IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

11 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Series x is a great console but why when it does an update is it not like a 10 second job like the switch. This one took about 4 minutes. 

The original Xbox One took about an hour to do a system update, it was excruciating. How far we’ve come. 

11 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Series x is a great console but why when it does an update is it not like a 10 second job like the switch. This one took about 4 minutes. 

I think the Xbox OS alone is bigger than the entire internal memory of the Switch. When the system applies a new upgrade it makes a snapshot of its current installation before applying the new stuff, then checks if everything is up to speed during boot, so I don't think a handful of minutes is a very long time for an update on such hardware.

This is possibly a daft question, but can you use a Series X/S controller with both the console and a PC at the same time - inasmuch as does it need to resync every time you switch from playing on the console to PC? I'd rather use just the one controller and keep the other nice and new in reserve if I don't have to fart around each time!

4 minutes ago, JoeK said:

This is possibly a daft question, but can you use a Series X/S controller with both the console and a PC at the same time - inasmuch as does it need to resync every time you switch from playing on the console to PC? I'd rather use just the one controller and keep the other nice and new in reserve if I don't have to fart around each time!

Yeah you can. Pair it to both devices, then you can just double tap the sync button to switch between PC and Xbox.

20 hours ago, TehStu said:

I'll let all the developers know, when I get a sec.

Luckily you should have a few minutes spare when the Xbox updates. 

It just seems odd that folk laud quick resume, ssds and the like for providing a fast gaming experience, but when it comes to problems like slow updates or patches they are ignored and even defended because what else can the poor devs do? 

1 minute ago, Hitcher said:

Patching takes as long as it takes; there's no way to speed it up. Would you rather things just didn't get fixed?

To be fair, it would be good to be able to play the game without updating. Once there’s a patch, it locks you out of the game until you apply it.

22 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

I guess but I'd rather play a fixed game though.

Can you not just disconnect the internet connection and play?

I’m not that arsed really. Certainly not to the point I’d prioritise unplugging my Ethernet cable over letting the game update. I’m too lazy for that!

I think my series x has just died.

After booting up after a minute or so the power light blinks rapidly and it shuts off completely, the controller light stays on and when booting up the xbox again it does the whole launch sequence them does the same again

Just tried to reset console to see if it helps

Edit: got through the reset process without it happening and fingers crossed it seems okay now.. 

4 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Luckily you should have a few minutes spare when the Xbox updates. 

It just seems odd that folk laud quick resume, ssds and the like for providing a fast gaming experience, but when it comes to problems like slow updates or patches they are ignored and even defended because what else can the poor devs do? 

I'm not defending anyone, I'm taking the piss. Updates on the Switch DO take a long time if they're sufficiently big, they just tend not to be. I can't stand the size of modern games, and with a 1Tb monthly data cap I have to plan out which games I download and which I update (only have the OS set to auto).

If you want to complain about the fact that you frequently have to re-download the whole 11gb for No Man's Sky instead of some delta patch, man I'm there. Add some extra context. This is an industry wide problem.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S