Jump to content

Immortals Fenyx Rising - Burp of the Wild


Recommended Posts

On 31/12/2020 at 23:16, dreamylittledream said:


Have you got both upgrades for the hammer?

 

Get both upgrades for the hammer...it does some serious damage

 

Edit: and if you think he’s annoying wait until you meet Atlantia and her fucking bear


I thought Atalanta was the easiest of all of them, she does very few unblockable attacks, so she can just be parried repeatedly. I just ignored her bear and pummelled her. 
 

Herakles was probably one of the tougher ones, but I liked how he does pushups and hits poses during his attacks. 
 

All wraiths done now, so going to press on with the main story. 
 

 

Oh, and I finished off all the challenges which have a map next to them (with the markers that go blue when you complete the challenges) - is the final bit of this on King’s Reach?  Because after hearing Daidalos’ last message, I don’t seem to have anywhere to go next. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a confession to make; I’ve been playing this on story mode and enjoying it equally as a light puzzler to pick up and play and just smash stuff. I think it’s too light in tone and variety and character progression to get me fully invested in it as a story or heroes journey but it’s a well made. I think I’d be more engaged if the weapons armour were unique and less cosmetic feeling.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, macosx said:

I have a confession to make; I’ve been playing this on story mode and enjoying it equally as a light puzzler to pick up and play and just smash stuff. I think it’s too light in tone and variety and character progression to get me fully invested in it as a story or heroes journey but it’s a well made. I think I’d be more engaged if the weapons armour were unique and less cosmetic feeling.

 

Given that they’re all about tweaks to your fighting style, and creating synergies, that’d be easier for the developers to achieve if you weren’t playing on story mode :-D

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, footle said:

Given that they’re all about tweaks to your fighting style, and creating synergies, that’d be easier for the developers to achieve if you weren’t playing on story mode :-D

The different weapons are just buffs to two generic weapons, sword and axes, eg. 40% damage on first hit if you have full health etc. Hardly changing up a fighting style. It feels like Darksiders combat. Still fun smashing stuff on story mode though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Started playing this last night and already enjoying it. Such a nice vibrant looking and easy pick up and play game. 

 

Played a couple of hours this morning which has seemingly been lost. Went to manually save and it just hung there forever. Had to manually quit the game from the dash and reboot it (to find my last 2 hours progress gone). Playing on XSX, my guess is that Quick Resume is to blame, it breaks the connection with Ubi servers and fucks everything up including the ability to save. Would recommend that anyone playing on Series consoles manually reset the game before playing and not use Quick Resume (probably best with all recent Ubi games).

 

Also, I'm noticing a bit of screen tearing in this. Playing on Performance mode as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Decided to give this one last go before selling it on. Mainly because I really like the graphics, how colourful and videogamey it all looks. Went back to the area you start in and War’s Den. Next thing I knew, 5hrs had passed and I’d been up most of the night. The environments have more space. They have more distinctive features. The tasks (though still really simple affairsj are mixed up and spread out more. The larger “dungeons” have more to them and don’t just contain block shifting puzzles repeated over and over. More importantly though hrs in and......the game had never prompted me to return to the starting hall. Upon doing so the game suddenly drops in a reason for me collecting loads of stuff in the world - upgrading stamina, upgrading health, upgrading weapons and armour etc. By being able to upgrade stuff the game now plays snappier in terms of traversal, combat etc. 
 

Also realised that one of the reasons I was not enjoying this is because the main story is just absolute bobbins. The characters constantly waffle on with random, impenetrable and really annoying dialogue that makes little to no sense. As soon as you play the game more like BOTW and just go your own way, at your own pace and the inane voice overs trigger less often then, the game becomes more entertaining.  Large chunks of it are definitely poorly designed but it’s nowhere near as bad as the first impressions it gave me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Started playing this last night and already enjoying it. Such a nice vibrant looking and easy pick up and play game. 

 

Played a couple of hours this morning which has seemingly been lost. Went to manually save and it just hung there forever. Had to manually quit the game from the dash and reboot it (to find my last 2 hours progress gone). Playing on XSX, my guess is that Quick Resume is to blame, it breaks the connection with Ubi servers and fucks everything up including the ability to save. Would recommend that anyone playing on Series consoles manually reset the game before playing and not use Quick Resume (probably best with all recent Ubi games).

 

Also, I'm noticing a bit of screen tearing in this. Playing on Performance mode as well.

