Xbox Series X | S

Associated article too, some interesting bits about the BC stuff they're doing. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-inside-xbox-series-x-full-specs

However, the compatibility team is renowned for pushing the envelope and some of the early work we saw with Series X is mouthwatering. Microsoft has already promised improved image fidelity, steadier frame-rate and faster loading times, but the early demos we saw look even more promising - and it is indeed the case that hints dropped in Phil Spencer's recent Series X blog post will result in selected Xbox One S titles running at higher resolutions on the new console. In fact, we saw Gears of War Ultimate Edition operating with a 2x resolution scale on both axes, taking a 1080p game all the way up to native 4K. It's an evolution of the Heutchy Method used to bring Xbox 360 720p titles up to full 4K, with often spectacular results. Crucially, the back-compat team does all the heavy lifting at the system level - game developers do not need to participate at all in the process.

"We are exploring ways of improving, maybe, a curated list of games," says Peggy Lo, compatibility program lead for Xbox. "Things that we are are looking at include improving resolution for games, improving frame-rates - maybe doubling them! And the way we're doing it is really exploring multiple methods. So we knew what we were doing with the Heutchy Method, maybe we'll change it a bit, there's a there's a few other methods that we're exploring.

Further goodies were to come - and owners of HDR screens are going to love the second key feature I saw. We got to see the Xbox One X enhanced version of Halo 5 operating with a very convincing HDR implementation, even though 343 Industries never shipped the game with HDR support. Microsoft ATG principle software engineer Claude Marais showed us how a machine learning algorithm using Gears 5's state-of-the-art HDR implementation is able to infer a full HDR implementation from SDR content on any back-compat title. It's not fake HDR either, Marais rolled out a heatmap mode showing peak brightness for every on-screen element, clearly demonstrating that highlights were well beyond the SDR range.

This was a show-stopping moment. It was indeed Fusion Frenzy - an original Xbox title - running with its usual 16x resolution multiplier via back-compat, but this time presented with highly convincing, perceptibly real HDR. The key point is that this is proposed as a system-level feature for Xbox Series X, which should apply to all compatible games that don't have their own bespoke HDR modes - and as Marais demonstrated, it extends across the entire Xbox library.

1 hour ago, Bojangle said:

Associated article too, some interesting bits about the BC stuff they're doing. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-inside-xbox-series-x-full-specs

And this leads us on to our first mic-drop moment: the Series X processor is actually capable of running four Xbox One S game sessions simultaneously on the same chip

I wonder if that'll be allowed for home use seeing as they already said you'll be able to stream games from your home Xbox Series X.  Being able to stream multiple streams to othewr xboxes in the house without hitting internet bandwidth would be pretty nice.

We'll be covering more on this soon, but there was one startling takeaway - we were shown benchmark results that, on this two-week-old, unoptimised port, already deliver very, very similar performance to an RTX 2080.

It was an impressive showing for a game that hasn't even begun to access the next generation features of the new GPU

Boing!

"So we added special hardware support for this specific scenario. The result is that Series X offers 49 TOPS for 8-bit integer operations and 97 TOPS for 4-bit integer operations. Note that the weights are integers, so those are TOPS and not TFLOPs. The net result is that Series X offers unparalleled intelligence for machine learning."

Uuuuunnnnnnngggg

"Without hardware acceleration, this work could have been done in the shaders, but would have consumed over 13 TFLOPs alone," says Andrew Goossen. "For the Series X, this work is offloaded onto dedicated hardware and the shader can continue to run in parallel with full performance. In other words, Series X can effectively tap the equivalent of well over 25 TFLOPs of performance while ray tracing."

25 TFLOPs of performance while ray tracing.   Maybe this is MS's burst processing moment.  ;)

One of the key takeaways for me about the Series X silicon isn't just the power, but also the efficiency in design. With all of the new graphics features and the 12 teraflops of consistent compute performance, we envisaged a monstrously large, prohibitively expensive processor design - in short, a very expensive console. However, the size of the SoC at 360mm2 means we have a slice of silicon that is, in reality, much smaller than any speculative measurement we could come up with from prior teaser reveals

Interesting.   I know that other bits of the console add to the price also but does this mean there's a chance it won't be £600 ish?  

