Ted Lasso - Apple TV show with Jason Sudeikis

dfq23

13 hours ago, Poet said:

The actor who plays Roy Kent wrote the latest episode. Impressive man.

Brett Goldstein was originally hired as a writer, and was in the writer’s room for the first series - he only auditioned for the role after they’d written all the scripts in fact. 

best episode of the series, took its time to get back into the groove I thought from the first series and spent too long being overly sweet and syrupy in the first half of the season.

it's a hard groove to find being feel good and not OTT sugary but fingers crossed they've found it again.

Has anyone been following the ‘Roy Kent is CG’ debate? 

7A27B8B3-9C80-4AB4-A625-D8D4C5B972D9.jpeg.84a6eb29f71fe1885e684e43570d8a36.jpeg

Basically a rumour started recently that Roy Kent is actually a computer generated character and not an actor. Various Internet Sherlocks have been finding ‘proof’ for the past few days. Apparently Apple are using the show as a Trojan Horse to try out their secret AI technology. 

Today, Roy Kent ‘actor’ Brett Goldstein finally broke his silence.

Think we can safely put this one to bed now. 

I'm really enjoying the series so far, however

Spoiler

I'm more than a little disappointed that they've finished with the sponsorship storyline. One thing that I'm concerned about with football currently is where a lot of the money is being pumped in from, so it was nice to see the show, and the characters within it, highlight this and take a stand. In addition, whereas the first series was lots of nice people being nice to each other based around a premise of one person being a complete bastard to everyone else, this series has so far lacked a complete bastard and the tension that comes with it - although, as always, Nate has managed to step up and provide exactly what was missing. I'm really hoping nasty Nate sees the series to it's conclusion now.

Going to put a few details in about the latest episode so will spoiler.

Spoiler

I really, really liked how they played Ted battling himself to go to the doctor.  They managed to do Wacky Ted without him being amusing and then Angry Ted without him being a complete bastard.  I absolutely adored the line "How did you know that I'd come back?"  "Because you never quit."  The amount of great acting and writing between Lasso and the doctor is off the scale.

Higgins' pipe made me chuckle.

I understand Nates heel turn, but he's practically bloodying yo-yoing at this point.  And the father stuff is being hammered home with the subtlety of a brick.  At least he has learned never, ever to piss Beard off.

Jamie - "I didn't say nothing bad this time!"  I'm almost feeling sorry for the selfish prick.

I originally thought the first few episodes of the second series were a bit mawkish but I now think the Ted and Nate storylines are putting a bit more bite in which has really helped bring it back to the standard of the first series for me. 

17 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

I originally thought the first few episodes of the second series were a bit mawkish but I now think the Ted and Nate storylines are putting a bit more bite in which has really helped bring it back to the standard of the first series for me. 

Absolutely this, it almost felt like a Drew Barrymore romcom for the first few and I wasn't enjoying it anywhere near as much - the last 2 though have come right back to form.

This weeks really showed again how much you care about so many of the characters as they are formed so much better than in most comedy half hour shows, it reminds me of the peak of Fools & Horses when Del, Rodney and Uncle Albert were buffoons one minute but tugging at your heart strings the next. 

The Nate storyline may be a touch compressed/exaggerated but they are putting in the (limited) time available to sell it by showing his home life and how he reacts to the first bit of success and good publicity - its intoxicating to him.  

On 04/09/2021 at 13:43, Gotters said:

The Nate storyline may be a touch compressed/exaggerated but they are putting in the (limited) time available to sell it by showing his home life and how he reacts to the first bit of success and good publicity - its intoxicating to him.  

I don’t know if it’s just about the moment of fame getting to him; like a lot of us Nate’s got a capacity for being cruel at times and it’s always been there.  Like shouting at Ted and Beard right back when he first met them, then completely changing his tone when he realised who they were; his pivotal speech in season one; him having a go at the new kit man before he realised he was promoted… those thoughts are there, it was just a matter of whether he was expressing them or not.  

I think I have said that I never really loved Nate but I am liking what they are doing with him now.  Ted hasn’t been in the right frame of mind to pay any attention to Nate this season and I can see him doing a lot worse, wanting to have that wonder kid moment again or to keep his position, and eventually overstepping the mark with Ted as well.

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

I was having a proper shitty morning this morning but my word if that episode didn’t cheer me up some, but they need to give Richmond a fucking break soon :D

They'll get to play Stoke twice so that'll be six easy points for them.

@Doctor Shark Could you maybe spoiler that last post please? I know it’s my own fault for coming into the thread before watching the latest episode, but it gave away the result of the semi-final.

I agree with you anyway, I’ve had a shitty day too, and that was a great pick me up. Proper season one quality episode.

59 minutes ago, Stejay said:

@Doctor Shark Could you maybe spoiler that last post please? I know it’s my own fault for coming into the thread before watching the latest episode…

I agree with you anyway, I’ve had a shitty day too, and that was a great pick me up. Proper season one quality episode.

It didn’t necessarily give that specific thing away, although you now have. 

That was a brilliant episode from start to finish. Ups, downs and in betweens.

Proper spoilers

Spoiler

The rest of the team realising why Jamie is how he is and Roy hugging him was brilliant.

Roy and Phoebe was hilarious.

Isaac and the haircut.

Higgins’ office.

Ted and the doctor. Sparring as equals.

I was fearing the Sam / Rebecca thing but I thought that it was really well done and brilliantly acted.

And Ted’s father. That was something of a shock. Puts the S1 darts scene in a different light.

10 minutes ago, Plissken said:

That was a brilliant episode from start to finish. Ups, downs and in betweens.

Yes very strong, pitch perfect performances too. I like pretty much every character in it. 

On 05/09/2021 at 07:43, Gotters said:

Good points - they have set up the Nate storyline like you say and it's not a total sudden change of direction.

The actor himself has said to keep watching and trust the show to work in the long form.