Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity - Nov 20th 2020. Demo on the eShop now!

Bojangle

On 05/01/2021 at 20:14, Wiper said:

So, I wrote this off based on the demo: I love musou games, and very much enjoyed the original HW, but I found the constant frame-rate stutters (in docked mode - I didn't try hand held as I assumed it'd be worse) very unpleasant, particularly when they led to actual input lag. It just felt a bit icky to play.

However, in the recent Edge magazine thread Dekay voiced the opposite - that the framerate isn't all that bad. So, I thought I should check - does the game run better in the full/patched version? I'd like to grab it, as it's a gorgeous looking implementation of a genre I enjoy, but if it's as stuttery as the demo was I know I won't have the tolerance for it :(

The framerate isn't too bad - tbh, the start of the first battle in the demo is the worst I've seen it.  This game would absolutely benefit from more power though, 60fps and no draw in so bokoblins as far as the eye could see would be *epic*.  But it's still an *excellent* game and well worth it.

46 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

I think I've just unlocked the final story chapter, 50 hours in. I'm taking my time because this game is excellent and I don't want it to end.

Chapter 20 is the last one IIRC, there is quite a lot that you can do afterwards too though and also a second end sequence

28 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

Impa is so bonkers OP! The unlockable characters are great too.

Yeah, Impa is amazing, like with most of the others you do need a big group of basic enemies to get her power up on first.

Urbosa can also be mad OP.  You can readily get a full 3 bars of special attack just from one big group of basic enemies

13 minutes ago, scottcr said:

The framerate isn't too bad - tbh, the start of the first battle in the demo is the worst I've seen it.  This game would absolutely benefit from more power though, 60fps and no draw in so bokoblins as far as the eye could see would be *epic*.  But it's still an *excellent* game and well worth it.

Yeah, I was actually meaning to come back and answer my own question - I picked up the game to find out for myself, and the difference between demo and full game is night and day. The occasional hickup of the full version is sits within my tolerence levels, nowhere near as bad as the demo's stuttering, with none of the feeling of loss of control. Much better!

I'm glad deKay mentioned the performance being not so bad in the Edge thread, as otherwise I'd have written off the game based on the demo. A bit unfortunate they chose to advertise the game with a significantly worse-performing version!

I love playing as Impa in this; no idea whatsoever what is going on, I just mash X, Y and R and then some unbelievably mad stuff happens on screen and then the 1000KOs notification pops up.

I don't get Zelda at all though - her R ability is to activate her runes but this never seems to do anything, and her basic Y combo just seems to cycle through ineffectual attacks. I may have missed something up thread, but can anyone provide some quick tips?

Zelda is one of the best characters. 

Y basically cycles the Sheikah slate moves: Cryonis, Remote Bombs, Magnesis. Then Pressing X adds a move of increasing power. So you'd press YX for Magnesis Lv1, YXX for Lv2 and so on. YYX, YYXX, etc. and YYYX, YYYXX, etc. for the other two. Her Magnesis mine cart move always makes me laugh.

ZR will trigger certain states: e.g. causing  ice cubes to explode, or detonate the giant remote bomb you roll out.

Zelda's Sheikah moves can counter powerful enemies, so you aren't burdened by Slate cool-down. Then later in the game... mamma mia!

Here's a video:

2 hours ago, shirubagan said:

I think I've just unlocked the final story chapter, 50 hours in. I'm taking my time because this game is excellent and I don't want it to end.

The final story chapter is *after* the final boss...

3 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Zelda is one of the best characters. 

Y basically cycles the Sheikah slate moves: Cryonis, Remote Bombs, Magnesis. Then Pressing X adds a move of increasing power. So you'd press YX for Magnesis Lv1, YXX for Lv2 and so on. YYX, YYXX, etc. and YYYX, YYYXX, etc. for the other two. Her Magnesis mine cart move always makes me laugh.

