IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

2 hours ago, K said:

It's in 4K, but I don't think they've upgraded all the textures in all six games. Although thinking about it, Halo 2: Anniversary looks pretty swish with all the super-sharp textures. It looks like a modern game, so could easily be 60GB in itself.

I’m curious to know how much the install size is after you’ve deleted all the individual campaigns from the options menu of the game itself. Once I’ve done Reach I’ll take a look!

2 hours ago, K said:

I think CoD is over 200GB if you have Warzone, the Modern Warfare campaign, and all the trimmings. Plus another 150GB or so if you install Cold War as well. It's fairly modular, so if you don't want the campaign, or the multiplayer, or the Zombies mode, you don't have to install them. But it's still an absolute beast.

It was painful on the wallet, but I'm very happy I bought the 1TB card when Amazon had it on sale. Some games are just fucking huge - Flight Simulator takes up about 150GB, and Halo: MCC is about 130GB. MCC slightly confuses me - it's a compilation of six games, which originally took up seven DVDs. That should be a maximum of about 60GB. Obviously the frontend, the new maps, new armour types, and the anniversary mode for Halo 2 will take up a bit of space. But seventy gig? Where does all that go?

I have never understood why CoD is so big, the amount of content doesn't feel a magnitude bigger than a lot of other games.  The conspiracy theorist in me ponders if its a tactic to literally force other games off HDD's 

13 minutes ago, tobert said:

I have never understood why CoD is so big, the amount of content doesn't feel a magnitude bigger than a lot of other games.  The conspiracy theorist in me ponders if its a tactic to literally force other games off HDD's 

I think I read on Digital Foundry or something that the textures etc are uncompressed and on there multiple times to help stream them in more quickly, which is probably quite vital for a game like Warzone. Although probably less necessary with super-fast storage of the PS5 and Series S/X.

18 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

It just makes me question whether (should it actually turn out to be real) whether it'll be enough to solve my current woes or if I should just bite the bullet and get a 1tb card. Especially as we've seen the 1tb one go for about 160ish.

You’ll definitely need 2TB 🤣

17 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Series S for my room and having a card to hold the monstrosities that I play multiplayer to move between them as needed, but then you're getting into the price of another Series X which is just bonkers.

Which games are they, out of interest? Can’t you just have them installed on the S’s internal drive, so no drive swapping needed?

Get either am external sad or a cheap ssd with a usb-sata adapter, copy over on the x to it then back from it on onto the s. It doesn't take very long ( and for last gen games loading from an external sad is basically the same speed as from internal). Not as elegant as the internal card but better value.

10 hours ago, deerokus said:

Get either am external sad or a cheap ssd with a usb-sata adapter, copy over on the x to it then back from it on onto the s. It doesn't take very long ( and for last gen games loading from an external sad is basically the same speed as from internal). Not as elegant as the internal card but better value.

I have this setup, 1tb on the X and 1tb ssd - tbh ive filled them both and thinking really i should get a 2tb ssd and then pickup the internal card when ive got enough points (£150 atm)

I just like having games there, i dont play most of them but i just deleted flights I’m and of course its a reward activity this week….

Question on cloud syncing... Is it part amazing and part really annoying.

I've got an X and an S and find it's tricky to move from playing a game on one to the other because half the time the other console will end up syncing and earlier save state.

Is there a way to force upload the save I'm missing? It seems like an obvious requirement. Basically playing in bed in the morning. Quit. Force upload. Then start up later in the lounge.

11 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

I've got an X and an S and find it's tricky to move from playing a game on one to the other because half the time the other console will end up syncing and earlier save state.

Is there a way to force upload the save I'm missing? It seems like an obvious requirement. Basically playing in bed in the morning. Quit. Force upload. Then start up later in the lounge.

I've never figured it out. When I switch between my series X and one X on CoD it asks me which I'd prefer to use and dates them both. I don't know if there's an option to force that?

6 minutes ago, Hamus said:

It seems that storage expansion is the best way to go from some chat in here.

The 1TB Seagate card is that the one that's recommended? I'm guessing there isn't a 2TB version.

If you want to expand the S/X memory to play specifically S/X games the Seagate card is your only option.

1 minute ago, Hamus said:

Great thanks I'll get one as soon as my X actually ships.

Whether you want or need one really depends on the types of games you play and how you do so.

