IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

44 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Has anybody used the Design Lab for a controller?

I'm looking at it and want the whole body of the controller to be one colour but no matter how I configure there are two small pieces on the back that have too be black. 

It seems a bit weird.

There seems to be a glitch where if you select rubberised grips they show as black but if you disable and enable rubber grips again they then seem to add as the same colour that you choose. 

edit: there is actually a dedicated thread somewhere here for the Design Lab :) 

3 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Ooh, now I'm really excited for my Series X to arrive.

Mariusz is due between 12.09 - 13.09 today so I'm going to sort the "Christmas housework" this morning and enjoy my afternoon!

And Mariusz turns up at 12.10.

Legend!!

Grandma has just picked up the kids for the afternoon and the wife is WFH so I've got the big TV to myself. 

Set-up start!!

This is probably a stupid question…. But is there anyway to play Xbox one games on the series s?  Can I somehow transfer my licences, buy an external disc drive something like that?

I own the MC collection and will be paying for gamepass to play it, unnecessarily…

8 minutes ago, Droo said:

This is probably a stupid question…. But is there anyway to play Xbox one games on the series s?  Can I somehow transfer my licences, buy an external disc drive something like that?

I own the MC collection and will be paying for gamepass to play it, unnecessarily…

Sign into your series S or X with the same account. All your games and your saves and your dashboard and settings are just there. Magically. Either download everything again or transfer games using an external disc drive

30 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Sign into your series S or X with the same account. All your games and your saves and your dashboard and settings are just there. Magically. Either download everything again or transfer games using an external disc drive

You can also transfer games if the two consoles are connected to the same network. 

If it works :( Silly router.

8 hours ago, Sane said:

Can you mix game installs and media files on an external drive?

I don't think so, it asks which way you want to format it when you first plug it in. But, you can have multiple external storage, so one for games and one for media, etc.

3 hours ago, Droo said:

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

2 hours ago, Graham S said:

You can also transfer games if the two consoles are connected to the same network. 

I assumed Droo is talking specifically about disc games, which cannot be played on the Series S without buying them again. No external drive support.

I’ve been playing Forza 5. What a strange game. Unskippable cut scenes throughout more of a “car story” than a racing game. Steering seems all-or-nothing, despite an analogue controller, so I spend most of my time pedulum-ing like a newb.  In one “race” I came 4th (of 4), yet I seemed to win. Is this pandering to the idea that nobody loses? It’s very pretty, I like how the music pauses when you do a big jump, but I’ve yet to find a game amongst all this…do I need to just stick with it, or is this what racing games are like these days?

5 minutes ago, Oaf said:

I’ve been playing Forza 5. What a strange game. Unskippable cut scenes throughout more of a “car story” than a racing game. Steering seems all-or-nothing, despite an analogue controller, so I spend most of my time pedulum-ing like a newb.  In one “race” I came 4th (of 4), yet I seemed to win. Is this pandering to the idea that nobody loses? It’s very pretty, I like how the music pauses when you do a big jump, but I’ve yet to find a game amongst all this…do I need to just stick with it, or is this what racing games are like these days?

I think you need to dive into the difficulty settings and before anything else make sure steering assist is turned off. You definitely should have great control over the steering. Unskippable cutscenes are a pain in the arse though I agree. 

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

I assumed Droo is talking specifically about disc games, which cannot be played on the Series S without buying them again. No external drive support.

Jeez, I'm sorry. I genuinely forget that discs are still a thing having gone full digital. Apologies @Droo! For my stupid answer. If you want to keep playing your disc collection, buy an Series X - that's your only option in that case. There are also a handful of BC games that only work from disc fwiw - I bought a handful of discs for the first time in years for that very reason.

1 hour ago, Oaf said:

is this what racing games are like these days?

Quite a few of them, yep. I love racing games, but I don't understand Forza Horizon - it seems more of a 'car rpg' than a racing game.

Even Forza 7 was too waffly for me.

2 hours ago, Oaf said:

Yeah unfortunately there’s a lot of Forza Horizon you have to hold your nose and get through to get to some good racing. It does calm down a bit with all the embarrassing talking but I recommend muting the fuck out of it and getting your Spotify on. It’s also really buggy but hopefully some new year patches sort it out. 

Forza 5 is the perfect example of how gaming has evolved into something so massive I can't get along with it.  So many cut scenes. Podcasts. Music that doesn't match what you're doing. Missions everywhere, many of which are user created. Hundreds of cars you probably won't look at. Terrible zig-zaggy handling. No car damage so head straight to the checkpoint across the grass if you need to.  Forza is all content, content, content and it's no fun. It was released in the same week that Ridge Racer 6 was added to backward compatibility and I've spent hours on that. 

