IGNORED

KiKi KaiKai: Kuro Mantle no Nazo / Pocky & Rocky Reshrined

Klatrymadon

I thought this was a game where drag queens held a late night party (kiki) and then had sex with each other (kaikai), so I’m very grateful for the thread title change. 

Tengo Project's remakes truly are in a league of their own. The absolutely perfect balance of staying true to the source material and adding just enough new features to make the game enjoyable decades after its original release. Can't wait to see what they do next.

Did they do Wild Arms, Ninja Warriors Again and Kikikaikai partly because they were original team members on those games?  Or did I misread that.  If so, what other games did they make earlier?  And if not, I’d bloody love a re-do of SFC Assault Suits Valken for one!

18 hours ago, Quest said:

IMG_1733.thumb.jpg.5e1cd8a7924d3ad07542b01e6948f215.jpg

Mine finally arrived! Promised my daughter I'd wait until she gets home from school though... :unsure:

Looks nicer than the Western cover (as ever!). Does it have an English language option like some other Japanese Switch carts?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine turned up yesterday and I’ve finished story mode on normal. The game is old school tough but it saves at every check point and has (unlimited?) continues, so it’s fairly straight forward to blast through.

The game feels like a directors cut of the original SNES game so if you liked that, you’ll like this.

I think my biggest issue right now is the fact that with story mode finished, there’s nothing much else to do. You unlock ‘Free Mode’ for finishing story, which basically just allows you to select any character to play through the game.

In this instance I normally turn to trophies to determine things I can do to me keep playing and nearly ALL remaining involve 1CCing the game! Looking now, 7 of the 18 trophies are 1CCs. This is a pretty poor choice I have to say, over a third of the trophies geared towards 1% of the people will play the game.

I won’t be going for 1CCs as the game is super tough (I can’t even do stage 2 in a credit, never mind the whole game!) So I’m left wondering why I should keep playing other than for the fun of it.

13 hours ago, Goemon said:

I’m left wondering why I should keep playing other than for the fun of it.

Help me out here. I simply can't imagine any other reason to play a game. Unless you work in QA for a games dev.

Played through the first 3 stages - took me a while to get into the groove - but totally in love with it!

Bit strange that co-op isn't available at the start though. Unnecessary.

On 09/07/2022 at 21:31, smac said:

Help me out here. I simply can't imagine any other reason to play a game. Unless you work in QA for a games dev.

Sure.

I’m saying that in a game where there’s nothing left to achieve/do, then you’re only playing it for the fun.

I personally like to have a mix.

I was being a bit of a git - I know what you mean, although I generally never 'go for platinum' and the like. Something like this I'd play casually, then dip in continually at a low level for a while.

i want to give this a proper go on easy mode, shame you have to unlock it by playing normal and i'm useless at the normal mode, so not finding it fun at all so far. also think a twin stick mode would be more fun - is there one? anyone got any tips?

11 hours ago, spatular said:

i want to give this a proper go on easy mode, shame you have to unlock it by playing normal and i'm useless at the normal mode, so not finding it fun at all so far. also think a twin stick mode would be more fun - is there one? anyone got any tips?

I don’t think so, twin stick would change the aesthetic of the game quite a bit.

The biggest tip I can give is that it’s a run and gun game but you REALLY shouldn’t run as it will fill the screen with enemies and you’ll get overwhelmed. You need to pace your progress and think about your position as you move forwards. Some things respawn but some don’t, which also dictates how you move. It requires learning too, you couldn’t react your way through a level.

I would also say you should be conservative with your bombs, they’re a rare commodity so you have to be really strategic on where best to use them.

Stage 2 is actually a bit of a gate keeper. It’s really tough and stages after this don’t have that same difficulty jump again (if any jump at all). I’d probably need to play a bit more but I think stage 2 is harder than some of the stages that follow it, so don’t be put off if you’re struggling on that stage.

I agree with @Goemon - it's effectively a shmup where you can control your forward momentum. There isn't really much in the design that forces you through stages quickly so just take your time and you will likely make quicker progress.

Also, the power ups are colour coded so try and just pick up one type only so it doesn't reset (cards, wind, fire)