IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

12 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

How does the PS5 know which game you are wanting to download? Where are you seeing the game in order to press a button at the side of it? I don't think I'm understanding what you mean. On mine, you browse/search for a game then download it, it's not a complicated process, my kids do it.

If a game is in your library (outright owns it), I think the equivalent is:

Dash - My games and apps -  my library, or whatever it's called. I'm on my phone so can't check. Click from the long list, install.

Stuff you don't own? Store, surely, just like all other consoles.

Game Pass specifically? Obviously the curated app, or I'm pretty sure any store link also gives you the option to install if it's on GP (or stream if you have GPU).

That's everything, I think?

12 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Also, just to counter @CrichStand absolutely bonkers issues he seems to be having, setting up my Series X couldn't have been easier. Did it all through my phone, had everything set up and Red Dead Redemption 2, which I'd been playing on my One X the day before, downloaded and my save available in less than 2 hours (it's a big game to download!).

Yeah the S setup was very smooth, though I did laugh at having to update the controller as well as the console. Great to have quick resume and all the games I apparently bought back in the day - I own Perfect Dark Zero? Definitely forgot I bought that - just appear. 

If I was picking holes in the UI, it is weird that even with my ~200mb internet if I go into the Gamepass app it'll load up the top few icons, then take a good few seconds to let me access any of the other sections further down.

@TehStu Oh so something he already owns, I thought he was just on about game pass games!

In that case yeah it's my games & apps / full library / all owned games. Find the one you want and press the button with 3 lines on it, manage game and add ons and download it from there if you don't want to search for it in the store.

6FCAABC4-374D-409C-9FC4-3B43604B9DCA.thumb.jpeg.e26806fc933ee5b174c545a553533067.jpeg

Is there supposed to be some kind of tutorial that guides you through stuff and how to use the machine? PS5 guides you through everything with little tutorials, even after updates when new features arrive. There’s been nothing on this. It just updated, dropped onto the dash and.....Bob’s ya Uncle.......I’ve been expected to know how to use everything even though there are about a million tiles and icons and menus and options all on screen at once. It’s a bit busy like!

I’ve just spent about 5-10mins trying to figure out how to turn it off. Hahaha. There is no obvious icon or option anywhere for power. Then I remembered 360.....tap the home button! No, that’s not it. Ah....hold it down! Boom! I can now switch it off. But how do I put it into “rest mode” so my downloads continue. This is absolutely fucking ludicrous. Surely, something’s not right here. Maybe ‘cause I’ve set things up under my old Gamertag from 2015 and it’s assumed I’m an Xbox power user. Lol.

Really like all the green though. Green is good!

19 minutes ago, CrichStand said:

I’ve just spent about 5-10mins trying to figure out how to turn it off. Hahaha. There is no obvious icon or option anywhere for power. Then I remembered 360.....tap the home button! No, that’s not it. Ah....hold it down! Boom! I can now switch it off. But how do I put it into “rest mode” so my downloads continue. This is absolutely fucking ludicrous. Surely, something’s not right here

It asked you if you wanted the power save (rest) mode when you went through set up. It was either that or a full power down as the 2 options. When you picked one, that’s what the machine will do.

Turning it off is the same as the PS4 (I don’t know about the PS5’ sorry), hold the guide/ps button, the difference being that it just says off on the xbox as the option you picked earlier will happen. If you want to change it, change the power options in settings. If you want to fully turn it off as a one off or if you’re having issues, hold the power button for about 10 secs and it will turn off (not be in rest mode). There’s a full shutdown option in settings too as well.

What part of the UI (besides turning it off) are you struggling with? Everything seems to be titled and is self explanatory I thought.

If you figured out the switch, you can do the Xbox. I think the switch was pretty new too, and I don't recall a tutorial. The concepts are very similar, broadly, across any console.

For example, long press the equivalent home button on all 3 consoles accesses power options.

6 hours ago, CrichStand said:

Is there supposed to be some kind of tutorial that guides you through stuff and how to use the machine? PS5 guides you through everything with little tutorials, even after updates when new features arrive. There’s been nothing on this. It just updated, dropped onto the dash and.....Bob’s ya Uncle.......I’ve been expected to know how to use everything even though there are about a million tiles and icons and menus and options all on screen at once. It’s a bit busy like!

I’ve just spent about 5-10mins trying to figure out how to turn it off. Hahaha. There is no obvious icon or option anywhere for power. Then I remembered 360.....tap the home button! No, that’s not it. Ah....hold it down! Boom! I can now switch it off. But how do I put it into “rest mode” so my downloads continue. This is absolutely fucking ludicrous. Surely, something’s not right here. Maybe ‘cause I’ve set things up under my old Gamertag from 2015 and it’s assumed I’m an Xbox power user. Lol.

Really like all the green though. Green is good!

You suggested earlier just packing it up and sending it back to Amazon. I think you should do this now.

8 hours ago, TehStu said:

If you figured out the switch, you can do the Xbox. I think the switch was pretty new too, and I don't recall a tutorial. The concepts are very similar, broadly, across any console.

For example, long press the equivalent home button on all 3 consoles accesses power options.

To be fair if you've never used the Xbox One UI before its quite messy IMHO and the Switch blissfully simple in comparison. I remember coming over to the Xbox One from the 360 and wondering what was going on - just a mess of tiles etc. Its better now but IMHO still confusing to newcomers. And the point made is that PlayStation does have a tutorial and introduce the way things work to you (noticed the other night when setting a new US account up and using it for the first time). Xbox could do with something similar IMHO. Sure you can figure things out agree but not everyone likes pressing buttons here/there to see how things work. 

