IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

10 minutes ago, sandman said:

Holy shit at Shadow of the Tomb Raider on Series X. Much more impressive than anything else I’ve played on the console. 

I was impressed with how it looked on my One X back when it was on Game Pass. The Jungle really looked luscious. Shame the story was underwhelming.

Aside from my usual gripes about the iffy menu systems on the thing (and this applies to the PS5 too), I think the Series X will rank up there with one of the very best consoles I've ever had. I know it's effectively a big black monolith, but I absolutely love the look of the thing. I also love the way stuff just ends up looking better all the time than it did on previous gen Xboxes. It gives me that especially nerdy, PC-centric feel of something able to push old games just that little bit more and making me love older classics again.

At the moment, MS have got a whole load of love from me. I love my PS5 as well, but more and more I find Sony are doing nothing to dispel the thoughts that they actively hate me and want nothing to do with me aside from taking my money. I understand MS want to do the same thing, but at the very least they're smiling when they do it, and making me feel pretty good. Sony seemingly want to stick things up my hidden regions and think I should thank them for it. 

When I got the X1X the powers that be made a big deal about me backing up my old Xbox to an external drive to make setup faster on the day with fewer big downloads. I wonder if XSX games are so substantially different assets that there’s little point and I should just install from scratch. I hope the family allow me to pre-install stuff before Xmas!

11 hours ago, Graham S said:

When I got the X1X the powers that be made a big deal about me backing up my old Xbox to an external drive to make setup faster on the day with fewer big downloads. I wonder if XSX games are so substantially different assets that there’s little point and I should just install from scratch. I hope the family allow me to pre-install stuff before Xmas!

I downloaded everything afresh when I bought a series X, and to be honest it wasn’t a great idea because it took forever, despite having fairly fast broadband. I think Microsoft’s systems here are pretty good - a load of stuff will get patched, but for the most part that won’t be anywhere near as much of a faff as downloading everything from scratch.

Looking for recommendations for headsets so my son can chat to his friends on FIFA and Fortnite. 

Is the official Xbox one wired headset decent? No frills needed and not interested in paying too much as I suspect it will be broken in a month anyway. ;)

5 hours ago, K said:

I downloaded everything afresh when I bought a series X, and to be honest it wasn’t a great idea because it took forever, despite having fairly fast broadband. I think Microsoft’s systems here are pretty good - a load of stuff will get patched, but for the most part that won’t be anywhere near as much of a faff as downloading everything from scratch.

I can say how this works now. I get about 60 Mbps downloading from the store (ethernet cable, BT fibre) and get about twice that over wifi from my old Xbox). Transfer works fine. When I start the game it tells me there’s an update to improve things on the Series which so far have been small but I haven’t tried the likes of Halo and Forza yet. 

Yes I’ve just seen that on the Overcooked special edition, just downloaded the 9GB game again. And it’s definitely fiddly copying with no guarantee of success and then have to launch the game to see if the patch is small or enormous. So I’d probably recommend just downloading from the store unless your internet won’t like it, save the bother. 

1 hour ago, hub2 said:

Looking for recommendations for headsets so my son can chat to his friends on FIFA and Fortnite. 

Is the official Xbox one wired headset decent? No frills needed and not interested in paying too much as I suspect it will be broken in a month anyway. ;)

The official stereo one reviews pretty well for what it is, though you could pick up an arctic wired one for £20 cheaper (I have the wireless version of that for my switch, it’s not bad and pretty hard wearing)

SteelSeries 61427 Arctis 1 Wired Gaming Headset – Detachable ClearCast Microphone – Lightweight Steel-Reinforced Headband – For PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Mobile – Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PS3Y5BY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Y947JTYRG9RG2DRB56J7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 hour ago, hub2 said:

The official Xbox wireless one is great and supports 3D audio. Really comfortable and well worth the £90 asking price. Dolby Arnos licenses are also on sale right now (you’ll need one for the headset for some reason). 

I remember having Forza Horizion 4 do the Series upgrade thing when I got my SX last year. Realised down the line that I then had two copies of the game now installed, the XB1 version on the external and the Series version on the internal, great! Never happened again to be fair.

Finally took the plunge and grabbed a Series S at the weekend to complement my PS5 and upgrade from my creaky OG Xbox One. 

straight out of the box, the controller was broken - right trigger doesn’t work! Complained to Amazon and they’ve refunded me £55 - but since the Series is compatible with old controllers, I’ve just pocketed that and will use my old controllers.

Meaning I got my Series S for £195 - bargain!

4 minutes ago, Madness said:

Finally took the plunge and grabbed a Series S at the weekend to complement my PS5 and upgrade from my creaky OG Xbox One. 

straight out of the box, the controller was broken - right trigger doesn’t work! Complained to Amazon and they’ve refunded me £55 - but since the Series is compatible with old controllers, I’ve just pocketed that and will use my old controllers.

Meaning I got my Series S for £195 - bargain!

Madness!

On 18/12/2021 at 13:33, Strafe said:

Ever since I got the Dolby app I really like my Xbox wireless headset. I thought the sound out of the box was very average but the Dolby app is well worth the fiver or whatever it was I paid on the Icelandic store.

I haven’t even tried the dual connection functionality yet. I can take calls from my phone and listen to wort wort wort’s in Halo at the same time, right?

Worth picking up one of the new controllers too though IMO, I liked the Xbox One controller but the Series is even nicer. 

21 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Worth picking up one of the new controllers too though IMO, I liked the Xbox One controller but the Series is even nicer. 

I have a series pad which came with the machine already but then got an elite series 2 (£80 from Amazon warehouse with a 20% off voucher a while back). It’s a vast improvement over the first series pad, assuming it doesn’t break after 13 months.

The battery life is pretty bonkers, even by xbox standards.

17 minutes ago, JoeK said:

My christmas present to myself is the Xbox headset, and a Pulse one aswell.

Shut up you, it’s how I’m justifying it to myself.

I will sell my current headset if that helps. 

Don’t forget to get the Dolby app for the Xbox, it’s a vast improvement over the standard audio pumped through headphones.

No Series X for me. 🙄

Email from Amazon telling me the order has been cancelled.

Jumped on live chat and they told me that it must have been an accidental click while I was looking at my account or something.

Odd because, at the time it was allegedly cancelled by me, I was watching Captain America: Civil War with the boy. 🤔

10 minutes ago, MrHendo said:

What’s the best game to show off what the X can do?

I’ve had the base Xbox One for years, played some Horizon 5 on the old machine and I’m guessing that would be the best option?

it is quite the jump from the base bone to the new XsX

38 minutes ago, MrHendo said:

I’ve had the base Xbox One for years, played some Horizon 5 on the old machine and I’m guessing that would be the best option?

I think the most next gen thing at the moment is that new Matrix demo right?

I’ve got the Matrix downloaded, will give that a spin when the in-house Keanu super fan is around to dribble at it.

I moved some of the newer games from the external drive (most surprised it knew what it was and the games all work) to the internal and tried out Control and the loading times are a joy!

54 minutes ago, MrHendo said:

I'm still stuck on a 1X but maybe Flight Simulator would be a good one to show off the SX