 

I’m on PS5 playing performance mode. There’s a tiny bit of screen tearing in some cutscenes but when out in the world, the game is rock solid. However, I’ve had the game crash with a game/app error message and keep getting messages saying “the game save couldn’t sync” for some reason. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wrapping up Wars Den at the moment. The Hephaestus area with the forge was great fun, and now defeated all the corrupted heroes so have...

 

Spoiler

Some really fancy armour now :)


So far it’s a very solid 7/10 for me. Nothing earth shattering about it at all but it’s just quite relaxing to play. Been a perfect Christmas holiday game to dip in to for an hour or so daily. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Started playing this last night and notice that the HDR implementation is just as shit as in Valhalla. What is it with Ubi being unable to do HDR without washing out all the colours and making everything seem foggy? I know it’s not my tele as other games have been stunning in HDR. 
 

Gameplay wise, I’m enjoying it, it is to BOTW what the original Darksiders was to OOT and that’s ok in my book.

 

I do feel it may have been a mistake to play this directly after Valhalla but here are. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to pick up Horizon: ZD, but I feel like I need a gap between open world games.

 

I'm actually missing the Fenyx world, now that it's done. But the automaton baddies were such cunts for me. I swear I dispatched a wraith or two with less effort than those guys. I wonder if there was a trick to it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BabelRich said:

Started playing this last night and notice that the HDR implementation is just as shit as in Valhalla. What is it with Ubi being unable to do HDR without washing out all the colours and making everything seem foggy? I know it’s not my tele as other games have been stunning in HDR. 


Seen a few people mention the HDR implementation on Valhalla. Are you on Series X or PS5? I’m on the latter and this is retina searingly colourful! It looks absolutely fantastic. No problems with Valhalla either which also looks great. However, Valhalla does have weather effects such as cloud cover and mist that purposefully mute the colour palette. Maybe it’s a bug or something?

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, CrichStand said:


Seen a few people mention the HDR implementation on Valhalla. Are you on Series X or PS5? I’m on the latter and this is retina searingly colourful! It looks absolutely fantastic. No problems with Valhalla either which also looks great. However, Valhalla does have weather effects such as cloud cover and mist that purposefully mute the colour palette. Maybe it’s a bug or something?

Hmmmm. I’m on XSX so maybe. Both games were so much nicer with HDR off. Maybe it’s the way Ubi do it that my tv doesn’t like? I have to admit I’m not massively knowledgeable about such things, all I know is Tetris effect, Destiny and Ghosts of Tsushima looked utterly stunning with HDR on and these don’t.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CrichStand said:

 

I’m on PS5 playing performance mode. There’s a tiny bit of screen tearing in some cutscenes but when out in the world, the game is rock solid. However, I’ve had the game crash with a game/app error message and keep getting messages saying “the game save couldn’t sync” for some reason. 

Yeah, it's not game breaking to be fair, just the first game I have played in a while where I have seen it so it is more glaringly obvious when it does occur.

 

Amazingly colourful game though, looking forward to playing some more later and making up on those lost 2 hours from earlier!

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, BabelRich said:

 

Hmmmm. I’m on XSX so maybe. Both games were so much nicer with HDR off. Maybe it’s the way Ubi do it that my tv doesn’t like? I have to admit I’m not massively knowledgeable about such things, all I know is Tetris effect, Destiny and Ghosts of Tsushima looked utterly stunning with HDR on and these don’t.


Just tried climbing up high and advancing the time of day and like Valhalla, at certain times and under certain conditions, there’s a mist weather/lighting effect, across areas/valleys of the World. So I fast travelled to one of those locations and it’s misty and foggy there and things look more washed out, especially in the distance. I think it’s just a weather effect and design decision you’re probably seeing that’s dependent on the location. Or maybe that’s what shit HDR looks like? Lol. I’m not knowledgable on such things either!

 

 Go to the top of the tower in the Springs level and see what it looks like there. Should be really bright, bold and incredibly colourful!

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, CrichStand said:


Just tried climbing up high and advancing the time of day and like Valhalla, at certain times and under certain conditions, there’s a mist weather/lighting effect, across areas/valleys of the World. So I fast travelled to one of those locations and it’s misty and foggy there and things look more washed out, especially in the distance. I think it’s just a weather effect and design decision you’re probably seeing that’s dependent on the location. Or maybe that’s what shit HDR looks like? Lol. I’m not knowledgable on such things either!

 

 Go to the top of the tower in the Springs level and see what it looks like there. Should be really bright, bold and incredibly colourful!