15 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

I wonder if that'll be allowed for home use seeing as they already said you'll be able to stream games from your home Xbox Series X. 

Not sure about the streaming part, but being able to suspend and resume multiple titles has been confirmed to be a thing (I think, for both next gen consoles).

52 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

The tech in the Series X looks absolutely incredible.

I don't think Sony will match this in terms of expandable storage etc.

*quickly erases PS5 notes from pad*

The idea, in basic terms at least, is pretty straightforward - the game package that sits on storage essentially becomes extended memory, allowing 100GB of game assets stored on the SSD to be instantly accessible by the developer. It's a system that Microsoft calls the Velocity Architecture and the SSD itself is just one part of the system.

"Our second component is a high-speed hardware decompression block that can deliver over 6GB/s," reveals Andrew Goossen. "This is a dedicated silicon block that offloads decompression work from the CPU and is matched to the SSD so that decompression is never a bottleneck. The decompression hardware supports Zlib for general data and a new compression [system] called BCPack that is tailored to the GPU textures that typically comprise the vast majority of a game's package size."

So more interesting stuff.   The SSD is an extension of system memory and stuff can be compressed/decompressed on the fly without performance hit to the CPU.

A technique called Sampler Feedback Streaming - SFS - was built to more closely marry the memory demands of the GPU, intelligently loading in the texture mip data that's actually required with the guarantee of a lower quality mip available if the higher quality version isn't readily available, stopping GPU stalls and frame-time spikes. Bespoke hardware within the GPU is available to smooth the transition between mips, on the off-chance that the higher quality texture arrives a frame or two later. Microsoft considers these aspects of the Velocity Architecture to be a genuine game-changer, adding a multiplier to how physical memory is utilised.

I love reveals like this where they go into the real nitty gritty.  

Looks like MS really went to town on the hardware.

The Quick Resume could be a big deal, particularly if it allows players to queue in competitive modes across multiple games and have the game quickly boot to the correct lobby once a match is found.

The loading time demo still seemed pretty long (and still had texture pop-in) but maybe they used a game which has absurd loading times for that reason? A massive improvement all the same.

I really love the look of the controller too.

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

25 TFLOPs of performance while ray tracing.   Maybe this is MS's burst processing moment.  ;)

BLAST processing:quote:     :P

Some good stuff in the DF vid, tbf, DF had  great early vid on the X too. Nice to see MS being so open about the system !

Specs seem similar to what was predicted, well apart from the RT stuff, that will be interesting to see. TBH, devs having more access to RT will improve RT performance over time as the software will get better!

And good to here they will be doing the thing with USB drives, and simply letting you store stuff on them! Those expendable NVME drives ain't gona be cheap though!

So £500 plus then yeah? lol...and worth it too!

All the backwards compatibility stuff they are doing is very clever and cool but I'm guessing I won't be able to just put in any 360 disc and play it? In its original state if need be? I'm guessing they would have mentioned it.

I'm getting scared at what price this beast is going to be :lol:

4 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Uuuuunnnnnnngggg

Those machine learning numbers are much lower than what we see on Nvidia's current RTX cards (430 Int4 TOPS on a 2080ti for example). Not that we have seen much use it yet beyond some dodgy DLSS implementations.

22 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

Those machine learning numbers are much lower than what we see on Nvidia's current RTX cards (430 Int4 TOPS on a 2080ti for example). Not that we have seen much use it yet beyond some dodgy DLSS implementations.

No-one's going to use it on PC anytime soon - too many cards not supporting it. The SSD tech optimised for gaming is another thing that's not happening anytime soon either...

27 minutes ago, chamberlago said:

All the backwards compatibility stuff they are doing is very clever and cool but I'm guessing I won't be able to just put in any 360 disc and play it? In its original state if need be? I'm guessing they would have mentioned it.

I'm getting scared at what price this beast is going to be :lol:

It will work the same way it does now - insert disc so the Xbox can download the digital version and away you go.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S
  • Talvalin locked this topic
  • Talvalin unlocked this topic