IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

35 minutes ago, jimmbob said:

What’s the general consensus on those wireless Xbox headsets? 
I have enough moon points to nab one, but was wondering what the advantages are over a no name wired set that I currently use? Is the sound particularly resplendent? 

As Cassidy says Atmos is excellent with them. Personally for me the ability to sync up to two devices is a god send for when I'm cross platforming things. Being able to hear in game audio while talking on Discord is brilliant. If you don't need that functionality and won't get anything out of buying Dolby Atmos put the credit towards a game or summat.

1 hour ago, cassidy said:

The official Xbox one. 

Well I expect Atmos can make a bit of a difference. 

52 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

As Cassidy says Atmos is excellent with them. Personally for me the ability to sync up to two devices is a god send for when I'm cross platforming things. Being able to hear in game audio while talking on Discord is brilliant. If you don't need that functionality and won't get anything out of buying Dolby Atmos put the credit towards a game or summat.

Thanks guys. I don’t know what Dolby Atmos is, so perhaps ignorance is bliss in this situation. However I sense a day of googling, YouTubing, and review perusing is order of the day tomorrow (at work)…

2 hours ago, jimmbob said:

What’s the general consensus on those wireless Xbox headsets? 
I have enough moon points to nab one, but was wondering what the advantages are over a no name wired set that I currently use? Is the sound particularly resplendent? 

They sound tremendous especially if you configure them a bit (they are fine out of the box just a bit bass heavy) 

I’ve been playing Halo Infinite using them and oh my gosh. Someone in the discussion for that game said the guns sound weedy :blink:

8 hours ago, JPL said:

I actually like the poster. It’d be better without the text though.

A bit like any mash-up t-shirts featuring a Japanese characters where the creator feels the need to bash you over the head with it by also putting the character's name in Japanese on the shirt. Sure that might fly outside of Japan, but you would look like a complete clown wearing that kind of thing around here. Yes, it's possible that I'm just salty that I can't wear my Godzilla + Great Wave off Kanagawa t-shirt but this kind of unnecessary text does feel like a failing of modern design.

15 hours ago, FatOldGeek said:

Completed the Power On series. First 5 were fantastic. The final episode was a bit of a let down as the final 30 minutes or so felt very much like an Xbox advertisement. Overall really really good though and well worth anyone’s time. 

I have the last episode to watch today and agree it's a quality series.  Very insightful and great they managed to have so many people interviewed.

44 minutes ago, djbhammer said:

I have the last episode to watch today and agree it's a quality series.  Very insightful and great they managed to have so many people interviewed.

I have watched up to chapter 6. It is strange as I feel like i have been on a journey with this console as a consumer, having bought the original and all previous ones apart from the Series S.

I am not sure if they mention it in a later episode, but I am surprised how they have not mentioned what a big deal it was to have Team Ninja on board producing what was the best graphics and some of the best games on the original Xbox and the 360. Those games along with Halo was the main reason I had to have an Xbox.

14 hours ago, Stanley said:

They sound tremendous especially if you configure them a bit (they are fine out of the box just a bit bass heavy) 

What settings did you go for? Mine arrived earlier this week and I am finding there's too much bass, but haven't got around to fiddling with the settings just yet.

3 hours ago, Quest said:

What settings did you go for? Mine arrived earlier this week and I am finding there's too much bass, but haven't got around to fiddling with the settings just yet.

Someone earlier in the thread recommended these videos, and I just used those as a base and then messed about a bit more until it sounded how I liked it. Basically lowering the bass frequencies and upping the midrange.

I use Atmos but I don’t really bother with the game performance enhancer or whatever it’s called. 

It is one of those daft quality of life, first world issues that it annoys me intensely that my perfectly great wireless Steel series headphones will not do the wireless bit on anything but the PC. Everything works fine of course, and I've been using them for all my gaming, but y'know what? Fucking hate wires so, so much. 

I'm sure other headsets do it, but I really like the outside of the earpieces on the official wireless headset being big dials that control volume on one side and chat/game audio mix on the other. Just really easy to use, and the way it makes it physically obviously when you are at 50/50 mix is nice.

Again not unique to the headphones as the Dolby Atmos app will work with any headphones, but it's amazing how great it is in Halo Infinite MP when you can pretty much tell exactly which direction enemies are approaching from the sound of their footsteps, even being able to tell if they are above of below you.

Three on my radar from the latest sale:

Borderlands Legendary Collection (1, 2 and Pre-Sequel) - £15.99

Bioshock Collection - £7.99 (own disc but digital seems a steal).

Control UE (Series edition) - £10.49 (I own the XB1 original release and loved the game - Is it worth buying the next gen version aside from getting all the DLC which I haven't played)

Ever since I got the Dolby app I really like my Xbox wireless headset. I thought the sound out of the box was very average but the Dolby app is well worth the fiver or whatever it was I paid on the Icelandic store.

I haven’t even tried the dual connection functionality yet. I can take calls from my phone and listen to wort wort wort’s in Halo at the same time, right?

8 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Ever since I got the Dolby app I really like my Xbox wireless headset. I thought the sound out of the box was very average but the Dolby app is well worth the fiver or whatever it was I paid on the Icelandic store.

I haven’t even tried the dual connection functionality yet. I can take calls from my phone and listen to wort wort wort’s in Halo at the same time, right?

Yep. Makes cross play with PC and PS a fucking doddle due to the apps on the phone. AND you can charge your phone at the same time seeing as some cunt thought it'd be a good idea to ditch the 3.5mm jack on most modern phones. I'm going to be salty forever about that

This is worse than that. Juddering and then speeding up to catch up to ‘live’ happens fairly often. Generally what looks like an inconsistent frame rate. I’ve never had a problem watching it on Prime on whichever device I’ve watched it on. 

It does show that in many ways we are nowhere near ready to switch to online only delivery.