Immortals Fenyx Rising - Burp of the Wild

10 hours ago, Ry said:

Very tempted to pick this up but after putting 70 hours into Valhalla I'm not sure I can stomach another open world game right now. 

Is it like BotW quite a bit? (I don't like BotW) 

I loved BOTW, and I'm really enjoying this, but there are notable differences.

This one is absolutely excellent for letting you skip faster through dialogue and cut scenes. It's the most user-friendly game I've played in a while on that front. Very few unskippable things. They also move you through the game at a pace. It may have the aesthetics of BOTW, but outside of gliding it feels just as much like AC.

My next mission appears to be the end game sequence, so I'm currently working out if I can be bothered mopping up, or just getting it done and moving on. I've done some fairly fiendish puzzles for rubbish armour rewards, so I'm less keen to keep doing those. And my god powers are basically all there now, so I don't need to be chasing those down.

I'm playing on PC, and have  actually had about 10 crashes. But, fortunately, the saving is intelligent and frequent enough that it hasn't caused a problem. Always seems to happen in inconsequential traversal, and never on the precipice of beating a boss.

Installed this last night after I saw someone post that you get 5k ms points. Not bought it yet because I'm still vainly trying to hold onto principles because I said I wouldn't give Ubisoft any money. It's not the place for this conversation as it's been discussed extensively elsewhere but the devil and angel on my shoulders are having a scrap.

You shouldn't have to have crisis of conscience over your hobby, man.

8 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Installed this last night after I saw someone post that you get 5k ms points. Not bought it yet because I'm still vainly trying to hold onto principles because I said I wouldn't give Ubisoft any money. It's not the place for this conversation as it's been discussed extensively elsewhere but the devil and angel on my shoulders are having a scrap.

You shouldn't have to have crisis of conscience over your hobby, man.

Personally I've never really felt like boycotting something hundreds of people have worked hard on because there's a few bad eggs in upper management but everyone has a different tolerance threshold and I wouldn't argue against someone who felt differently either.

37 minutes ago, schmojo said:

but outside of gliding it feels just as much like AC

Although, it should be pointed out that the combat feels MUCH better than  the non contact wafting that was one of the biggest factors in my abandoning the dreary Valhalla.

17 minutes ago, Majora said:

Personally I've never really felt like boycotting something hundreds of people have worked hard on because there's a few bad eggs in upper management but everyone has a different tolerance threshold and I wouldn't argue against someone who felt differently either.

Yeah that's part of the dissonance. If the problems Ubisoft weren't so wide spread it might not be as bad but it's obvious the company's problem with sexual abuse is endemic. Or might be just as bad, where does the line lie? Basically what I'm saying is why are people such arseholes to each other?

I wish there was a way to customise the controls a bit more. Having attacks on the triggers but dodge on X messes with you after playing Dark Souls, so I can but that on B, but I want to be able to sprint by just clicking the left stick.

And what were they thinking by not just having you hold A to glide?

Yeah every time I try to throw a rock at a cyclops I take three attempts because I just whip it over my head the first two times. There's a specific length of time you have to hold the button to get it to click into place so you can throw it. 

The combat has a sort of hyrule warriorsish ness to it I think. It's a fun system, certainly better than Valhalla', but could feel a bit meatier. 

Oh man agree on the throwing. Amount of times I’ve smashed two or three rocks on the spin then been like “fuck, got no rocks to weigh this pissing plate down”. 

Played through to the second area now. Definitely enjoying much more than Valhalla. The world actually feels properly designed, not just quickly pasted from a palette of assets. 

If you mainline it I suspect it’s under 20 hours but as it’s literally jam packed with little Zeldaesque environmental puzzles for the optional content I suspect you can treble/quadruple that to play everything.

I’m 20 hours in and still clearing the first main section of the map (after the plateau I mean rocky island you start on). It’s one of those games is just massively fun to explore and take in the world...

6 hours ago, Majora said:

Does the narration become less incessant as it goes on? Couple of hours in and a few smiles aside I dislike the writing quite strongly. It's like having a bad children's cartoon playing in the background as you explore.

The narration is mainly around the main quest and the odd puzzle here and there, I’ve found. When you’re just running about exploring, there’s almost none and I was actually a bit surprised at how long there hadn’t been any when it kicked in after a good while yesterday. 

I’m currently in the Aphrodite area and am enjoying it a lot, but I hope the coming areas are a bit more memorable. This doesn’t ever seem to reach the heights of Zelda. There’s never really been anything I’ve struggled to climb, and therefore no real sense of accomplishment to any of the exploration, so far. 

I'm at about 32 hours, which is a lot more than I thought. It's easy to forget how much of your life is occupied by traversal in these games, though it is fun.

I've done all the side quest stuff I plan to do, and will probably go off to finish it on my next sitting. But I'm pretty beefed up since I've been doing plenty of myth quests and such.

I think it was a splinter team rather than the main AC army, but it really feels like the product of designers being freed of the shackles of that series and being allowed to cut loose.

59 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

The narration is mainly around the main quest and the odd puzzle here and there, I’ve found. When you’re just running about exploring, there’s almost none and I was actually a bit surprised at how long there hadn’t been any when it kicked in after a good while yesterday. 

I’m currently in the Aphrodite area and am enjoying it a lot, but I hope the coming areas are a bit more memorable. This doesn’t ever seem to reach the heights of Zelda. There’s never really been anything I’ve struggled to climb, and therefore no real sense of accomplishment to any of the exploration, so far. 

The map has nowhere near the sense of scale and mystery as BOTW, it's much more dense with stuff. I think it only really shares a surface sheen with that classic, on a scale of BOTW < - - - - - - - - > Assassins Creed this probably sits slightly closer to AC, although much tighter and more enjoyable to play. I've really enjoyed some of the puzzles too, nothing too taxing but fun in their own right.

