IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

1 hour ago, MrHendo said:

What’s the best game to show off what the X can do?

I’ve had the base Xbox One for years, played some Horizon 5 on the old machine and I’m guessing that would be the best option?

Red Dead 2 even at 30 is still the most stunning game I've played in terms of graphical details. 

Flight sim has some incredible lighting and lightning.

Horizon 5 is pretty special.

Sea of Thieves is stunning at 4K/60.

The matrix demo is the most next gen expeeience for showing off.

We're still mostly in the phase of upgraded performance of old games though. Try out some really old ones that have one x and fps boost. Ninja Gaiden for example is incredible.

2 hours ago, MrHendo said:

I’ve had the base Xbox One for years, played some Horizon 5 on the old machine and I’m guessing that would be the best option?

Fortnite looks pretty incredible on the new consoles.

5 hours ago, teddymeow said:

No Series X for me. 🙄

Email from Amazon telling me the order has been cancelled.

Jumped on live chat and they told me that it must have been an accidental click while I was looking at my account or something.

Odd because, at the time it was allegedly cancelled by me, I was watching Captain America: Civil War with the boy. 🤔

Amazon were awful for me. Delays, deliveries that didn't happen, then finally a package that turns up full of toiletries (presumably after someone half inched the console). Put me off ordering big ticket items from them. In the end, Smyths had some in stock and it turned up problem free 48 hours later.

17 hours ago, JoeK said:

Man, next gen's so passe. 

FPS boost on ancient games is where it's at :P

It really does make such a difference with older games. Even Watchdogs 2 with its shitty sub HD resolution is  made 100% better. In fact experiencing 60FPS In a number of games has won me over, Performance mode everytime for me.

21 hours ago, MrHendo said:

For my money it's flight simulator, especially when you go to the areas that have been modelled in detail like London, New York, the Alps etc.

There is something I've found almost moving about the game and you can play it in total spanner mode so it's impossible to fall out the sky, just pootle about taking in the scenery - it's amazing that a console can do this in 4k.

Not strictly X/S series but leads up to it - I've watched the 6 part fairly substantial doc series MS put up on YouTube celebrating the 20th anniversary of Xbox, I thought it was really good.

Most of the main participants interviewed extensively and it seems pretty open and honest about the fails, with lengthy segments on the red ring of death and the flop of XBone.

Not seen much mention of it (or missed it in another thread) but I thoroughly enjoyed it, even with it's lengthy 6 ep runtime - I normally find docs outstay their welcome or material but wasn't the case with this. 

On 20/12/2021 at 18:46, MrHendo said:

Borderlands 3 - on the X it's so fluid, fast moving and colourful. Loading times next to nothing, it opens the game up and feels how it was meant to be played. Amazing experience.

SSX3 - no, really. Just so smooth, clean, again how it was meant to be played. Great excuse to play it again.

Sniper Elite 4 on Gamepass is an amazing experience now it has the Series X upgrade. Absolutely sublime level design and feels incredible.

On 20/12/2021 at 18:46, MrHendo said:

No idea how FH5 compares but when I moved over from 1X to SX, I was playing Doom Eternal and thought it had been patched for next gen.  It hadn't, it just had a dynamic resolution that meant the game on the new hardware was higher res. Doom Eternal has now had a next gen patch. Do you have a 4k HDR TV and like fast paced Fps? If so,  maybe that.  

Failing that: 

Gears 5 (Inc hive busters), titanfall2, sea of thieves,  a plague tale,  Village are nice on Series X. 

I haven’t bought an Xbox game since the 360 days, so I’m only playing stuff that’s either on GamePass or has moved across from the 360.

My TV does 4k, not sure what else as it was relatively cheap.

I’ve moved some of the Series X enhanced stuff to the internal drive. The external isn’t SSD. 
Am I right I thinking that games on the external won’t get the zippy loading times but should be fine for all the other bells and whistles?

4 hours ago, MrHendo said:

I haven’t bought an Xbox game since the 360 days, so I’m only playing stuff that’s either on GamePass or has moved across from the 360.

My TV does 4k, not sure what else as it was relatively cheap.

