Can the rllmuk hivemind guess the price of the PS5?

Can the rllmuk hivemind guess the price of the PS5?  

288 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I reckon there's been heavy discussions this week about how low they can go.  £449 for the version with disc drive and £369 for the version without, and they'll take a loss to keep momentum up.  While the PS4 has been really successful this generation, at the moment it feels like Microsoft is moving forwards a bit faster and blurring the edges of the generations - and as Sony know from their experience with the PS3, any slow down at the start of the generation can take years to recover from.

I think the full fat will be between the £449 Series X price and £399. I don't really understand how to evaluate where it'll end up in that range. Similarly, I'd guess the Digital version will be £399 maximum, but again don't really know how low it's realistic they can go.

If I had to pick single price points then, I'll go £429 and £379.

I’m convinced Sony won’t price it higher than the Series X, it would be a marketing disaster - they might have chanced it before, on the basis that they are in a position of dominance and have significant pedigree with their exclusives, but the way the Series S/X pricing has grabbed the headlines over the past week or so will have disabused them of any such notion. 

This assumes they have no way of changing the conversation, and this might change come Wednesday, but at the moment they’re going to have to compete on Microsoft’s terms. £449 for the disk-based system, probably £399 for the disk less. 

I just can’t see how they’d be able to price the digital version as low as £349 with it having the same power as its big brother. They’d have to take a massive hit on each one.

£450 and £499, from my post here. Of course I’d prefer lower prices (and so I wouldn’t mind being completely wrong), but I get the feeling Sony have a premium product and are confident in their audience sticking around and paying up...

Im hoping its £349 for the digital and £449 for the full fat one.

I have no disk games left on the ps4 and ive gone fully digital over the last couple of years due to some good sales on the ps store.

However i still have some worries about being locked into buying only through the store.....but if the price difference is only £50 or around that,then its a no brainer to get the full fat console and have that freedom to shop around for disk games.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the GBP prices in particular are a bit odd. For example, let's say the Digital Edition is US$399 and €399, but in the UK it's £379 rather than the £349 that the PS4 was.

35 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Who's the poster who apparently believes that the drive model will be £299 and the digital will  be £50 cheaper again? :lol:

That guy sounds like a right idiot.

Is it too late to change my vote?

Internal Blu Ray drive is about 50 quid innit if they're buying them in bulk? So I can't see the driveless systems price being all that different.

I suppose there's a pandemic on so it'll all cost more, and I don't really know what sort of things they've got in there. Wires and stuff, innit?

£399 then, Bruce. Is that more likely?

2 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Just can’t see the price difference between the two versions being only £50. That’s just not enough of an incentive to go disc-less.

£349 & £449

Yup. They’ll be adding a disc tax.

£479, £429 - so where do I put that then?

The argument that "THERE MUST BE MORE THAN A £50 PRICE DIFFERENCE, so let's immediately round up to £100" forgets:

- That's basically $60, $70 with tax which is probably a big enough ticket price difference.

- Same applies in Euros.

- You're thinking entirely from the perspective of a consumer.

4 minutes ago, footle said:

£479, £429 - so where do I put that then?

The argument that "THERE MUST BE MORE THAN A £50 PRICE DIFFERENCE, so let's immediately round up to £100" forgets:

- That's basically $60, $70 with tax which is probably a big enough ticket price difference.

- Same applies in Euros.

- You're thinking entirely from the perspective of a consumer.

I thought about doing ranges but then I thought that people could just be trusted to round their guesses to the nearest answer...

As others have said, they’re either going to bump up the disc version price, or cut the digital edition price, so there’s at least £100/$100 between the two. They want to incentivise people to get the digital edition, and a lesser gap won’t do that. I’m now going for £399/499 to bracket the Series X. 

2 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

Just can’t see the price difference between the two versions being only £50. That’s just not enough of an incentive to go disc-less.

£349 & £449

I suppose you could argue that they may as well not bother at that price difference. The Disc version is bascially DOA at £100 more and, whilst I understand that Sony want to eventually kill discs off, why bother offering the option of a disc based console if they feel that strongly at launch?

On the other hand it does kind of make sense to massively undercut the disc console as Sony don't have a Gamepass business model that they can use as an incentive to go all digital (unless they are looking to pursue MS down that route with PSNow)?

Either way the disc based PS5 could very well be a gonner in the very near future, especially if digital store prices begin to fall in line with physical.