IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

57 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

disc?

:) I know quaint  eh?!

Out of interest who will be buying disks next gen? For me it'll be just GanePass on the PC if I buy into anything. Suits the way I play games perfectly.

Problem these days with disks is with all the patching and install times etc they don't make sense. Even the case of selling them on to recoup some costs still doesn't make sense because of GamePass. Guess if you have a slow net connection maybe a reason... But again huge patches.

Think my days of buying physical media on consoles is done. :-/

I'd be physical by preference but physical died at the end of last generation.

Yeah  you can buy a disc now but you're lucky if even half the game you actually play is on there, even at lunch.

Like, random example, Forza Horizon 4.  How much of what that game is now existed at launch?  So yeah, great if you've got a physical copy but you're still downloading 90% of the game and you have to have the disc in to play it.

So yeah, I have to accept reality unfortunately.  As a person concerned with archiving and presentation it scares the shit out of me.  We're nearing a decade since they turned off the Xbox (1st gen) servers, the 360 ones are surely on notice once the "Seriously they called it that" comes out and a lot of gaming is going to be lost potentially forever.

We have 99% of everything commercially released for the Spectrum or Amiga.  We have everything commercially released and a lot not commercially released for the cart consoles and the PSX/Saturn/PS2 even.

I think this might be the first generation where we might genuinely lose stuff forever that people actually played, given they have largely remained uncracked and everything is store front locked away.  There are "scene" releases of stuff but mostly they're the day 1 version.  And even if you get a latest version they're so tied to online, even the single player games, that you won't be playing the same thing anyway.

30 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I'd be physical by preference but physical died at the end of last generation.

Yeah  you can buy a disc now but you're lucky if even half the game you actually play is on there, even at lunch.

Like, random example, Forza Horizon 4.  How much of what that game is now existed at launch?  So yeah, great if you've got a physical copy but you're still downloading 90% of the game and you have to have the disc in to play it.

So yeah, I have to accept reality unfortunately.  As a person concerned with archiving and presentation it scares the shit out of me.  We're nearing a decade since they turned off the Xbox (1st gen) servers, the 360 ones are surely on notice once the "Seriously they called it that" comes out and a lot of gaming is going to be lost potentially forever.

We have 99% of everything commercially released for the Spectrum or Amiga.  We have everything commercially released and a lot not commercially released for the cart consoles and the PSX/Saturn/PS2 even.

I think this might be the first generation where we might genuinely lose stuff forever that people actually played, given they have largely remained uncracked and everything is store front locked away.  There are "scene" releases of stuff but mostly they're the day 1 version.  And even if you get a latest version they're so tied to online, even the single player games, that you won't be playing the same thing anyway.

I'm sure there's people out there imaging as much as they can and archiving it for the day we have viable emulators for this Gen.   Patches and updates included.   I mean the Switch scene has all that regularly dumped and uploaded.  Ps4 games can be pirated and if you have the right firmware can be played on a hacked Ps4.  All it takes is someone giving enough of a shit to do it.   If you look on reddit there's plenty of people archiving away stuff preparing for this on the piracy and datahoarder subreddits. 

9 hours ago, Dudley said:

I'm not so sure about this bit. Strictly speaking they didn't even shut down the Xbox servers - the Xbox and Xbox 360 used the same Xbox Live. They kept Xbox compatibility well in to the 360's lifespan, and removed it only when it was limiting the 360 too much. They could add new capabilities to the Xbox 360 OS, but there was no mechanism to do a similar wholesale overhaul of the older system, so the update severed compatibility. The cost of severing access was the loss of online multiplayer on the original Xbox, and access to the limited library of Xbox Live Arcade games, so that was not a terribly unjustifiable decision.

In these days when they can update the Xbox 360 OS remotely - either the real OS or the virtual one in the newer consoles - and they're selling a significant Xbox 360 library to Xbox One owners, I think the older system might have a longer lifespan than expected. I would not be surprised if the cut-off a decade away.

I agree the plug is going to be pulled some day though. It's probably time for people to start experimenting with "how long can an authorised Xbox 360 continue to play games offline". The idea that some day nobody's going to be able to play Mass Effect 3 with all of its DLC is concerning given how central it was to the experience. "Project Ten Dollar" and the like means that there's a few years of games that are designed to be a pain in the ass if you don't have some bundled bit of DLC. It's probably a good argument for "definitive editions" that we're probably never going to get.

19 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Games in clear or black cases?

Will the disc still be on the wrong side?

Don't think I'll be buying many discs during the next generation, but I hope they switch over to cardboard cases as standard. You can make really nice ones that are a lot more ecologically friendly than the plastic ones we have now, and the more widespread it is the cheaper it'll be for everyone to do.