As a developer if you create a game with one track and one car you can tinker and tweak and create something you need to master.  Ridge Racer and the Devil Car unlock understood this.  You create a course, then make a vehicle that you need to ABSOLUTELY learn and practice in order to win.  Forza is a million courses, a million vehicles, a story, house buying, avatar creating, name choosing "hey dragon!", it's all just too big to make any specific mission memorable or calculated. If you lose, it just offers to knock the difficulty down a notch.  Or put on some assists. Or just get a car that goes faster.  The teams that focus on the gameplay balance just can't do their job when there's a million permutations of cars, tracks etc.  There's too much content and whilst that appears great value for money and all the graphics are incredible, it remains content, content, more content, and it's too much. It would surely be impossible for every vehicle combination to be playtested properly.

Forza 5 is an incredible achievement and the fact a game of that scale exists is incredible. But it's got no heart. Its just a tonne of content and it feels overwhelming. And yet I'm going to buy the 1up Arcade Ridge Racer machine, 30 years on from the first time I played.  One car. One track. Will anyone even remember Forza 5 in 30 years? 

2 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Forza 5 is an incredible achievement and the fact a game of that scale exists is incredible. But it's got no heart. Its just a tonne of content and Ridge Racer 6 is a considerably more enjoyable game. 

I find the whole 'human story' side of the thing excruciating. It's so, so bad it utterly destroyed my enjoyment of the game. I find the racing aspect brilliant, and it looks and feels wonderful when you're doing that. 

It's just everything else about the game feels like it was made by a set of people in a room who have never actually talked to anyone in their lives before, and it's terribly awkward.

Forza Racing 7 is a much more enjoyable experience for me, simply because there's a distinct lack of all the shite. I'm not sure the racing is quite as fun, but it's near enough for me to get much more pleasure out of the thing.  

Horizon 1 was the best "Story", everything was fresh and exciting, the music was on point and there wasn't too much bloat.

They've improved the graphics ad engine, but it's just empty feeling, there is no joy in unlocking something when there is so muc content there, urgghh

Echoing @Graham S sometimes I have to go back to my One X for reasons and it's always startling how chuggy it is. Menus are stuttery in some games and the loading times are obviously much longer. I wouldn't say it's toys out of the pram kind of thing but as I've had my series X more than a year it's now alarmingly apparent how bad the One was for bottlenecks.

Can confirm, still routinely use both the XSX and XB1. Stuff still looks good, but hells bells spinning rust drives are just terrible for this age of machine and modern games. Ironically, with relatively small games, the 360 utterly hums among. It feels faster than the XB1. Last gen was just really unfortunate for the sorts of games the hardware was capable of. Bottleneck city, as mentioned.

7 hours ago, Sane said:

I agree with pretty much all your points, but the one thing Forza got absolutely right for me is the handling. What settings are you using? 

To be fair I was so pissed when I wrote that, the zig zaggy handling is probably down to me. Apologies again for coming onto the forum and comparing everything to Ridge Racer. It's like an illness.

Having said that, it is something about racing games in general that I have struggled with.  Forza 5 and NFS Hot Pursuit are two good examples of games where the controller doesn't react instantly.  I think it's the accuracy of the car physics, it's not lag or unresponsive.  But if you play Burnout 2 (again sorry, I know), drive into the oncoming traffic and then weave your car between vehicles. You can use your arcade skills to react and weave and turn and dodge because your car reacts instantly to your change of direction. I really struggled with NFS at first because as you turn you see the car suspension dip as the car starts to turn then it actually turns. Then you oversteer and by turning opposite to compensate you end up zig zagging.  If youre playing and suddenly notice a car heading straight for you your reaction times and arcade skills are not going to get you out of it.  

I guess that's the difference between what I'd call true arcade racers (BO2 and RR) and semi arcade like Forza.  But I found Driveclub very responsive, and I'm not really sure why I find the handling in Forza to be so hard to master. It took me weeks of play to earn that devil car in RR, using one car around that one track to do it. By the end I knew every pixel of that route, nailed every turn and understood every subtle bit the vehicle handling.  One car and one track wouldn't be allowed today, but in Forza you have so much content that you don't stick to anything.  As soon as you pass a mission there's no reason to go back to it again because you've got a lifetimes supply of stuff still to do. And I'm playing the basic free Gamepass version. Who on earth would want to buy a season pass or deluxe edition. How much content do we actually want? 

It’s the well integrated cloud gaming I’m loving as well. Playing The Forgotten City via cloud and it’s flawless. Most slow games are. Don’t have to give them any hard drive space. They work just the same as any other game. They’ve built a very nice well integrated ecosystem on Xbox.  Sync anywhere is great. 

15 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

I didn't realise that GamePass games available on console and PC shared saves.

Picked up my Unpacking progress yesterday which was cool.

Some do and some don't. It has to be tagged "Play Anywhere" but I'm not sure where you see what is and I hat isn't.