Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity - Nov 20th 2020. Demo on the eShop now!

Bojangle

Downloaded and enjoyed this last night, must have spent a good few hours on it.  Still need to do one of the side missions and have a proper play as Zelda too so will put a couple more hours in tonight.

Didn't see anything in terms of refresh rate etc that would put me off (regular switch, docked)

Pre-ordered it a few days back and really looking forward to it arriving now

4 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Well they do cheap-er. It'll be £33 at some point but not for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages.

If you bought it with cheap credit and via the two game vouchers for £84 deal (like me) then it’s already £33 ;)

Actually I got it for £29 as I had £8 of gold coins to use too.

The Dataminers have been at work on the Demo, & may have found information on some extra characters.

Spoiler

if there are in there & are part of the story instead of just skins, then the plot may get very wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey indeed.

The demo for this was a surprise treat, I hadn’t realised just how much of BotW they’d managed to built in to the presentation and gameplay. I’ve never actually bought a Dynasty Warrior games but always liked the demos, might have to get this.

21 hours ago, Jarik said:

The Dataminers have been at work on the Demo, & may have found information on some extra characters.

Reveal hidden contents

if there are in there & are part of the story instead of just skins, then the plot may get very wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey indeed.

They might just be added to whatever the Adventure Mode equivalent is in this.

I had planned not to touch the demo, but got a bit bored earlier and dove in. MAN ALIVE, I always loved the original, but this is even more amazing than I had hoped. It just nails the entire reason of why I even play games in the first place, sticking me into the middle of thousands of enemies and letting me loose on them! And Impa is basically a house of pain, although I wasn't really sure what I was doing with Zelda. I can only imagine how much more variety is going to come with the champions.

Frame rate freaks can sod off. If you're going to let half a second of slowdown interfere with what is an absolute blast then that's your loss. The video above sits at near enough 30, and that's plenty for a game like this. It's not Street Fighter, where to-the-frame timing is vital. You can hit Y again at any point during your combo to continue attacking. What makes these games shine are the options given to you with limited attack buttons at their disposal, and what makes the Hyrule games so special among Musou games is that there are just so many more options around. I was unleashing arrows, remote bombs, and fire rods on top of my build-a-combo YX attacks, and it was glorious!

Half a second of slowdown is no problem, unless it's every other second. Glad you enjoyed it but to me, it's like listening to music with sputtering static interference. I gave it a good go because I loved the first game but it was hard not to be pulled out almost constantly. I'm confident that the release will be tighter but Nintendo simply don't have the same quality control when it comes to performance.

Got it yesterday and played for about 2 hours - first impressions:

I expected it to be more like Hyrule Warriors - so I was a bit confused at first. The new battle maps also seem to be contain quite a few corridors, so less free-roaming space. This could change though, I don't know.

There's a lot of stuff. Do a quest, get 9 new icons on the map. Spread around various parts of the map. However, you can select all of the icons by group through a menu, so it's not really a problem. Some of the icons only indicate a new recipe or a "buy a heart container with certain items" text-screen, so it's not really a chore.

Once you get in the flow the game plays very well, especially the fights against the large moblins and similar enemies. I was a bit sceptical at first, but totally awed once I got into it. I'm looking forward to play more of this.

Two-player mode is shite, especially in story-mode. As the screen is split horizontally, you can't see the upper half of the bigger enemies, so you don't know when to bash them. As the game is very easy up to now (playing on normal), this doesn't really matter though.

All in all, I'm slightly overwhelmed and a bit disappointed. However, this is similar to my inital feelings with Hyrule Warriors, which I then bought twice and put over 300 hours into in the Switch version... so that'll bode well :-)

3 hours ago, Cheyenne said:

Any word on whether there's an Adventure Mode or equivalent? The original Hyrule Warriors was ridiculous for the sheer amount of content, but all I've seen of this is the Story Mode.

No idea yet, sorry.