Can the rllmuk hivemind guess the price of the PS5?

Can the rllmuk hivemind guess the price of the PS5?  

288 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, SF-02 said:

£329 and £479. £349 is £100 more than Xbox s and looks too big a gap

Cant see them effectively pricing the disc drive as being worth £150 extra of the consumer’s money. The two versions are the same spec, disc drive being the only difference. The production costs of including a disc drive must only be about £20 a machine or something. They’d make the disc version too hard a sell if there was a £150 difference.

£299 and £399 for me

I always reckoned Sony would announce PS5 at £50-£100 cheaper than series X

Given the lower than expected price of Series X, I reckon the PS5 with disc will be £399 - that's 50 quid cheaper and crucially would be viewed as being under £400 with the MS offering over £400

Similarly, I reckon the disc-less PS5 will be £299, that still makes it and Series S both fall below £300 and they can give the sales spiel of full next-gen hardware for only 50 quid more than Series S

8 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

£350 for either. The tech in them isn’t exactly cutting edge so they could probably still make a margin on it at this price. 

Yeah...yeah..., its not like its using a gpu that isnt actually available yet...or a cpu based on one from last year...or a customised ssd that works, apparently, faster then a gen 4 pcie ....yeah...sure...thats not "cutting edge"...

or, to state the obvious..."U wot m8?"! *visible bewilderment*

57 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

Yeah...yeah..., its not like its using a gpu that isnt actually available yet...or a cpu based on one from last year...or a customised ssd that works, apparently, faster then a gen 4 pcie ....yeah...sure...thats not "cutting edge"...

or, to state the obvious..."U wot m8?"! *visible bewilderment*

Whilst trolling, he is correct that there is nothing actually cutting edge there barring the compression engine. The GPU will be slower and only possibly have feature parity with those that have been on the market for two years. The CPU tech is over a year old and clocked down from what is available, with its replacement imminent. While the SSD has lower raw transfer rates that competing products already available. That it is using a large number of channels to get that performance is interesting, it would allow Sony to use a large number of relatively cheap NAND dies that in a normal SSD would not set the world alight, but running in parallel over 12 channels can put out some good numbers. So the SSD may not be as expensive to produce as many think.

Still a very capable machine, but not a cutting edge machine made from Japanese space magic like from the days of old.

2 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Cant see them effectively pricing the disc drive as being worth £150 extra of the consumer’s money. The two versions are the same spec, disc drive being the only difference. The production costs of including a disc drive must only be about £20 a machine or something. They’d make the disc version too hard a sell if there was a £150 difference.

I hadn't really thought about it this way. I guess it is different to the Series S|X situation. I think the disc-less ps5 will have to be at least £350, because I can't see them doing the full fat version for less than Microsoft and £450 drop to £250-£300 for just missing a disc drive seems way, way too big a gap. I expect the Sony machines to be much closer in price than the Microsoft machines and therefore I think the disc-less ps5 will be significantly more expensive than Series S.

I agree with the theory that they’ll want to offer a significant incentive to go digital. Think of the long term gains there. I reckon it’ll be £100 less. I also think they’ll want to cover costs as much as possible and leverage their current lead and match the XSX despite being less powerful - so £499 and £399. 

3 hours ago, Mr Majestyk said:

I think they'll take a hit on the disk-less PS5 as they'll make it back on digital sales £249 for the digital version £499 for the full fat.

The disc version is literally double the price here :blink:

I think that Sony will be doing everything they can to get within £50 of the XB Series S. Launching a console at the start of a huge global recession that is significantly more expensive than the main competition would be a risky move and world lose market share that Sony has spent the last several years pulling in.

That said, the machine will lose a fortune at that price, so I think it may be £350 for the base model with a load of digital sweeteners. A year of PS Now/Plus thrown in, perhaps, or a bunch of PlayStation Hits titles with every console. If Sony can not compete on price then they will need to compete on value.

Digital - 374.99. Includes a Kaz Hirai plushie. Screams Riiidge Raaacerrr if you press him in his belly with the right amount of force.

Physical - £474.99 Includes  Phil Harrison, Jim Ryan and Ken Kutaragi plushies woven from fairy silk. Pressing them in their bellies does nothing.

Digital for me.

9 hours ago, Ry said:

I bet you one thing, it the Microsoft price has not leaked it would probably launched at £550

Yeah it’s a shame it leaked.  Would have been funny to see the difference.  

I'm unsure how we've come to a point where the Ps5 was expected to be more expensive than the xbox which has been priced lower than expected, to the same ps5 console minus disc drive being seriously debated at £299.  I don't see any version of the PS5 going on sale for less than £399. 

I think there's a good chance the digital only console will be £450 and the full console will be £550, perhaps both getting a price cut 6 months after launch depending on how much momentum they gather. I expect them to sell out even at £600,  even if they priced both models the same. I don't personally see them considering the Series S as something they'll be able to compete with on price so they'll be pitching both versions of the PS5 as something like luxury items in order to justify their higher prices.  Arguably they won't need to do anything special with positioning,  just announce a price and open the preorders. 

I'm interested to see how different the price of standard and digital editions is,  I presume the closer they are the bigger the hit they're taking on both machines.  If they manage to supply enough to keep up with demand,  it'll be interesting to see which version sells most with only a small incentive to leave discs behind, but an incentive nonetheless.

16 hours ago, SF-02 said:

£329 and £479. £349 is £100 more than Xbox s and looks too big a gap

One is a true 4K console, the other is the Xbox Series S.

£479/£429 I think, had to choose £499/£399 in the poll. This is still £50 lower than I think they’d have gone sans information from the Microsoft launch.

And you get a game!

Wow, everyone seems to expect this to be far cheaper that I do. I can’t see them putting this out for much less than £500. Before the Xbox pricing came out I would have gone £550 /£500 nailed on but I think they will try and get the digital only version under the series x price by a nominal amount.

To do this I recon it will be weird pricing too.

£489 digital

£525 mug coaster 

4 minutes ago, mexos said:

digital only version under the series x price by a nominal amount.

To do this I recon it will be weird pricing too.

£489 digital

Series X is £449.

Agree though, I'm surprised how low the guesses are.