Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

Make sure you play as the female character though. 

21 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Kassandra is 100% the only way to play Odyssey.

17 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

And yeah, Kassandra all the way.

all-of-the-above-all-of-them.gif

Just now, JPL said:

Have you never bought any kind of storage before? 😀

Of course I have! It's a quirk of this industry, particularly of proprietary stuff, that chafes my balls. 

It just makes me question whether (should it actually turn out to be real) whether it'll be enough to solve my current woes or if I should just bite the bullet and get a 1tb card. Especially as we've seen the 1tb one go for about 160ish.

2 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Of course I have! It's a quirk of this industry, particularly of proprietary stuff, that chafes my balls. 

It just makes me question whether (should it actually turn out to be real) whether it'll be enough to solve my current woes or if I should just bite the bullet and get a 1tb card. Especially as we've seen the 1tb one go for about 160ish.

I know, I’m only messing. I’m still hoping they license it out to other manufacturers, so there can be a bit of a price war.

That's not a bad idea, if the socket is up to regular connecting/disconnecting. You assume it would be as hardy as USB A but who knows.

I keep flip flopping between a huge spinning rust drive and this damn expansion. The eternal over-analyst. Sigh.

I had assumed it'd be hardy enough but that's a good point. It wouldn't be a daily thing but it'd be fairly regular so how can you tell? Is that what it's designed for or is it taking the place of the external HDD? I doubt there's enough entitled pricks like me who go "Oh I'd like a second next generation console for my fucking convenience plus a memory card to move my games around" that it'd be a design consideration?

5 hours ago, Boothjan said:

By far the best in the series IMO (not played Valhalla yet though).  It's very, very long but personally, I love Ancient Greece so that wasn't a problem for me.  Tempted to go back to it actually now it's had a Framerate boost.

I preferred Origins (but I have a big thing for Egyptian mythos) but Odyssey, Origins and Valhalla are all great (albeit largely very similar games).

The female leads in all three are the more interesting characters

4 minutes ago, Darren said:

Wouldn’t it be almost as convenient, and a lot cheaper, to buy another HDMI and power cable and just move the X between rooms?

Well, how long could the sockets for the power and HDMI cope with being moved frequently? Look, this is very much the definition of a first world problem. I have a very unique set up at home where I have my Series X in the front room along with my other halfs but need to move to where all my PC and shit is if she wants to watch TV or whatever, so the solution was to buy another console. The Series S is literally perfect because it's 'cheap', it's not 4k, I don't want to use anything on it that isn't S/X enhanced so I'm not missing out on One X enhancement and it removes the potential of fucking my Series X by humping it in and out of the front room.

I'm going to shut up now.

4 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Feels like a complete waste of time too.  You've got one slot and you're going to use it to expand the storage by less than 2 Calls of Duty?

8 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Well, how long could the sockets for the power and HDMI cope with being moved frequently? Look, this is very much the definition of a first world problem. I have a very unique set up at home where I have my Series X in the front room along with my other halfs but need to move to where all my PC and shit is if she wants to watch TV or whatever, so the solution was to buy another console. The Series S is literally perfect because it's 'cheap', it's not 4k, I don't want to use anything on it that isn't S/X enhanced so I'm not missing out on One X enhancement and it removes the potential of fucking my Series X by humping it in and out of the front room.

I'm going to shut up now.

You have 2 Series X's in the front room?

Would it not make more sense to move one to the games room and just have 2 profiles on the one in the living room (adding extra storage if required)

Just now, dreamylittledream said:

You have 2 Series X's in the front room?

Would it not make more sense to move one to the games room and just have 2 profiles on the one in the living room (adding extra storage if required)

No, because we have 2 TVs. She plays hers and I play mine, we can't do with fighting over one console and one TV. It's a very odd set up which I took an inordinate amount of flack over in the 'your setup' thread a while ago :P

I've not explained it very well because I'm tired. We like being in the same room rather than being across the house, so when she's doing shit on her console and TV, I'm doing shit on mine with a headset.

Just now, moosegrinder said:

No, because we have 2 TVs. She plays hers and I play mine, we can't do with fighting over one console and one TV. It's a very odd set up which I took an inordinate amount of flack over in the 'your setup' thread a while ago :P

I've not explained it very well because I'm tired. We like being in the same room rather than being across the house, so when she's doing shit on her console and TV, I'm doing shit on mine with a headset.

Oh two Tvs and playing at the same time - I get it now (and yeah I remember - that front room would have put my other half into a trauma based coma but I could see the appeal).

Its completely understandable though - I have a stupidly expensive laptop to game on as we like to be together in the evening even though we don't want to be watching the same thing and we only have the one TV.

I reckon the Series S would be perfect for you then - its a fabulous little machine.  Maybe an external HD to transfer stuff though rather than the ridiculously priced SSD card thing - it really doesn't take long to move things.  I have a 2gb HD hooked up to mine and its easy just to move the things that are frequently in play in and out.

9 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Why are you two shitting on your consoles?

Does it keep them from overheating?

10 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

CoD is the outlier, but yeah it's not nearly enough. I'd be surprised if Infinite and Horizon 5 are sub 80gb each for example. THe space situation is only gonna get worse.

tbh I was mostly pleased with "Calls of Duty".

But yeah, Horizon 4 is over 100gb with DLC and it's unlikely 5 is going to be smaller.

Just get the  1tb card bought next time it's available at a discount. I definitely would not suggest buying slower storage since you'll only end up buying the official card later on anyway and then you'll be left with a hard drive you don't really want or end up leaving connected so you can have even more games on hand to not play.

If Microsoft are putting out a smaller card so they can sell at a lower price, that tells you the cost of storage is not changing very quickly.

For PS5 and Series X|S I would recommend a traditional USB HDD for BC games if you’ve got a sizeable library. Save the SSDs for PS5 and Series X|S games.

For me at least, I can see me going through multiple SSD upgrades during the gen if the Switch and SD cards are anything to go by.

Playing Odyssey at the moment, which I picked up in the sale. Playing as Alexios, so that’s a bummer that Kassandra is a better bet. Am mopping up the Athens missions at the moment, but quite a few hours in, so don’t really want to restart.

4 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Playing Odyssey at the moment, which I picked up in the sale. Playing as Alexios, so that’s a bummer that Kassandra is a better bet. Am mopping up the Athens missions at the moment, but quite a few hours in, so don’t really want to restart.

I just restarted as her :)

it looks next gen with the FPS boost 

11 hours ago, Dudley said:

Feels like a complete waste of time too.  You've got one slot and you're going to use it to expand the storage by less than 2 Calls of Duty?

CoD is over 250gb these days? Jesus!