It's a dictionary definition 7/10 for me, but I'm I'm glad I went for it. Two more days of work then I'm thoroughly looking forward to fully immersing myself in it (and CP77) over my holiday

How much Ubi-guff is there in this? Icons and DLC and piles of useless loot and so on?

I'm tempted by it since it's suddenly become very cheap, but I bounced off AC Odyssey recently, and this looks very much like a reskinned version of that game with a bit of gliding thrown in.

Yeah, you can literally stand at any point in the game and just scan in everything in about a kilometre radius, using your telescope.  This is a brilliant way of destroying all and any sense of discovery in the game and turning each area into basically a checkbox exercise. 

But it's got puzzles, shrines like BOTW, time trial challenges, rewards for platforming, etc. So loads of stuff that AC doesn't have. It feels more like an open world platformer with a bit of AC structure, rather than an AC game.

I agree with you on the lack of mystery and added density from what I've played so far, spanx. One of the complaints I had with BOTW was that often you'd see something interesting, wonder what was over there and in this amazing and interesting bit of the world you'd find... a Korok seed. Here, you might find something a bit more interesting, like a chest puzzle. The chest might be filled with tat, but the puzzles are good fun.

It's ticking all the right boxes for me at the moment except for hitting that peak of BOTW, where the world feels real, mysterious, and conquering it feels rewarding. 

Yeah, it's very early days for me so I didn't want to make any sweeping judgements but I already hate the 'hold RT to reveal everything in the world with no effort' mechanic and won't be using it. It's literally just another way to fill your map with icons only you have to scan everything in manually this time. I'll just be sticking markers on places I want to explore and leaving it at that.

The density of the map in comparison to BOTW is also quite striking. In BOTW the journey was as important as the destination (arguably moreso) and even nearly 4 years later I can still recall some of the journeys I made across the map (most memorable for me is probably seeing Hateno Village on the other side of a sprawling grassy mountainous area and working my way across to it). In this there isn't really any sense of journey because practically everywhere is a destination of sorts. No matter which way you turn you're going to stumble across something very quickly but it's actually a good lesson in how less can be more. When it feels like every few feet harbours something then nowhere ends up feeling all that special.

That sounds a bit down on it but it seems fine from what I've played. Easily digestible comfort-food gaming. But when you ape another title so obviously, and that title is one of the most revered games of the past decade, people are obviously going to make comparisons that may not be entirely flattering.

Just an added aside, what I hate about that scanning thing is the fact it just vibrates when you're hovering over something, so you can "see" through the scenery, etc. BOTW was more "oh that looks interesting, I'll pin it"; it's one mechanic I just wish this team had lifted pretty much verbatim.

I need to preface this with some caveats: I was never a Nintendo kid. Sega all the way, baby. I missed out on Mario 64 and Ocarina Of Time so they're firmly in the "I can see why you'd love them but nah, I'm good" camp. Wind Waker was my first real Zelda 3D experience. So Nintendo fanboy I am not.

Having said all that if anyone genuinely felt that any game could match up to BotW then you're fucking bonkers. I'm not going to get into hyperbolic gushing but it's clear to anyone who's played it, even those that don't particularly like it, that it's something special. There's far too much going on in that game that makes it work in the way that it does that people may be realising due to Immortal not capturing those elements in the same way.

No doubt I'm going to get it in the neck of some about this but fuck it, BotW is peerless. Stick an IMO anywhere in there that you like.

17 minutes ago, Majora said:

That sounds a bit down on it but it seems fine from what I've played. Easily digestible comfort-food gaming. But when you ape another title so obviously, and that title is one of the most revered games of the past decade, people are obviously going to make comparisons that may not be entirely flattering.

Some of the things it copies are so odd, as well. Why bother putting potions in the game if there's literally no experimentation to be had? It's just a pointless step turning collectibles into (more useful) potions, but you end up comparing it to BOTW.

Same as the climbing - there's no challenge to be had, so why bother with a stamina meter? The ledges on everything are placed so you barely even need to use a stamina potion.

Anyway, despite all the negativity, I'm having a lovely time with it. I've recently been playing Ghost of Tsushima, and that's even more linear than an AC game, so if you compare to those, this is a lot more enjoyable.

Stagguh-Lee-Immortals-Fenyx-Rising-20201

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Same as the climbing - there's no challenge to be had, so why bother with a stamina meter? The ledges on everything are placed so you barely even need to use a stamina potion.

There are plenty of places that your default stamina won't get you to. Especially if you're approaching enemy encounters in creative ways.

Thing is, this absolutely isn't BOTW. At least partially, I think it was designed based on things people didn't like about BOTW as much as things that they did. And, obviously, then squeezed into the Anvil engine.

I very much enjoyed BOTW, but some of you are giving me terror traversal flashbacks when you talk about the 'wonder' and 'exploration' that comes with reduced signposting. And I'm just there trying to get a new sword for a scrap without investing 4 hours in the process.

I think the HUD's got some customisation options - maybe the people who want that experience can simply turn the signposting off?

Well I’m about 3 hours in and I think it’s great so far. I’ve chuckled at a few bits like the magnet bracers which are lifted from BOTW wholesale but I am feeling that it’s doing it’s own thing. It’s quite charming too. 

Im sure it will fall off a cliff at some point but considering it wasn’t on my radar it feels like a fresh (relatively) Xmas experience. 

I’m amazed that I’ve already put 8 hours into this since Saturday evening. And I’ve probably only done about half the first main zone. I also had to nip into the big Ganon’s Castle area around the volcano for a short while and that felt great - all the enemies were too much for me, so I had to creep about the place, trying to avoid them.