark.

I might be able to spend even less of that money on Black Friday for a decent One X deal for even further gimped Cyberpunk and 4K Perfect Dark.

I could just hold out for more RTX3080 FE stock, which could run well into next year.

This Nvidia situation has fucked me a bit. I've got my Xbox 360, Wii, SFC, and a PCE to fulfill my gaming needs until I decide on one of the above. If I can't get my hands on Cyberpunk at launch I'm going to have to avoid the internet until potentially summer next year.