IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

5 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

That is starting to sound like audiophile territory! 🤣 I think I might need to also check that my hdmi cables are in the correct direction too so those bits flow properly!

You can't be too careful!

I think my problem was caused by everything coming on at the same time from full power off in a power cut, so everything was trying to handshake with everything else at once, and everything got confused. The general principle is you turn the telly on with nothing plugged in, then introduce components one at a time so that they work properly together before the next thing in the chain gets added.

Quick update after just over a week.  Have not properly counted how many times I've switched on my Series X but must be at least twice a day so lets say 20 times.  Its started in 640x480 twice so about 10% of the time.  Before reseating the cable and power cycling the TV it was happening more like 40% so deffo a lot better but not totally fixed.  I did have a power cut during the week too but that does not appear to have caused any issues.  Think I will now get a fancy 8K certified hdmi 2.1 cable from amazon next time I'm ordering and see if that makes any difference.

7 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

Quick update after just over a week.  Have not properly counted how many times I've switched on my Series X but must be at least twice a day so lets say 20 times.  Its started in 640x480 twice so about 10% of the time.  Before reseating the cable and power cycling the TV it was happening more like 40% so deffo a lot better but not totally fixed.  I did have a power cut during the week too but that does not appear to have caused any issues.  Think I will now get a fancy 8K certified hdmi 2.1 cable from amazon next time I'm ordering and see if that makes any difference.

It won’t. If it works in 4K when it works then the cable is fine. It’s handshake issue with the xbox. 

12 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Isn't this a game-changer for Series X performance?  Or is it no where near as impressive as DLSS?  I'd read that 2.0 was a significant step up over the meagre first implementation.

In short, will this mean 4K60 with ray tracing as standard in Series X games? (He asked, naively)

3 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

It won’t. If it works in 4K when it works then the cable is fine. It’s handshake issue with the xbox. 

My experience is that a new cable can sort out handshake issues. 

2 hours ago, Hitcher said:

I’m not sure I comprehended all of the metrics Alex used in the DF video, but it does sound like FSR isn’t as good as DLSS, so maybe not worth losing one’s mind over just yet, albeit there are some big improvements. 

The way the performance differed depending on GPU tested means… we need to wait and see how this will work on Series X.

11 minutes ago, Popo said:

I’m not sure I comprehended all of the metrics Alex used in the DF video, but it does sound like FSR isn’t as good as DLSS, so maybe not worth losing one’s mind over just yet, albeit there are some big improvements. 

The way the performance differed depending on GPU tested means… we need to wait and see how this will work on Series X.

I mean given that DLSS isn't ever going to be available on these consoles (i.e. non Nvidia) then it's comparison to DLSS doesn't really matter does it (at least in the context of this thread)?

But as you say, how well it will actually work out on the consoles will be interesting to see.

9 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

I mean given that DLSS isn't ever going to be available on these consoles (i.e. non Nvidia) then it's comparison to DLSS doesn't really matter does it (at least in the context of this thread)?

Only insofar as it’s a similar technology, more mature, and therefor might indicate what games boosted by FSR might look like. 

7 hours ago, Popo said:

In short, will this mean 4K60 with ray tracing as standard in Series X games? (He asked, naively)

in short, no. as the actual RT hardware on the AMD gpu is considerably worse than nvidias. And that is where the problem is.

one would however hope that this can mean games running more at 60 though!

of course...they could also use it the "wrong" way, like we see with VRS being used waaaaay to aggressively.

FSR2 at is highest setting looks ok, but, worse than native. but not by much, and , you can get a performance gain!

The issue, is as you go down the settings from ultra quality down...it gets worse...fast! until its a blurry mess in performance mode

7 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

My experience is that a new cable can sort out handshake issues. 

Yeah that’s fair. What i really take umbrage with (probably irrationally, now i think about it) is the notion that a cable is ‘rated’ for something. It’s either a shit cable that doesn’t work or it is fine. 

Yeah, I think that’s mostly true. I currently have a dodgy cable - causes issues with both my Xbox and PS5. On PS5, the image cuts out now and then, and on Xbox, I sometimes get that same 480p picture issue, which is very odd. 

The only thing that makes me think anything like “rating” is involved is that the issues are more common when the consoles are set to 120Hz. So there does seem to be some element of bandwidth involved. But the cable is faulty, rather than inherently being the wrong rating (like 2.0 instead of 2.1). 

15 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Yeah that’s fair. What i really take umbrage with (probably irrationally, now i think about it) is the notion that a cable is ‘rated’ for something. It’s either a shit cable that doesn’t work or it is fine. 

Its a bit more complicated that that now as a cable can be tested and meet spec but give it poor shielding and then when its grouped with a load more issues can arise - there are still plenty of snake oil cables with all the ridiculous claims and also fake cables :o its becoming more of a minefield than a digital cable should be.

Just now, Shimmyhill said:

Its a bit more complicated that that now as a cable can be tested and meet spec but give it poor shielding and then when its grouped with a load more issues can arise - there are still plenty of snake oil cables with all the ridiculous claims and also fake cables :o its becoming more of a minefield than a digital cable should be.

Yeah but my point is that almost everything is 4K so If i was making cables I’d surely want them to work with that else I’d be expecting returns. 

Anyone still using the XsX for UHD discs? I got a new sound bar so went back and tried a few discs. They play for a while but then the screen goes black - but you can still see the menus. Had a look online and there's a few threads where people are saying its an LG + XsX issue. I never had this with my B7 but people are saying it happens with CX and C1 (which I now have). Tried changing cables but still getting it. Anyone with this combo also having this problem?  Same disc and cable with PS5 is fine, but no Atmos.

