Immortals Fenyx Rising - Burp of the Wild

Yeah the main way it differs from Botw is that it's a much more directed and focused AAA-style take on the concepts. That's not inherently a bad thing, I think it's pretty successful overall at what it does. 

There are a few little things a sequel could use to make a really special game, but I doubt there will be one. 

31 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Yeah the main way it differs from Botw is that it's a much more directed and focused AAA-style take on the concepts. That's not inherently a bad thing, I think it's pretty successful overall at what it does. 

There are a few little things a sequel could use to make a really special game, but I doubt there will be one. 

This is what annoys me. 

It’s a good game but people keep comparing it to BOTW. I’m hoping it sells enough at Xmas to break even and justify another. 

People are comparing it to BOTW because it's incredibly brazen in its inspiration. When you lift so much from another title almost ad verbatim, both mechanically and visually, it's inevitable. People talk about how BOTW itself was inspired by other open world games and that is true but not like this. It'd be like if not only did BOTW include towers across the map but the towers each had a perch and Link would sit on it while a bird flew overhead before he dove into a cart of hay at the bottom of the tower. Immortals is so blatant with its 'inspiration' at times it's like the game design equivalent of uncanny valley.

I did play it for about 4 hours straight this evening though and enjoyed practically all of it. I think the gameworld can be far too dense - I literally came across 2 sliding block puzzles, 2 races and a 'shoot the arrow through the hoops' chest within the space of about 5 minutes. At times it can feel like a collection of minigames scattered across a field rather than an actual world. But because there's always something to do in your immediate vicinity it's very hard to put down and I do think combat is one area where it probably edges out BOTW. 

I think I might be doing combat wrong as I find it really hard, like the soldiers and jabba things are fine but bears, minotaurs and cyclops batter me to hell if I get close so I either whittle them down with remote control arrows or run round looking for rocks to chuck at them.

I know, git gud kid etc. 

You need to make judicious use of dodge and parry, it is quite easy to get overwhelmed by groups of enemies. I find the regular enemies in this harder than the boss fights in general, and much more fun to fight. You really have to stay active and make use of your different moves. Also worth upgrading your attack/defence potion buffs. 

7 hours ago, Fletch said:

I think I might be doing combat wrong as I find it really hard, like the soldiers and jabba things are fine but bears, minotaurs and cyclops batter me to hell if I get close so I either whittle them down with remote control arrows or run round looking for rocks to chuck at them.

I know, git gud kid etc. 

Upgrade your axe, pair it with the medusa style set that refills a chunk of health on stun, and feel free to glug down potions any time you're in trouble. There's a lot of materials in the world for refilling them. Daedalus hammer's a pretty handy thing to spend Charon coins on too.

1 hour ago, cassidy said:

10hrs in now and just did the first proper boss and then decided to open up the map. Wanted to climb Kings peak but game won't let me yet. Most annoying. 

I haven’t even left the Aphrodite area yet! Are the other levels ok in terms of enemy difficulty? I was thinking about checking out some of the others but still probably have a good couple of hours to do in just Valley of Spring or whatever it’s called. I haven’t done any of the story missions yet, apart from just getting Phosphor (who seems to be largely pointless).

20 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I haven’t even left the Aphrodite area yet! Are the other levels ok in terms of enemy difficulty? I was thinking about checking out some of the others but still probably have a good couple of hours to do in just Valley of Spring or whatever it’s called. I haven’t done any of the story missions yet, apart from just getting Phosphor (who seems to be largely pointless).

Phosphor is not pointless at all, in fact get him upgraded with different skins and he can do huge stun damage with his special attack.  Made the first boss way easier. 

I just run through them quick to unfog  so didn't really explore the other areas in detail. 

Bought this on Stadia last night (and it looks great and plays wonderfully). It definitely feels a bit ‘Breath of the Wild: Gameloft Edition’, but it’s a welcome change to the usual grimdark adventure bullshit and I’m liking it so far. The battle system is fun and satisfying, and I’m enjoying working my way from one waypoint to another. Perfect for some light Christmas gaming.

40 minutes ago, Raquorra said:

Upgrade your axe, pair it with the medusa style set that refills a chunk of health on stun, and feel free to glug down potions any time you're in trouble.

I've done this and it's made those larger enemies easier. I've also upgraded the axe attack to do more damage whilst sprinting which does a lot of stun damage and doesn't use much stamina so you can chain them to stun large enemies quite quickly.

I'm about 20 hours in now and getting a little annoyed by one of the dungeons, so I've decided to bugger off and climb the other two gods instead.

The humour has suddenly got rather juvenile as well with Zeus snickering away after Fenyx has climbed a god's mighty hammer. In fact Zeus annoys me constantly, I think it's just the actor voicing him. I like the narration stuff from Prometheus, though.

One of the things I love most about it is that everything in the world feels like it's there for an actual purpose. Seeking out Ambrosia gives you health, completing dungeons adds towards your stamina and the various puzzles littered across the landscape grant coins which further enhance you. It's probably been the first game since Crackdown where I'm actively seeking out specific items because I know they're going to greatly aid me and hopefully discover even cooler stuff.

Aside from Hades, this is probably the longest amount of time I've put into a new game this year.

9 hours ago, Fletch said:

I know, git gud kid etc. 

Parry attacks become hugely powerful as you upgrade. And perfect dodges (yes, like BOTW) let you do plenty of damage while refilling your stamina bars.

Basically, when you relax into it, you find it's easier to not get hit. But it might take a minute to click.

1 hour ago, strider said:

In fact Zeus annoys me constantly, I think it's just the actor voicing him. I like the narration stuff from Prometheus, though.

(Actual) blasphemy! He basically verges into Matt Berry territory on occasion, which is excellent. 

47 minutes ago, Delargey said:

I loved BotW and I'm really into mythology so this seems like a game for me.

Anyone played the switch version?

Yep I'm playing the Switch version and all seems fine to me. Playing it docked on the big screen haven't noticed any issues but I'm not usually that sensitive to that kind of thing. 

14 hours ago, deerokus said:

Yeah the main way it differs from Botw is that it's a much more directed and focused AAA-style take on the concepts. That's not inherently a bad thing,

100% inherently bad from my point of view, so thanks, as I was wavering about this one.  You've decided me.

18 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

100% inherently bad from my point of view, so thanks, as I was wavering about this one.  You've decided me.

To be clear, you can still do pretty much what you want. It’s not a typical Ubisoft game in that it doesn’t populate the map with hundreds of question marks automatically. You can still walk round the map ‘discovering’ things and pissing about but the next main quest thing is always marked ready for you to do when you want to. 

There is slightly less variety so far on the type of thing you do. There are 5-6 key things like guarded chests, trials, speed running, challenges etc. However I have found a number of quite interesting optional puzzles so far in the 10 hours I played along with some nice environmental exploration. Totally hidden big sections with puzzles etc. It does hold your hand quite a bit for accessibility reasons. 

10 hours in and really enjoying it still. 

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

I need more coins of Karen I want to upgrade my skills. 

As far as I remember, Constellation puzzles are the biggest payoff. Though most navigation ones are the quickest and easiest.

I actually enjoy the Constellation jobs though. Mostly.

5 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I can't think what the constellation puzzles are right now? 

Where you drop multiple orbs into a grid on the floor so they match a mural on the wall. I've been finding them really quite time-consuming, I did one yesterday that must have taken at least half an hour. It's not always obvious where the orbs are and they can be spread out across a surprisingly large area.