Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

Interesting, I've never noticed that there are rules to the "always keep my apps and games up to date" thing. 

As a general UI point, it's worth noting that a thing (game icon, etc.) in the interface typically has more options if you hit the menu button on the pad. I suppose you can think of it as right mouse click. Or Options on a PS4? I forget the equivalent.

2 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

There's no benefit to it, that's why. Your bandwidth is limited - splitting it across two or more games just means you wait longer for any one of them. 

A queue is entirely sensible

LAND OF HOPE AND GLORY

LA LA LA LA LA

3 hours ago, bear said:

The console version of Edge has been updated to Chromium now so you can play Stadia on your Xbox now. Seems a little finicky to get going if you are just using the Xbox pad but if you have a Stadia controller it works fine. 

I think the dash is 4K now as well. I loaded it up this morning and my ancient avatar gamerpic suddenly seemed very low-res which I'm guessing is down to a higher resolution for the dashboard. 

What is this edge and chromium and stadia on Xbox?

Does this beast have no limits?

There should be a Win 95 slider control to let me specify how much bandwidth is dedicated to app updates.

Complete aside but I've never found a store app update to stop me using the store. I don't auto update, but if the store says it needs one I click to accept and am able to carry on doing what I was doing (typically grabbing Gold freebies).

2 hours ago, Strafe said:

My PS5 definitely does.

My PS5 doesn’t, i was sure the PS4 did but ive mes remembered so much about that machine who knows!

I know my PS5 was getting 3 downloads but only one was active the other day tho.

PS4 does, I just turned it on and it's doing two small game updates (~200mb each, by coincidence) at the same time. The PS4 doesn't report live speed so I've no idea if it's saturating the bandwidth. It also had a Genshin 20gb update to do, not sure if it picked those smaller ones first or that Genhin took longer to get the update going.

I genuinely don't see the point. On any system you're going to want to prioritize the thing you want, right? Unless you don't care, and then multi downloads matter even less.

11 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Series x is a great console but why when it does an update is it not like a 10 second job like the switch. This one took about 4 minutes. 

The original Xbox One took about an hour to do a system update, it was excruciating. How far we’ve come. 

11 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Series x is a great console but why when it does an update is it not like a 10 second job like the switch. This one took about 4 minutes. 

I think the Xbox OS alone is bigger than the entire internal memory of the Switch. When the system applies a new upgrade it makes a snapshot of its current installation before applying the new stuff, then checks if everything is up to speed during boot, so I don't think a handful of minutes is a very long time for an update on such hardware.

17 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

I suppose it's not as bad as my iphone, ios15 has been updating for the last 20 minutes on that thing.

That took me more than an hour in total (including download). 

This is possibly a daft question, but can you use a Series X/S controller with both the console and a PC at the same time - inasmuch as does it need to resync every time you switch from playing on the console to PC? I'd rather use just the one controller and keep the other nice and new in reserve if I don't have to fart around each time!

4 minutes ago, JoeK said:

This is possibly a daft question, but can you use a Series X/S controller with both the console and a PC at the same time - inasmuch as does it need to resync every time you switch from playing on the console to PC? I'd rather use just the one controller and keep the other nice and new in reserve if I don't have to fart around each time!

Yeah you can. Pair it to both devices, then you can just double tap the sync button to switch between PC and Xbox.

Interesting. So I could use the pad for mobile/gamepass also. I tried a Nintendo pro controller on my phone yesterday and it's unusable. Awful lag time. Its a known thing (unknown to me until I tried it and googled it though)

20 hours ago, TehStu said:

I'll let all the developers know, when I get a sec.

Luckily you should have a few minutes spare when the Xbox updates. 

It just seems odd that folk laud quick resume, ssds and the like for providing a fast gaming experience, but when it comes to problems like slow updates or patches they are ignored and even defended because what else can the poor devs do?