Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity - Nov 20th 2020.

2 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Hyrule Warriors was absolutely dire but this looks loads better. Amazing what an attractive art style can do for a game. 

thatsbait.gif

Oh god, I thought this was an actual true Zelda game, not Musou, but I am down like Charlie Brown for this either way.

Of course, knowing what happens dampens any real feeling of "save the day", everything will get smashed by Ganon anyway (although I suppose we will get to protect the villages that do survive into BotW). 

4 hours ago, Stanley said:

This is why I love Nintendo though, they’re kind of scatty and annoying sometimes, but then they just casually reveal a game which no one knew about or even knew they wanted, and made it one of the most exciting and interesting looking games in ages - just a few days after all that Mario stuff :wacko:

Yes, like cows getting fat before the slaughter, we know an eventual blood debt has to be paid, probably in the form of limited time-releases, baffling restrictions or an online infrastructure that is literally made up of potatoes with wires in them, but for now, let's enjoy the good times. 

A detailed trailer analysis from Zeltik, if you haven’t watched their videos before they dive deep into the lore and history of all all things Zelda, and are really, really excellent. 

Didn't get into Hyrule Warriors, but i like the idea of this game.  I've played so much of Breath of the Wild & loved every minute, but i really want to see this Hyrule in its Pre-Calamity state & do something different from exploration in these environments such as... fight in massive battles?  Yeah, that fits!

Playing as the other Champions sounds great too.  We didn't get enough of that group in BOTW & the DLC only wet my appetite for more info/characterisation about them so getting to both see & play them at their prime is very appealing.

Story-wise, I like how this is supposedly in 'continuity' with BOTW, but I hope they 'paint within the lines' so to speak. I can believe that Hyrule was under assault by massed armies of Ganon's forces before his actual emergence (One of the memories even confirms it, with Link having just fought a huge group of enemies, even a Lynel), but Zelda being allowed to fight (even with a Sheikah Slate) doesn't really fit with what we learned from the memories & the Diaries in Hyrule Castle.  Similar with that little Egg-shaped Guardian on the cover... a Guardian Ally or even extra playable character?  Cool, but why wasn't it taken over by Ganon's power like the rest?  Or was it?  Ally-turned- enemy that we have to put down?  As if the fate of the Champions wasn't downer enough... :(

And speaking of downer endings, it has to end with the Champion's defeats right?  That can be done well though.  Both Halo Reach & Crisis Core had their own take on the 'Doomed Last Stand' in gameplay & I look forward to what this game take on that could be.

I also hope that this game might contain teasers or hints for BOTW2. That reveal teaser for BOTW2 was so enigmatic... maybe this will shed some more light on what's going on there.

4 hours ago, the_debaser said:

It’d be good to play as Ganon at the end and lay the smackdown on the champions and link. 

to be fair - Zelda defeats Calamity Ganon at the end, or at least seals him away with her power.

6 minutes ago, tnman said:

If you can't play as Zelda in this, outside of her final heroic moments of realisation, I will not purchase it...

surely the final level is going to be Zelda blasting all the guardians to fuck then facing off against CG on her lonesome.

Seems such a perfect fit for the story with the huge battles with which we pieced together the story from the remains in Breath of The Wild, working in conjunction with Nintendo themselves and specifically that team, this could be something rather special. 

Reading/watching some more speculation about that little Guardian-like thing on the cover, the most compelling theory I came across is that its a Robbie/Purah adaptation of the Ancient Technology that might re-emerge in BOTW2 as a character/gameplay element.

More stuff coming at TGS:

■ TGS 2020 Online Channel Live Stream Schedule

(All times are Japan Standard Time.)

September 26 (YouTube)

21:00 to 21:50 – Koei Tecmo Two Key Titles Special Live Stream Part One: Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy – New trailer and first live gameplay for Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy, as well as other “firsts.”
22:00 to 22:50 – Koei Tecmo Two Key Titles Special Live Stream Part Two: Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity – First live gameplay of Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, as well as all sorts of the latest information such as character introductions by the development team. Featuring MC Ruriko Aoki, Yosuke Hayashi (producer), Masaki Furusawa (producer), and Ryouta Matsushita (director).

Apparently they are re-releasing the 4 Champion's Amiibo for this, so that probably means all the Zelda Amiibo will have some function like unlockable weapons or outfits. It'll be nice to get some more use out of all those Zelda Amiibo cards I have a full set of.

Perhaps you could even unlock different outfits for the Champions as well as Link.  Great Deity Revali maybe?

On 09/09/2020 at 19:47, Stanley said:

A detailed trailer analysis from Zeltik, if you haven’t watched their videos before they dive deep into the lore and history of all all things Zelda, and are really, really excellent. 

I love shit like this. Not only does it get me pumped for a game but analysis videos like the above often use slowed down and zoomed clips so they can show lore minutiae etc. This also has the advantage of showing how fucking detailed and incredible games are these days. Love it.

I still haven't gotten deep into BotW. Bought it on day one on Wii U and spent a couple of hours getting the gist and awesome vibe only for me to buy a Switch weeks later. Decided I'd prefer to play on Switch and so sold my copy.

I have it here but I haven't started because I want to dedicate my time solely on playing it yet I always seem to have a big PS4 or PC release hogging my time. The above video and my want of this new game has gave me the kick up the arse I need. Just been out to the shops, got myself 4 bottles of Estrella and I have Domino's on speed dial

Tonight's the night.

15 hours ago, amc said:

I love shit like this. Not only does it get me pumped for a game but analysis videos like the above often use slowed down and zoomed clips so they can show lore minutiae etc. This also has the advantage of showing how fucking detailed and incredible games are these days. Love it.

I still haven't gotten deep into BotW. Bought it on day one on Wii U and spent a couple of hours getting the gist and awesome vibe only for me to buy a Switch weeks later. Decided I'd prefer to play on Switch and so sold my copy.

I have it here but I haven't started because I want to dedicate my time solely on playing it yet I always seem to have a big PS4 or PC release hogging my time. The above video and my want of this new game has gave me the kick up the arse I need. Just been out to the shops, got myself 4 bottles of Estrella and I have Domino's on speed dial

Tonight's the night.

I envy you.  You’re in for such a treat. :D

If any videogame battle needed the musou treatment, the great battle against the Calamity would be it.

I think this is a brilliant idea, and even though I'm not a big musou fan, I'm absolutely looking forward to this. Anything that lets me take part in massive battles using one of the four champions, rendered in that glorious art style gets my vote.