My X is about half full with about 20 games installed. I don’t play anything that’s huge. Forza Horizon 4 is probably the largest at about 60gig I think. But many indie things are 10 or much less.

So you might find your style of use means no need for any expansion.

1 minute ago, thesnwmn said:

Whether you want or need one really depends on the types of games you play and how you do so.

My X is about half full with about 20 games installed. I don’t play anything that’s huge. Forza Horizon 4 is probably the largest at about 60gig I think. But many indie things are 10 or much less.

So you might find your style of use means no need for any expansion.

Yeah precisely. I'm only uhming about one because I play gaas monstrosities and I'm sick of uninstalling stuff.

9 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I've never figured it out. When I switch between my series X and one X on CoD it asks me which I'd prefer to use and dates them both. I don't know if there's an option to force that?

I had this once. In one case this week I hadn’t played the game before on my X. It synced data but it clearly grabbed an older one as it was a save from 2 days earlier. Which implies my S hadn’t synced since then.

As I say, a lovely feature in general but missing that extra bit of sheen. Feels like the game data and management screen for games should include an indicator of when it was last synced, an ‘upload’ button to force it and maybe even details of whether there’s another inconsistent version in the cloud.

I'm erring towards my original plan of a giant spinning rust drive to compliment the XSX. Looking at some WD_black drives, the 2.5" external has a peak read of 140MB/s (5TB) and a 3.5" with active cooling peaking at 250MB/s (8-12TB). Is this just the difference between 5400 and 7200rpm? I'm guessing the internal drive on the XB1 is 5400 and so load times for non-VA older titles will be a whisker faster, or about the same? I think this is fine and, honestly, it would be nice not to have to think about deleting stuff. One of my major constraints is my damn monthly data cap, and getting a big HDD is cheaper than bumping my data cap up. Also, my kids bounce off a lot of Game Pass titles but then go back to them later, and keeping those around on blazing storage doesn't make sense. 

I assume you don't see a proper difference until you go at least SSD (~900MB/s) but an external 1TB is a decent chunk of the official 1TB drive and so the value proposition feels less.

22 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

Do you have the consoles in instant on mode? If not and you close the console before it has had time to sync it’ll not be there - with instant on they’ll still upload to cloud after you’ve shut down.

32 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I'm erring towards my original plan of a giant spinning rust drive to compliment the XSX. Looking at some WD_black drives, the 2.5" external has a peak read of 140MB/s (5TB) and a 3.5" with active cooling peaking at 250MB/s (8-12TB). Is this just the difference between 5400 and 7200rpm? I'm guessing the internal drive on the XB1 is 5400 and so load times for non-VA older titles will be a whisker faster, or about the same? I think this is fine and, honestly, it would be nice not to have to think about deleting stuff. One of my major constraints is my damn monthly data cap, and getting a big HDD is cheaper than bumping my data cap up. Also, my kids bounce off a lot of Game Pass titles but then go back to them later, and keeping those around on blazing storage doesn't make sense. 

I assume you don't see a proper difference until you go at least SSD (~900MB/s) but an external 1TB is a decent chunk of the official 1TB drive and so the value proposition feels less.

I have an 8 year old 3TB external drive. I downloaded loads of games onto it over a week. If I want to play I just move it from external to internal and it takes ten minutes. Best and cheapest option. 

20 minutes ago, Yoshimax said:

Do you have the consoles in instant on mode? If not and you close the console before it has had time to sync it’ll not be there - with instant on they’ll still upload to cloud after you’ve shut down.

I think they're both in instant on but will check.

17 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Yeah, I've got my eye on either that 5TB 2.5" model, or the lowest 3.5" which would be 8TB. Sounds like if there are modest gains on a bog standard external drive, there may be a whisker more with the 7200 drive.

Appreciate the advice! 

If it’s a permanent attachment get a 3.5” drive. The usb3.0 bus is faster than the spinning rust can move and you’ll get much more capacity. 

I have 2.5” rusty drive attached and it’s fast enough but freaked out the wife one evening when it span up out of the blue. 

58 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Yeah, I've got my eye on either that 5TB 2.5" model, or the lowest 3.5" which would be 8TB. Sounds like if there are modest gains on a bog standard external drive, there may be a whisker more with the 7200 drive.

Appreciate the advice! 

The Seagate are alway on offer on HotUKDeals. I think 4tb is 80 so massively cheaper than the ssd stick thing. Games run much faster off it due to the better cpu i imagine.