ZR will trigger certain Staes: e.g. causing  ice cubes to explode, or detonate the giant remote bomb you roll out.

Zelda's Sheikah moves can counter powerful enemies, so you aren't burdened by Slate cool-down. Then later in the game... mamma mia!

Here's a video:

Thanks for that, really useful. I haven't seen half of those moves!

Does anyone understand weapon fusion? I understand what the emblems mean, but I’m not entirely sure how you imbue your weapons with the effects you want - sometimes I’ll fuse weapons but it doesn’t take on the characteristics of the weapon being absorbed and just adds EXP. I’ve unlocked a blacksmith ability to remove emblems but also not sure what the benefit of that would be :wacko:

23 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Does anyone understand weapon fusion? I understand what the emblems mean, but I’m not entirely sure how you imbue your weapons with the effects you want - sometimes I’ll fuse weapons but it doesn’t take on the characteristics of the weapon being absorbed and just adds EXP. I’ve unlocked a blacksmith ability to remove emblems but also not sure what the benefit of that would be :wacko:

If it's anything like the first one some weapons will have multiple benefits on them, so you can tailor your weapon how you want. As for how to do that I don't know I've only put a bit of time into it, sorry.

28 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I don't fully understand it either but a couple of things that might help you:

You can only have so many emblems on a weapon at once, the remove function allows you to get rid of a crap one (like increased damage against mid-air) so that you can get a better one from doing more fusions

Once your weapon is higher level (15+ ish) it seems faster to fuse together a bunch of lv1s to get something around lv5 and then fuse 2 or 3 of those lv5s into your high level weapon to progress it.

If say your main weapon is lv10 and you get a really good lv1 from a drop then just fuse the 10 into the new lv1 and you'll end up with the new one at around lv7-8 and way better than your old lv10

There are further blacksmith abilities that unlock later like being able to increase the max level limit

Oh and I have only very occasionally got anything decent from octo polishing a mystery weapon but that might just be bad luck!

I've only played an hour or two of it but I'm dead impressed by how different it is to the first. I wondered how they were going to make a sequel without retreading old ground but aside from it being fundamentally a musou game it's almost entirely new. It's astonishing how well they've adapted the BotW aesthetic to the template, to be honest. It also means I can go back to the first one as this one hasn't supplanted it, despite it being subjectively 'better' and more streamlined. The badges and weapon system in the first are a ball ache, man. I never seem to have enough money.

It's such a shame that the frame rate is rough as a dog, because the game itself is incredible.

On 18/01/2021 at 15:14, scottcr said:

I have absolutely no idea how to properly control

Reveal hidden contents

The great fairies'

but they are hilarious!

Omg I have them now too - as if this game couldn’t get any better, well it just did :lol:

It captures that feeling of a massive war right across Hyrule so, so well - the style of game play is absolutely perfect and fitting for it - I love how it includes such a big cast of playable characters from BoTW and fleshes out their stories too, really can’t wait for the sequel now. 

Wow!

wasn't expecting

Spoiler

boss fights in the divine beasts against the aspects of Calamity Ganon.  Pretty epic as well.  

If you're at all a fan of BOTW and looking forward to the sequel, just from a story perspective I'd say this is a must play.  Epicness.

Yeah totally agree, in many ways it almost feels as though the big war we heard about in Breath of The Wild, the story of it, was designed just for this game - it’s perfect. It’s  got those same melancholic beats as BoTW too, like totally epic and full of heroes but there’s a real end of the world type sadness to it also - it’s pretty bleak! 

And there’s just so much stuff - the map in it makes Ubisoft games look bare in comparison :lol:

Something I thought was done very well was the actual appearance of 

Spoiler

Calamity Ganon.  The champions were doing well, pretty joyfully working their way through the world and looking as though they were on top of things.  No real explanation is given, Ganon just appears and takes eveyrone by surprise at some random point in the day.  No ominous build up... no race against time.  Just... THERE'S YER DINNER. Liked that.