Immortals Fenyx Rising - Burp of the Wild

14 minutes ago, matt0 said:

Could've been the translation or my own interpretation.

If the FPS is Metroid Prime then yeah, it wasn't bad I guess... ;)

That's wasn't made in Japan by Nintendo anymore than Goldeneye was.

3 minutes ago, Majora said:

Of all the things they've taken from BOTW, lessons about the importance of empty space doesn't seem to have been one of them. It's incredibly busy, visually.

It is isn’t it, it looks like a theme park. 

2 hours ago, Broker said:

if increased hardware power lead to Nintendo joining the industry wide competition for the blandest photo realism I’d struggle to enjoy their games as much. Red Dead is only interesting to me when there’s buildings, the rest just reminds me why I hate walking in the real countryside and looking at endless identical trees.

Yeah, it's not my first choice of comparison, but it's something that most of us are familiar with. When Link exits the cave to that amazing intro with the landscape opening up in front of him, with Hyrule Castle and the flying beast in the distance, surrounded by mountains and rivers... Then you turn towards the old boy down by the church.

All of that's beautifully directed and stylised (characters aside, for me), but then shortly after you're faced with repetitious textures as the camera zooms in, suddenly noticing the Vaseline smear on everything. Exploring Hyrule Castle feels like a different game, as if ported from a copy that ran on more powerful hardware and was downgraded. I'll retract what Stan called me on when I said it was forced into this artstyle, because more accurately I think it's a mostly good artstyle that's highly compromised by its hardware.

I know this is the Odyssey team, but something about the art design and UI reminds me of Starlink. I wonder if those guys are also on this now. I ignored all the bloat and really enjoyed the main quest-lines of that game.

It's quite something to take a game as fresh as Breath of the Wild, copy it so carefully, and end up with a game that looks like 100 others. I mean, say what you like about the combat or the breaking weapons in BotW - it had its own feel, it needed figuring out. With this, I was bored of the combat before he'd killed the first cyclops in that longer video.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 28/09/2020 at 20:13, bumgut said:

Well I don’t have a switch so I’m looking forward to the table scraps of BOTW  this game represents.

Can’t wait to see what the fuss is about!

Like comparing dog shit and chocolate ice cream.