Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity - Nov 20th 2020. Demo on the eShop now!

On first impressions I’m not impressed. It’s not what I want from a Hyrule Warriors follow-up. Endless endless cut scenes and it’s all so po-faced. Also the frame rate is shit compared to the first game. It’s lost all its sense of fun, I think I’m out. 

1 hour ago, scottcr said:

aye. But the future has already changed because the wee guardian has come back and made a tower appear. 

It all depends on whether we’re dealing with Terminator 1 or Terminator 2 Time Travel.  It’s either a stable Time Loop where the Little Guardian was always there & the Central Tower was raised & later retracted or the past is actually being changed by the Little Guardians presence & things have a chance of turning out differently.

Frame rate is jerky in this. There’s a jank and lack of finesse you don’t expect from a Nintendo title, aside from the cutscenes which are top class. 

However, get to the game play and it’s super fun - I haven’t a fucking clue what I’m doing as Impa or Zelda but it’s certainly enjoyable, and a bit mad, and unlike any Zelda game I’ve played before (never played the first game).

it’s a must buy for me and I’ll admit a lot of that comes down to the setting, but I’m also looking forward to the crazy over the top crowd control enemy destroying too - it’s kind of cathartic. 

Just hope they get it a bit smoother, it makes Link’s Awakening look like it’s running at 120 FPS. 

I thought it was just handheld mode that was causing the woeful frame rate. Haven't tried it docked yet. Didn't the previous game have a much smoother framerate on Switch?

I can see this being fun, but definitely not a must buy right now while money's tight. 

Link is great fun to play, but I can’t seems to get the ‘flow’ of Impa & Zelda’s combat either.  I end up mashing buttons in Random order & amazing stuff is happening, I just wish I was in control of any of it.

Yeah I couldn't understand Impa's moveset at all either. Looked great and she was kicking some serious ass but I had no idea how the symbols worked.

Zelda's attacks just rotate through bombs, cryo, magnesis and stasis I think. You stop at the one you want and then press ZR to trigger a more powerful version of it. I think that's how it works anyway but I could be wrong.

It’s not the best tutorial really, it tells you that you can switch characters but doesn’t really explain why you should or what happens when you’re not controlling them. You appear to be able to do the special moves of other characters or items (the fire rod for example) with any characters. For those new to the genre such as myself it’s quite unclear. 

1 hour ago, Kayin Amoh said:

I thought it was just handheld mode that was causing the woeful frame rate. Haven't tried it docked yet. Didn't the previous game have a much smoother framerate on Switch?

The first Hyrule Warriors suffered from terrible frame rates when undocked, due to a bug which Nintendo never fixed. They left the resolution at 1080 despite the fact that the max undocked resolution is 720, so the frame rate was crippled for no reason.

Yeah it wasn't the most technically stable. 

Also the first was a bit vague about what conditions meant a fail state on the adventure mode. The story I could take or leave and played it to unlock characters, it was all about the adventure mode which was FUCKING ENORMOUS. Aaaaand pretty much the reason I won't be buying this at launch.

55 minutes ago, Retroguy said:

The first Hyrule Warriors suffered from terrible frame rates when undocked, due to a bug which Nintendo never fixed. They left the resolution at 1080 despite the fact that the max undocked resolution is 720, so the frame rate was crippled for no reason.

The frame rate on this one even when docked is worse than the “crippled” handheld frame rate for the first game. This looks nice but technically it’s a bit of a mess. 

9 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

The frame rate on this one even when docked is worse than the “crippled” handheld frame rate for the first game. This looks nice but technically it’s a bit of a mess. 

That’s a real shame- I was worried when seeing the graphics in the trailer about how they’d get a stable frame rate. Definitely won’t be picking it up then.

• Bojangle changed the title to Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity - Nov 20th 2020. Demo on the eShop now!
2 hours ago, Retroguy said:

Ah, I never played the Switch version. I'd just heard that it ran a lot better than the previous systems it was on.

Disappointing, I do like a smooth framerate.

3 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

Downloading now. How long does the demo last?

Its the entire first chapter.  Not sure how many episodes that is, but you can go back & replay previous battles & keep levelling up/looking for items & Koroks, & they've said the save game will transfer to the full version.

Edit: It’s the first 2 main battles & some side missions. The 4 ‘Champions’ missions then appear, but you’re prompted to get the full version if you try to select them.  You can keep exploring & levelling in the first 2 areas to your hearts content though.  I finding it very useful for practicing how the combat works.

5 hours ago, Jarik said:

Link is great fun to play, but I can’t seems to get the ‘flow’ of Impa & Zelda’s combat either.  I end up mashing buttons in Random order & amazing stuff is happening, I just wish I was in control of any of it.

Impa is an absolute KILLING MACHINE.  You can build up a wee army of followers, get your energy up high by battering basts and then lock onto a Moblin, hit A and BOOM.  So far, actually more powerful than Link.

2 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Ah, I never played the Switch version. I'd just heard that it ran a lot better than the previous systems it was on.

Disappointing, I do like a smooth framerate.

From what I've noticed, the very very very start of the first level is the worst of it, and then it's fine... 

Had a great time with this yesterday, it’s quite a generous demo! I had to save and quit in the end as I had to go to bed. But after being quite confused with Impa at the beginning, her and Zelda started to make sense, to the point the Link was starting to feel a bit vanilla.

Quite satisfying doing the map upgrades too.

Looking forward to playing more. 

Played it more tonight and it’s a little bit special, didn’t realise you can upgrade your weapons. Really starts to click when you start to understand the combos and different attacks. Really looking forward to the full game - demo gives you a good hour or more of content though, very generous. 

9 hours ago, scottcr said:

Impa is an absolute KILLING MACHINE.  You can build up a wee army of followers, get your energy up high by battering basts and then lock onto a Moblin, hit A and BOOM.  So far, actually more powerful than Link.

So, the key with Impa appears to be to use ZR to 'Paint' an enemy with a Rune, & once that enemy falls to use X to absorb that Rune?  Is that also how you generate the clones?

I just had an intriguing thought.  While the multiple timelines that split from Ocarina of Time's use of Time Travel was an after-the-fact rationalization to try to explain all the Zelda games in some kind of context, could the use of Time Travel here be an attempt to do the same kind of thing but this time on purpose & in accordance with a plan?

We could up with 2 Parallel Hyrules.  One where the Calamity emerged, corrupted the Divine Beasts, killed the Champions & destroyed much of the civilization before being held back for 100 years, & another where the little Guardian's intervention meant none of that happened, & you switch between these 2 timelines in Breath of the Wild 2.