2 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

Yeah but my point is that almost everything is 4K so If i was making cables I’d surely want them to work with that else I’d be expecting returns. 

Its more the data throughput it needs - Series x can hit a higher throughput than a PS5  and all the 2.1 specs have a theoretical limit than in reality nothing is going to touch so if its a bit flakey at the top end 99% of people arent going to know and its only the officially certified (and therefore paying a licence fee) that are subjected to the full set of tests before they pass…

I think its Rtings who did a test on loads of cables and found loads of 2.1 cables didnt stand a chance at meeting the full bandwidth possible under the spec but you would only know that if you were testing for it as in reality you wouldn’t ever hit the cable limit.

FWIW I dont have any fancy cables across either of my setups but buy decent tested cables that dont cost a huge amount more than the average non amazon basic jobbie!

54 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Its more the data throughput it needs - Series x can hit a higher throughput than a PS5  and all the 2.1 specs have a theoretical limit than in reality nothing is going to touch so if its a bit flakey at the top end 99% of people arent going to know and its only the officially certified (and therefore paying a licence fee) that are subjected to the full set of tests before they pass…

I think its Rtings who did a test on loads of cables and found loads of 2.1 cables didnt stand a chance at meeting the full bandwidth possible under the spec but you would only know that if you were testing for it as in reality you wouldn’t ever hit the cable limit.

FWIW I dont have any fancy cables across either of my setups but buy decent tested cables that dont cost a huge amount more than the average non amazon basic jobbie!

Pah, Amazon Basics ?? My Series X is hooked up to a 32" screen with one from Poundand 😛

Any sites rate these cables? My Switch does this weird thing where it doesn't so much flicker as dim slightly, for a split second, every now and again. Never occurred to me to check cables.

The XSX uses the one that came with but lord knows what old tat I'm using elsewhere. Probably old Amazon Basics.

20 hours ago, sandman said:

Anyone using Bang and Olufsen Beoplay Portal headphones with their Series?

If so, how's the sound quality?

Yeah I am. I absolutely love them, but compared to "gaming" headsets, they might be described as being a little flat and not having as much punch. But I prefer that over headsets that seem to force a lot of bass on you. For me, one of the best examples was playing Tales of Arise. With the Microsoft headset when in battles you couldn't properly hear what the characters were saying. Now, the actual stuff they are saying at that point is rather meaningless, but when you stick on the Portals and realise you can hear a wider range of sounds, including the speech, it just sounds so much cleaner to me. 

I much prefer a flatter sound and then tweaking it myself to get it how I want it. They do have several equaliser settings which you can adjust on the fly as well via the pretty nice app.

The biggest thing though, is that they are so light. I also bought the Audeze Penrose headset and while they do sound awesome, they feel heavy and tight on your head. I can wear the Portals for hours and forget they are there. Only slight downside is that battery life isn't fantastic. They last maybe 10 hours while gaming, which seems to be down to whatever protocol Microsoft uses, as the same headphones for PS5, with the same battery in them, last for twice as long.

I think Bang and Olufsen offer a no quibble refund service as well, so you can easily send them back if they are not to your liking. I like them so much that I actually bought the PS5 version for my, well, PS5 :) 

13 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Yeah I am. I absolutely love them, but compared to "gaming" headsets, they might be described as being a little flat and not having as much punch. But I prefer that over headsets that seem to force a lot of bass on you. For me, one of the best examples was playing Tales of Arise. With the Microsoft headset when in battles you couldn't properly hear what the characters were saying. Now, the actual stuff they are saying at that point is rather meaningless, but when you stick on the Portals and realise you can hear a wider range of sounds, including the speech, it just sounds so much cleaner to me. 

I much prefer a flatter sound and then tweaking it myself to get it how I want it. They do have several equaliser settings which you can adjust on the fly as well via the pretty nice app.

The biggest thing though, is that they are so light. I also bought the Audeze Penrose headset and while they do sound awesome, they feel heavy and tight on your head. I can wear the Portals for hours and forget they are there. Only slight downside is that battery life isn't fantastic. They last maybe 10 hours while gaming, which seems to be down to whatever protocol Microsoft uses, as the same headphones for PS5, with the same battery in them, last for twice as long.

I think Bang and Olufsen offer a no quibble refund service as well, so you can easily send them back if they are not to your liking. I like them so much that I actually bought the PS5 version for my, well, PS5 :) 

Cheers. Thanks for the info.

16 hours ago, TehStu said:

Any sites rate these cables? My Switch does this weird thing where it doesn't so much flicker as dim slightly, for a split second, every now and again. Never occurred to me to check cables.

That sounds more like your tv’s burn in protection kicking in. Does it happen when your Switch is on an almost completely static image?

17 hours ago, TehStu said:

The XSX uses the one that came with but lord knows what old tat I'm using elsewhere. Probably old Amazon Basics.

Just buy a certified cable if you’re bothered. The one I got for under a tenner is certified and comes with a QR code you can scan. 

If you buy from a decent maker and seller (like Kenable, above), though, there’s no real point in buying certified. Only reason I did is because I wanted a braided one.

All certified cables of any length must pass certification testing at an HDMI Forum Authorized Testing Center (Forum ATC). Once certified cables will be required to affix an Ultra High Speed HDMI Certification Label to each package or unit of sale enabling consumers to verify the certification status of the product. 

4 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

That sounds more like your tv’s burn in protection kicking in. Does it happen when your Switch is on an almost completely static image?

Or when over 40% of the image is flat white?

9 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

Hadn't thought of that, but I've not seen it do it on the Xbox or PS4. It's just the Switch, while you're actively playing (like, running around the island in ACNH).