Anyway sure @CrichStand probably has more questions. Might be better trying to help out where necessary rather than just telling him to send it back to Amazon! :D 

Yeah I'll admit I found the Xbox UI insanely busy after skipping the Xbox One. My experience of day one was also very similar to @CrichStand's, I set it up pressed through the various options then waited for it to download a huge update, then had to download some games. By the time I could actually play anything it was time for bed.

it does improve though, and you can ignore most of the tiles if you only want to play games.

I actually agree with Crich Stand.  Going from ps4 to xbox series s I think the ps4 implementation with a choice of rest or full shutdown is better than the xbox implementation where the only choice was to select at the start.

I found the setup to be insanely easy - did everything via the mobile app and it was the smoothest experience I've had with a new console. There is also a 'Help' app if needed.

The UI does lack an instant 'wow' factor, but once you know your way around it's incredibly flexible. I think the volume of stuff you can do is a bit much to beging with maybe, but it comes into it's own once you get comfy.

Just now, tenrou said:

I actually agree with Crich Stand.  Going from ps4 to xbox series s I think the ps4 implementation with a choice of rest or full shutdown is better than the xbox implementation where the only choice was to select at the start.

Eh? You can change that option at any time though?

1 minute ago, tenrou said:

You can still pick full shutdown from the power section if you picked instant on during setup.

It's likely a familiarity thing though with the majority of these issues.

1 minute ago, rgraves said:

Eh? You can change that option at any time though?

I think the point that was made is that on PS5 you tap the power button and you are given a choice at that point to do a full shutdown or go into rest mode. With the Xbox UI you have to dig around in the settings menu to select it.

Each UI has a very different way of doing things and I get the confusion when flicking between them both! :) Which is the main problem here you get comfortable with the one you use the most. Personally find it much easier going from the Xbox UI to PS one.. :D PS is quite minimal and less cluttered more like the interface you'd get with consumer electronics devices... in comparison Xbox feels like a Windows 10 interface on a console.  Which demonstrates the different backgrounds of both companies I guess.

Anyhow  they all have their pros and cons. I guess its the fact that consoles do so many things now other than just play games that makes the UIs so complex in the first place!

The UI is great once you get rid of the things you will never use and then create your own folders for all your games, it’s still not really flashy or next gen looking, but once you have done some customisation, I think it’s my fav UI I have ever used.

If you want 'less cluttered' just set it up that way - turn off tiles you don't want etc

I'm with @Kryptonian - I think a lot of these 'issues' are just people not knowing (or even looking) what they can do.

I'm now just waiting for the Crich post on batteries.......🤫

6 minutes ago, rgraves said:

If you want 'less cluttered' just set it up that way - turn off tiles you don't want etc

Think this is where it goes wrong IMHO. Start off less cluttered and minimal and add/configure what you need on there - rather than the other way around. :) 

All down to familiarity and personal preference I guess. I prefer PS UI because it doesn't remind me of work :D I sit at a Windows 10 box all day and I quite like the soothing music and big cover art for the games.

5 minutes ago, rgraves said:

I'm with @Kryptonian - I think a lot of these 'issues' are just people not knowing (or even looking) what they can do.

It's not a great defence though is it? The UI is fine if you spend time and effort tailoring it exactly to your preference. I mean it's a tiny issue, and not significant enough for me to even bother hiding tiles and so on, but I think it's fair enough that people don't like it. 

What people aren't mentioning is that the bloody PS5 does exactly the reverse of what the PS4 used to do in many cases. Want to shut it down? Tap that PS button. Don't hold it like you used to, that doesn't work now.

I mean, it's not horrifically complicated, but there's just enough annoyances with what they changed between the PS4 and PS5 UI seemingly for the sake of changing it.

On the flip side, I do think the Xbox UI's a bit sterile by comparison. However, it took me about five minutes to have everything grouped how I like it so I'm happy with that. I do think PS is a little easier in some regards though, like inviting friends to a game or party (just because you have to 'confirm' the invite after selecting them), and the capture and streaming integration on PS5's definitely better at this point.

Pluses and minuses. However, if it wasn't for VF5 US I'm not sure when I'd have last had my PS5 on, game pass alone means the X is absurd value, the exceptional commitment to backwards compatibility warms my heart and I've got a hundred quid of microsoft rewards racked up from minimal investment. It's a hell of a comeback after the debacle of the One.

I wonder if for the 360s 20th anniversary they will bring back some sort of blades theme... I mean they won't... But a man can dream. 

Also the 20th anniversary is in 3 years.

You read that correctly.

Xbox 360 turns 20 in 3 years... Crikey.

44 minutes ago, rgraves said:

The batteries in my xsx controller didn’t last three days, which reminds me I need to order a charger pack for it! Thankfully I had my xbo controllers charged and ready to go!

42 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Think this is where it goes wrong IMHO. Start off less cluttered and minimal and add/configure what you need on there - rather than the other way around. :) 

See I disagree with this. Start with things you can remove. It's much easier to remove things you don't want, than to add things you don't know exist!

6 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

See I disagree with this. Start with things you can remove. It's much easier to remove things you don't want, than to add things you don't know exist!

:) And there is the crux of it all everyone is different! I like the basic functionality there - my games collection and a click to start a title and nothing else. The guide button brings up stuff that is common to all the games or system functions (power/comms etc). If I want anything that I use frequently I like to add stuff in. But then I'm lazy can't really be bothered messing around removing / configuring things I don't need. Rather add them when I want them. Less is more for me.