Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity - Nov 20th 2020. Demo on the eShop now!

Bojangle

I've seen quite a few people complaining about the story not matching up perfectly with BotW. I never got the sense it's supposed to be a canon prequel. In a zelda game that's a daft expectation anyway, but especially a musou spinoff. 

It's one step away from complaining that the story of smash brothers isn't consistent with the canon. 

I've not bought this yet which is crazy as the first game is my most played switch game. 

1 hour ago, Foxworth said:

You really should buy it. It's tremendous. The story doesn't quite match that of botw but it's still good. Might the time travelling egg changes the course of history or something like that.

I bought it right after my post, haha. The original HW has such an absurd amount of stuff to do that I'll probably be 'finishing' that for years 

I've been taking my time with this, savouring it, but that has meant that my Twitter feed just casually spoiled one of the main plot points, something that I'd hope would happen in the story:

Spoiler

The new Champions meet the old, with Teba not being that impressed with Revali's attitude.

No idea if or how this factors into the larger direction of the plot, but it'll be fun to find out.

My son finished the main story earlier today after about 30 hours playtime. Really enjoyed seeing more of the gang and was a little emotional towards the end. Very much Zelda's legend. Certainly not to the level of the dlc ending of BOTW but then I think that was somewhat elevated by the huge amount of time spent enjoying the world.

He's definitely going to be a musou fan after this though. I'm surprised the pro controller is still intact. If anything I think he's fixed the drift on the stick. 

Can't wait til BOTW 2! 

Little bit more main story progress, missions & side quests popping up all over the map.

Part of me wants to rush through the main story before any more of it gets accidentally spoiled, but the other part wants to take my time & level up the characters.

Do you need to level them all before you reach the endgame?  If I just concentrate on my favourites for instance, would that leave me at a disadvantage if I have to play at certain characters at certain points?

7 minutes ago, Jarik said:

Little bit more main story progress, missions & side quests popping up all over the map.

Part of me wants to rush through the main story before any more of it gets accidentally spoiled, but the other part wants to take my time & level up the characters.

Do you need to level them all before you reach the endgame?  If I just concentrate on my favourites for instance, would that leave me at a disadvantage if I have to play at certain characters at certain points?

If it's like the previous game, not really as if you have money you can pay to level them up.

Hmm well colour me surprised. I've never seen the appeal of mosou games before and they have never interested me but I thought "Well it's a bit of Zelda so just give the demo a go" and I'm happy I did. I quite enjoyed it! It's a bit mindless but that's no real bad thing in some ways. Should be a nice interesting game to get over christmas with a bit of money.

Well, I've tried again & again (especially in that 'training' Shrine you unlock early on) but I just don't get how Zelda's combat is supposed to work at all.  Mipha on the other hand, I got straight away & is my favorite character to use aside from Link.

1 hour ago, Jarik said:

Well, I've tried again & again (especially in that 'training' Shrine you unlock early on) but I just don't get how Zelda's combat is supposed to work at all.  Mipha on the other hand, I got straight away & is my favorite character to use aside from Link.

She's definitely difficult to get to grips with, but rewarding once you appreciate it. For example, if you've not yet tried the X X combo, get on it! It's almost a game-changer. As far as I can tell, she's meant to be using supplemental abilities more than she uses straight combat, think of her more as crowd-control AOE than as straight out DPS. She does her best damage when you take her into the air, my main piece of advice would be to slow down a little when using her. Start with X X rather than Y Y, and rain death from above.

Just started playing this and I'm pretty blown away by how much of an upgrade it is compared to it's predecessor. That wasn't a bad game by any means, but Age of Calamity just puts everything into a much more satisfying context then the Zelda MCU from the last title. The story mode and adventure mode have wisely been fused together and it just feels a lot nicer overall.

That it uses the art style from BotW is also a plus compared to the drab mish mash of the last one. Very pleasantly surprised by this. Can't wait to play more.

On 06/12/2020 at 15:45, deKay said:

40 hours later...

Completed! Albeit with a trillion icons left to clear on the map.

What kind of level do you need to be for the final battles? I’ve gotten a little paranoid about making sure that no character gets left behind level-wise so I keep replaying levels so I can earn funds to pour into training, but I’m guessing they don’t need all need to be maxed out to complete the game.

3 hours ago, Jarik said:

What kind of level do you need to be for the final battles? I’ve gotten a little paranoid about making sure that no character gets left behind level-wise so I keep replaying levels so I can earn funds to pour into training, but I’m guessing they don’t need all need to be maxed out to complete the game.

60-70 although it was a walkover at that.

And you only need 4 - I had Link, Zelda (her bow beasts the Guardians), Impa and Yunobo.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Wasn’t the first one longer because of DLC though? 

No. I put hundreds of hours in before even touching the DLC. Even after 600 hours I’d only started one of the three extra DLC maps.