IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

1 hour ago, mikeyl said:

It’s the forced admin, the having to do something every day, the repetition, the attendance, the menial rewards, which makes it feel like a job. It’s not ‘free’ anything. It’s fine and cool, get some points but it is an exchange for some very light administration and don’t see why you’d all argue that’s not the case.

Just ordered an X, despite being convinced that the S was the best one and gave me everything I needed in its aesthetically pleasing little white box. It was the lack of Ks and performance gap in Halo which finally did for me. Have nowhere to put it, probably going next to the tele and ruining the entire symmetry of the tele setup.

Not at all. I paid a £1 at the start of my sub for 3 months and I've been doing it every day since. Built up enough points for membership to last me til the end of next year so far and it's only been about 5 months for me. In this time I've play through Yakuza 0, 1,2, 3, 4, 5 and 7. Played Halo Infinite for free, new Forza game and so so many other free games thanks to Game Pass. I would have bought all of those games so I've saved a fortune and I've never played so many games on a single format so quickly before. Its amazing just what a good thing this is to do and so, so easy. It literally takes me a few minutes to click some pages and random quizzes for points, you also get them for regular achievements which is quite easy to do when you are playing so much stuff.. for free. Often feels like I'm ripping them off for the lack of effort it takes 🤣

I was afraid my Xbox account had been hacked last night. Out of the blue I got two notifications on my phone that I'd unlocked two new achievements, but I wasn't playing at the time. Even more curious, the game in question hadn't been played by me since last weekend so I started to panic. Turned out it was two achievements from the last session that hadn't unlocked at the time, for some reason. 

I've seen achievements not unlocking before, Hades on Xbox springs to mind, but there it fixed itself the next time I launched the game so it was a bit curious to have achievements unlocked while not even being logged on. 

Without trying to extend this repeat debate further, the last few pages of the actual MS Rewards thread rather undermines the argument that it's no effort or low maintenance. Not that it doesn't offer a decent reward, but it clearly requires work from the customer.

39 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Not at all. I paid a £1 at the start of my sub for 3 months and I've been doing it every day since. Built up enough points for membership to last me til the end of next year so far and it's only been about 5 months for me. In this time I've play through Yakuza 0, 1,2, 3, 4, 5 and 7. Played Halo Infinite for free, new Forza game and so so many other free games thanks to Game Pass. I would have bought all of those games so I've saved a fortune and I've never played so many games on a single format so quickly before. Its amazing just what a good thing this is to do and so, so easy. It literally takes me a few minutes to click some pages and random quizzes for points, you also get them for regular achievements which is quite easy to do when you are playing so much stuff.. for free. Often feels like I'm ripping them off for the lack of effort it takes 🤣

What’s being described here is literal work, the exchange of labour for a commodity (with an added loyalty trap that further restricts agency). My actual job I do mostly fuck all and get rewards out of it too.

This year I made about a tenner, and that’s me thinking I grinded like mad, even playing a level of Just Cause or whatever. That’s work.

9 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

What’s being described here is literal work, the exchange of labour for a commodity (with an added loyalty trap that further restricts agency). My actual job I do mostly fuck all and get rewards out of it too.

This year I made about a tenner, and that’s me thinking I grinded like mad, even playing a level of Just Cause or whatever. That’s work.

I spent 18 hours over the weekend playing through Yak 5 and still got another 20 or so before I hit the 6th game with. All for free. I spend a few minutes clicking a couple of boxes and links for utter nonsense. I don't read it, interact or take it on board. Even my searches are random letters tapped like a madman. Best work I've ever had.

1 hour ago, Kryptonian said:

Is the point being made over the last page or so that essentially *nothing* is free as it will cost time or energy to acquire it?

I guess if someone is fortunate enough to get some points so they offset their monthly sub or buy games without using cash by doing it whilst not negatively impacting their life, it's fine. If someone else can't spare x minutes and is happy to buy stuff using cash that's fine too.

Exactly. I am both very protective of the time my employer doesn't get and lucky enough that, broadly, my situation means I don't notice the cost of a £10.99 subscription.

If either of those are different then things are very different.

It's that people somehow miss that  it realyl is trading some amount of time for some amount of benefit.