I’ve moved some of the Series X enhanced stuff to the internal drive. The external isn’t SSD. 
Am I right I thinking that games on the external won’t get the zippy loading times but should be fine for all the other bells and whistles?

If the image of the game has a little 'X/S' logo on it, then I don't think you'll be able to play it on an external. ANything that's had FPS boost or minor patches will work fine I believe.

So, something like Assassin's Creed Odyssey which has had a 60fps patch is all good, whilst Valhalla won't be.

9 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Oh yeah, if it's had the 60fps thing and is still a standard One game you can run it from the external. If it specifically has a S/X upgrade it'll need to run from the internal.

Good way of checking this is by viewing the relevant game file info in My Games and Apps. If the game is listed as Durango and Xbox Gen 9 Aware then it can run from a standard external. If it is listed as Scarlet and Xboxgen9 then it will need to be run on an SSD. It's a pain to check and I wish MS had a better way of highlighting the differences and not just slapping an X/S badge on everything "enhanced" for sales purposes.

General rule of thumb I have noticed online is that all games released since Series Consoles have been out will need to run on Internal or SSD's, it is those pre-next gen games that have had retrospective patches applied that might go either way (Halo MCC, Sea of Thieves, Star Wars Squadrons & Skyrim are examples of "Series Enhanced" games that can run on External drives; Gears 5, Metro Exodus, Avengers & FH4 are examples of games that need SSD to run and are therefore true next gen ports).

re: Grim Dawn

It was developed for Xbox One by a small team; they don't or didn't have a Series devkit. Quite a few complaints online about it being capped at 1080p/30. The readable text is/was kinda small, might be a bit of an issue on Xbox. Seen some comments confirming this. A patch is coming soon to scale the UI and uncap the FPS - not sure that actually means it runs at 60.

The PC version had joypad support since day one. It was 'OK' enough to use (it doesn't have a dodge button like Diablo 3). The skill trees are better than Diablo. The music is pretty good but repetitive. Graphics are kinda mediocre. Performance on PC was also not the best when loads of monsters were on screen (everything was done on a single thread).

I recall the boss fights were pretty unspectacular, except for perhaps the blood god thing but even that had no real mechanics.

I don't think it's worth 45 quid right now but it's a pretty good B tier game even if you don't like Diablo clones. I'd probably try and get it on sale.

14 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

You will get improved loading times on all games because the processor is faster, just not as much if they are on the external.

Yup, non Series games still load absurdly quick off external spinning rust drives. There's almost no point taking up the internal drive with them.

If anyone who’s just got a Series S/X is looking for a nice big HDD to keep all their games on then I can heartily recommend these (which are currently on offer):   
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Desktop-External-Integrated-2-Port/dp/B07173WR4B/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=21416P8ATXS4W&keywords=seagate+xbox+8tb&qid=1640231067&sprefix=seagate+xbox+8%2Caps%2C67&sr=8-3

Nice and quiet (for a mechanical drive) it’s surprising how quickly stuff loads from it and how quickly it’s sends Series S/X specific titles across to the internal drive as and when you want to play them. As a bonus the USB ports seem to have a decent amount of poke to them too, meaning they charge my phone nice and quickly / can power my SNES classic and they still do so when my Series X isn’t switched on :)

7 hours ago, womble9 said:

If anyone who’s just got a Series S/X is looking for a nice big HDD to keep all their games on then I can heartily recommend these (which are currently on offer):   
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Desktop-External-Integrated-2-Port/dp/B07173WR4B/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=21416P8ATXS4W&keywords=seagate+xbox+8tb&qid=1640231067&sprefix=seagate+xbox+8%2Caps%2C67&sr=8-3

Nice and quiet (for a mechanical drive) it’s surprising how quickly stuff loads from it and how quickly it’s sends Series S/X specific titles across to the internal drive as and when you want to play them. As a bonus the USB ports seem to have a decent amount of poke to them too, meaning they charge my phone nice and quickly / can power my SNES classic and they still do so when my Series X isn’t switched on :)

Thanks for that. 8TB for just over £100 is crazy good.