Ta. I’ll give it a shot next time I get on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally picked this up, 30 from Curry's on PS5. I'm having a great time with it, it looks fantastic with super bright colours, blue skys and rock solid 60fps from what I can tell. Having never played BOTW this is a great change of pace to what I normally play. Great time sink while locked down off work!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/01/2021 at 14:06, BabelRich said:

 

Hmmmm. I’m on XSX so maybe. Both games were so much nicer with HDR off. Maybe it’s the way Ubi do it that my tv doesn’t like? I have to admit I’m not massively knowledgeable about such things, all I know is Tetris effect, Destiny and Ghosts of Tsushima looked utterly stunning with HDR on and these don’t.

Ubisoft is generally shite at hdr. It's not as bad in this as in Valhalla mind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I might be pretty much done with this (33 hours in). I've reached the point of no return, done all the major quests and killed 4 wraiths. I've still got loooaaaads to do on the map, but have had my fill of pretty much all the puzzles, but could see myself playing it a bit more just for the Vaults and there's one island off the coastline I haven't explored which looks interesting (stormy one off the coast of Athena's bit).

 

King's Peak was a bit disappointing. It's oddly linear but has loads of little puzzles off the main path, but I just couldn't be bothered with any of them on my climb up it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think I might be pretty much done with this (33 hours in). I've reached the point of no return, done all the major quests and killed 4 wraiths. I've still got loooaaaads to do on the map, but have had my fill of pretty much all the puzzles, but could see myself playing it a bit more just for the Vaults and there's one island off the coastline I haven't explored which looks interesting (stormy one off the coast of Athena's bit).

 

King's Peak was a bit disappointing. It's oddly linear but has loads of little puzzles off the main path, but I just couldn't be bothered with any of them on my climb up it.

There’s a couple of hours after the point of no return that are worth doing. You’re forced to create a save point anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This has really clicked with me the last couple of days.

 

Destroyed my first Wraith last night as well as completing the Aphrodite quest line (her dungeon area was great fun to clear). I am loving the puzzle elements, especially the environment based ones.

 

It is maybe a little too dense on the puzzle side but hey, its a Ubi game and kudos to them actually incorporating challenges into their collectibles (the last time they did this was some of the clever puzzles they put into the old AC games, miss those).

 

Oh, and my steed is a Purple Unicorn!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished this over the weekend.  Lovely game, and just the perfect antidote to Demon's Souls and Cyberpunk stressing me out.  I loved the exploring, and didn't get too hung up on the ridiculous number of icons on the map.  

 

Couldn't be bothered to hunt down any trophies after it finished, but at 35 hours I think I had my money's worth.

 

What a great game.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got to the same point as Footle yesterday. But think I will mop up some more vaults before heading up the point of no return. 

 

I have thoroughly enjoyed the vast majority of my time with the game though. Kings peak was a smidge annoying on occasion  It's a good one overall though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished this yesterday, putting just shy of 50 hours into it. For the most part I really enjoyed it, however it really takes a nose dive from King's Peak onwards and the final battle and ending were a real let down for me. However I certainly got my money's worth out of it.

 

I played it in Quality mode on the Series X and thought it looked lovely, and it sounds amazing with Headphones running Dolby Atmos. Also was in general really stable and bug free (in contrast to the reports I've heard about the two big Ubisoft releases of Watchdogs and AC), apart from the occasional issue with Quick Resume. Although even that may have been patched as I haven't had an issue with that since the beginning of Jan.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume King's Peak is the big mountain at the north of the map? I keep wanting to go explore there but it looks too important to not form part of the critical path at some point anyway.

 

I'm partway through Haphaestus' area and then I still have War's Den after that too. With hindsight I wish I hadn't done the left hand side of the map first as it means I did the two lush green areas in succession and then do the two brown, broken areas in succession too. I'd recommend someone starting out to mix them up to keep it fresher visually. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

The

  Reveal hidden contents

Medusa

Fight is pure, unadulterated dog shit. The only real low point so far.

 

Spoiler

Do you mean the one in the God Vault where you have to move the boxes / statues and she has 3 stages? 

 

I did that as my third main area with a fully upgrade Axe and smashed the shit out of her really easily. I think a lot may depend on the order you do things and how much upgrading you do. I did very little on my other weapons. The last main area I'm doing now 'Haphaestus' I'm smashing through most of the bad guys in 4-5 hits. Which is good for me because having put 38 hours in (estimate finish time around 50?) I am happy to wind it up now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

The

  Reveal hidden contents

Medusa

Fight is pure, unadulterated dog shit. The only real low point so far.


I thought that until half way through the fight when I realised your supposed to reflect the projectiles back at her and then she’s a doddle

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.