Immortals Fenyx Rising - Burp of the Wild

9 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

This is Beyond Good and Evil all over again. I picked that up just after Christmas after launch for peanuts and it's gone on to be thought pretty highly of.

It's typical really though.

Gamers: Ubisoft take no risks and just release the same games over and over.

Ubisoft: Okay, try this then!

Gamers: No.

This game is only a risk stylistically. Aesthetically it doesn't look like a Ubisoft game (except maybe Starlink, which also tanked despite being a good game). Also Ubisoft buried this. Why they released it within weeks of Valhalla AND Watchdogs is baffling. It's all of their own making.

1 minute ago, grounded_dreams said:

Thanks for the heads up, just ordered the PS4 version to play on my PS5, via Amazon.

As its one of those 'PS5 upgrade path' games, which will allow me to download the PS5 version of the game onto the console, if I've read up on the details correctly.

Yup. It is. I inadvertently ordered the PS4 version, but it's a free upgrade to PS5 so it's fine. 

I'm not salty paying £45 for it tbh. I'll get my worth from it. 

I'm finding quite a steep drop-off in enjoyment at King's peak. 

Spoiler

We're talking no navigation. Limited visibility. Limited mobility. Power reduction. Arbitrary aurora borealis walls. A map design that sees you descending into unconsidered crevices of bland white.

There's actually some really inventive design in this section, but it's utterly crushed by the drudgery of it all. 

I'll stick with it, because this game is genuinely very good, and has some great things left to offer, but man. Playtest more. I'm not a Souls/Sekiro guy, and I'm not a catholic. If it's not fun, I'm on my way out.

9 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

This game is only a risk stylistically. Aesthetically it doesn't look like a Ubisoft game (except maybe Starlink, which also tanked despite being a good game). Also Ubisoft buried this. Why they released it within weeks of Valhalla AND Watchdogs is baffling. It's all of their own making.

Just like Beyond Good and Evil then.

Ubisoft are hopeless with new IPs, they throw money at them and then send them out to die.

Real shame because this is easily the best thing they’ve put out all year

How’s this one Series S? I’m wondering if the 60fps mode is decent. 

It’s £35.99 in the sale and there’s a rewards punchcard offer for 5000 points if you spend £35 in the sale - basically a fiver off. Or if you can be bothered messing around with Brazilian credit, it’s £28. 

Definitely a clunkier start than BOTW and not letting me start until I logged into that Ubisoft bollocks didn't help. I'm looking forward to playing it full screen later as I can't get on with playing games handheld on the Switch. I think the Zelda muscle memory might take a while to wear off too. 

Yeah it doesn’t start great but it does warm up quite quickly. It’s got a nice vibe all round, and is a nice diversion from Cyberpunk. At least it seems solid and consistent so far. 

Early impressions; world and traversal is clunky compared to BOTW, but much prefer the combat. It’s surprisingly funny and seems to have a bit of heart for an Ubi open world game. So far so happy dropping £23 for it

Looking forward to getting stuck in to it properly over Christmas hols

Managed to put about 2 hours into this, this evening, and so far, I’m very impressed.

It looks very generic in YouTube videos, but when you’re playing it, I think it looks great. Looks lovely on Series S - it’s 1080p60 or 1440p30, but the 60fps mode just feels miles better to play and looks less blurry, too. 

6JfcCWD.jpg

I like how quickly they get you into the game, everything’s nice and snappy and I even like the humour. It’s had me laughing out loud 4 or 5 times. 

Does this screen tear on Series X/PS5? There’s a little bit on S, but I don’t really mind it given it’s a budget console and has only happened about 5 times in 3 hours. 

I’m still loving this. It’s got that same BOTW thing where in screenshots you can pick up on graphic flaws, but it looks wonderful in motion.

FUH8vdD.jpg

1 minute ago, Majora said:

Now that I can't go home for Christmas I need something nice and bright to get stuck into to distract me.

It is definitely that and i's a real nice contrast to the darkness of Demon's Souls that I am also playing through just now.

Also, I'm sure that the PC version has added some higher graphics settings since I last played which makes it look even prettier. So that's nice..

Very tempted to pick this up but after putting 70 hours into Valhalla I'm not sure I can stomach another open world game right now. 

Is it like BotW quite a bit? (I don't like BotW) 

1 hour ago, Ry said:

Very tempted to pick this up but after putting 70 hours into Valhalla I'm not sure I can stomach another open world game right now. 

Is it like BotW quite a bit? (I don't like BotW) 

It's very much like it, but what was it you didn't like about BotW? It's different in a lot of ways that might make it more your thing, depending. 

It's better than Valhalla certainly. 

I think the fact weapons don’t degrade and the health revival without having to get into cooking are a massive change. They are the systems in BotW that I heard the most moaning about. I love BotW and they have certainly streamlined (dumbed down?) aspects of that in this.

Having said that I’ve only just done the plateau, sorry I mean starting Island and they have just mentioned crafting potions so there is possibly a little crafting depth.