"I don't like it, so I'm going to spend my time on the internet telling everyone who likes it that they're WRONG and they should STOP BEING WRONG and say that they're idiot lab rats for liking it"

Imagine being so unhappy with your life that telling others they shouldn't do this seems like a worthwhile effort. I can't be arsed with Microsoft Rewards so I don't pay attention to it. I don't come flailing into this thread to tell everyone they're wrong for engaging with it though.

Just taken delivery of my All Access Series X from Game.  Was going to keep it for myself but have decided that I am giving it to my eldest lad for Xmas.  He has wanted one for a while but cant afford one due to being on apprentice wages

If I want to make sure I can use the Ultimate I have to set my account as the home console and just add his to the series x. Then I add my account to his One X and use that with the full benefits

Does that make it so that both he and I have full access to the 2 year Ultimate subscription?

Been out of the Xbox loop for a while

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

It passes the time and gives me joy

Wasn't really something I was looking for an answer for.  Sorry if it came off that way. 

FWIW I got most of my Halo Elite Controller using Microsoft Points and now don't really pay much attention to it (but I do keep the Xbox weekly thing going). Would happily say it was worthwhile, but I don't lose any sleep over not doing it.

I don’t care if it’s worth it or not, and for those who put in the time, no mistake, it’s not a negligible amount of time if you end up getting £150/£50 MS credit, but congrats. No one is telling anyone to stop doing it or whatever. It’s not ‘free’ though, by any definition (or theory of work).

3 hours ago, mikeyl said:

It’s the forced admin, the having to do something every day, the repetition, the attendance, the menial rewards, which makes it feel like a job. It’s not ‘free’ anything. It’s fine and cool, get some points but it is an exchange for some very light administration and don’t see why you’d all argue that’s not the case.

Just ordered an X, despite being convinced that the S was the best one and gave me everything I needed in its aesthetically pleasing little white box. It was the lack of Ks and performance gap in Halo which finally did for me. Have nowhere to put it, probably going next to the tele and ruining the entire symmetry of the tele setup.

The console footstool industry should be a thing.

52 minutes ago, MikeF said:

Just taken delivery of my All Access Series X from Game.  Was going to keep it for myself but have decided that I am giving it to my eldest lad for Xmas.  He has wanted one for a while but cant afford one due to being on apprentice wages

If I want to make sure I can use the Ultimate I have to set my account as the home console and just add his to the series x. Then I add my account to his One X and use that with the full benefits

Does that make it so that both he and I have full access to the 2 year Ultimate subscription?

Been out of the Xbox loop for a while

Correct 

4 hours ago, mikeyl said:

Don't you play destiny on two different consoles? That's more admin that this!

Quite amusing reading all the MS rewards stuff. The commodity here is your time and where you feel it best spent. Its something that you can't buy back. Entertainment industries rely on you spending time on them. So every hour longer you spend on say Xbox the more time you are spending with MS. Arguably you can make reward stuff during the dayjob at work.. .equally you spend that time to learn something new that would give you far greater rewards than... well something to buy that would keep you within the MS ecosystem - whether it a bit of new MS hardware or some free software. For example learning new skills to better your career? Could lead to a £5-10K pay rise etc... anyway just saying the currency here is not of monetary value but one of time. 

Nothing wrong with the rewards system its great... if you value rewards. :) Personally I don't. I'd rather be doing some more interesting things with my downtime and limit my gaming a bit to keep my life in balance a bit. Gaming is fun but only a tiny facet of where I spend my time. And I want to keep it that way. 

I got an Xbox Series X last week after being out since having an Xbox 360 in 2015. Really enjoying Gamepass and Halo Infinite. The dashboard is a bit busy and the amount of reward/achievement notifications can be a bit much. 

Also I’ve noticed since being in the Xbox threads that in general Xbox users are even bigger cunts than PS5 users. So well done on that.

24 minutes ago, dizogg said:

I got an Xbox Series X last week after being out since having an Xbox 360 in 2015. Really enjoying Gamepass and Halo Infinite. The dashboard is a bit busy and the amount of reward/achievement notifications can be a bit much. 

Also I’ve noticed since being in the Xbox threads that in general Xbox users are even bigger cunts than PS5 users. So well done on that.

I resemble that statement.