Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

3 minutes ago, Hamus said:

Oops, well I signed up for the £1 offer anyway and I'll just have to take the hit later. No matter!

It's even worth the asking price so shouldn't be the end of the world. 

5 minutes ago, Hamus said:

Oops, well I signed up for the £1 offer anyway and I'll just have to take the hit later. No matter!

You can still do the gold conversion thing once your £1 month expires.

It will just cost you £11 for a normal month subscription rather than £1 to do the conversion (add the Gold after the Gamepass expires and then resubscribe).

21 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

You can still do the gold conversion thing once your £1 month expires.

It will just cost you £11 for a normal month subscription rather than £1 to do the conversion (add the Gold after the Gamepass expires and then resubscribe).

Yeah, let's see how much I use it!

Thanks all :)

Christ the Xbox dashboard is fussy and dull.

Turning it on so I could download the halo beta. It had to download a store update first. Then once I’d restarted so the store would refresh the halo infinite build (which it tells you to do), I had to download another store update.

All the while you have to go in and out of apps, half that don’t launch until you’ve clicked on it 5 times when you boot up.

There’s a fortnite update (which didn’t appear until I restarted the console). It’s 21gig and I want to download the halo infinite beta first. So I pause fortnite download so the halo one goes first.

Then I decide to resume fortnite so it gets queued and I don’t have to remember to come back.

So my Xbox, in its infinite wisdom, decides to start downloading that and prioritise fortnite instead. It’s bad enough you can’t have simultaneous downloads let alone not being able to prioritise anything.

Ok that worked but it’s not exactly intuitive. That it doesn’t do simultaneous downloads is quite something.

Now, let’s talk about why I have a sponsored advert for Derry Girls on my homescreen.

26 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Christ the Xbox dashboard is fussy and dull.

Turning it on so I could download the halo beta. It had to download a store update first. Then once I’d restarted so the store would refresh the halo infinite build (which it tells you to do), I had to download another store update.

All the while you have to go in and out of apps, half that don’t launch until you’ve clicked on it 5 times when you boot up.

It's because it's an insider test flight. Downloading released games is as simple as clicking on them once.

Also, no idea why you had to click anything 5 times. It's all single click for me.

26 minutes ago, Strafe said:

There are adverts on my dashboard home screen. Christ on a bike. The sponsored ones you can’t even tell to show less of.

Who signed this off

I'd forgotten about that - my pihole setup kills them but it's still abysmal that they exist. Are they at least for Xbox-related gear?

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

It's because it's an insider test flight. Downloading released games is as simple as clicking on them once.

Also, no idea why you had to click anything 5 times. It's all single click for me.

I think the machine was still fully booting up in the background so I couldn’t start the app.

Also, I don’t get why I had to download a second store update after downloading the first one.

1 minute ago, Schnibbles said:

I'd forgotten about that - my pihole setup kills them but it's still abysmal that they exist. Are they at least for Xbox-related gear?

One for Derry Girls (sponsored) and a covid vaccine ad. I am double jabbed and in no way an anti vaxxer but they can both fuck right off.

37 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I think the machine was still fully booting up in the background so I couldn’t start the app.

Also, I don’t get why I had to download a second store update after downloading the first one.

Are you on a Series? Mine boots up before my TV even comes on!

Don’t worry about the store thing, mine did that as well. I think it’s just because this is a test flight. It doesn’t usually have to update like that.

Adverts like Derry Girls is a perfect reminder why the last thing we need is a ‘winner’ in the console arms race. Both Microsoft and Sony go absolutely fucking nuts the moment they think they can get away with it. 

I never understand why people get wound up about the ads. If it’s something I’m interested in, I’ll click it. If not, I won’t bother. It’s not like it takes up loads of space.

27 minutes ago, JPL said:

Are you on a Series? Mine boots up before my TV even comes on!

Don’t worry about the store thing, mine did that as well. I think it’s just because this is a test flight. It doesn’t usually have to update like that.

Series X. It might be that I haven’t used it in a while.

3 minutes ago, JPL said:

I never understand why people get wound up about the ads. If it’s something I’m interested in, I’ll click it. If not, I won’t bother. It’s not like it takes up loads of space.

I half agree but it’s just a Liberty really and sets a bad precedent. I’m not getting anything for these adverts in terms of subsidised hardware or content to read, it’s just an advert slap bang on my homescreen. I’d say it’s broadly equivalent to having adverts appear on my desktop on my Mac.

I’d be less fussed if it were for actual games.

The adverts are a bit galling because I pay for Xbox Live / Gamepass, and it’s a bit of a pisstake getting random adverts on a service I subscribe to. It would make more sense if they only cropped up for people on the free tier. 

That said, they’re pretty discreet and it’s not like they interrupt anything, but it still feels a bit cheap. 

13 minutes ago, K said:

The adverts are a bit galling because I pay for Xbox Live / Gamepass, and it’s a bit of a pisstake getting random adverts on a service I subscribe to. It would make more sense if they only cropped up for people on the free tier. 

That said, they’re pretty discreet and it’s not like they interrupt anything, but it still feels a bit cheap. 

Sky fucking TV.

6 minutes ago, Strafe said:

What is the Xbox free tier? I didn’t think there was one. Just gold and/or gamepass.

I meant people who don't have Gold or Gamepass. 

This is an amazing piece of kit.

When I got a PS4 (only 2018) it didn't feel 'next gen'.

This truly does, it's pretty seamless. It is only held back by my slow broadband!

One question. How many quick resume titles can it stack?