Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

26 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I have never used quick resume. I find that games boot & load so fast on the machine that I’d rather play the game or app from a fresh boot. 

I was thinking I was the only one! I find quick resume to flakey and inconsistent to use with any regularity. If the game has any online scoreboard or weekly/daily challenge element then quick resume can really break that part so I don't bother for the most part. 

41 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I have never used quick resume. I find that games boot & load so fast on the machine that I’d rather play the game or app from a fresh boot. 

What do you mean, can you switch it off? I thought it was just an automatic thing. I just flick between games and if it’s working, it’s all good. If not, it’s really quick to boot up, as you say.

Just now, JPL said:

What do you mean, can you switch it off? I thought it was just an automatic thing. I just flick between games and if it’s working, it’s all good. If not, it’s really quick to boot up, as you say.

When I'm finished playing a game, I close the app. 

Currently in my quick resume.

Red Dead 2 - single player game.

AC : Odyssey - Single player

Skate - single player stutters as it shows old 360 online pop up

Flight sim - I always quit to Welcome screen after a flight, takes about a minute to give the green connected status pop up. Offline mode not downloaded.

Forza Horizon 4- always quit out to menu on finish takes 30 seconds to connect to servers on resuming.

Its pretty amazing I just tried all 5 and had no issues.

Horsey > stabby stabby> ollie flippy > world map > Ferrari.

Did all of them in about 2 minutes.

If I could put Returnal into a quick resume-like suspend and come back to it when I wanted, I'd be playing it more. I don't miss QR a huge amount, but there's no doubt in my mind that I'd benefit from it here and there. It's a nice touch.

10 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

When I'm finished playing a game, I close the app. 

How come? Why not just leave it in the off chance quick resume works?

It’s weird though, as I don’t seem to have many problems with it. Obviously online games don’t really work with it, but pretty much everything else does for me.

3 minutes ago, JPL said:

How come? Why not just leave it in the off chance quick resume works?

It’s weird though, as I don’t seem to have many problems with it. Obviously online games don’t really work with it, but pretty much everything else does for me.

I just don't trust any suspend feature on anything. In my experience, it can lead to weirdness when you do resume, like weird suttering and performance issues due to unmanaged memory and what not. It is my understanding, that this is working differently though. Like it's basically taking a snap-shot like you would with a VM in something like Hyper-V. 

I just don't want to use it, and the fact that everything boots so fast it means I don't really feel I'm missing out. 

Of course, if you love it... fill your boots! 

I may have just got an X from Currys. Not sure I trust it but fingers and toes crossed. Having only bought an S last week it's a bit crazy but meh, only money and I can move the S upstairs to play in bed.

49 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I just don't want to use it, and the fact that everything boots so fast it means I don't really feel I'm missing out. 

No matter how fast they boot you still have to sit through all the loading screens though.

1 minute ago, Hitcher said:

No matter how fast they boot you still have to sit through all the loading screens though.

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

That’s all good @Kevvy Metal, use it how you want to use it. You’re right though in that it takes a snapshot and creates a save state from it, so you shouldn’t see any weirdness like stuttering or anything. I certainly haven’t had any issues with it, other than the odd game not supporting it.

Of course Kevvy can do what he likes, bit Quick Resume still SO MUCH FASTER than fully booting a game. Of course, that varies from game to game but some are a total nightmare for logos, splash screens and button presses, not to mention being dumped into the game at some point other than where you left it. Yes, the SSD means that games load much more quickly than before, but QR is vastly quicker again.

I admit it was annoying at the start when it was more flakey than not (again, varies hugely from game-to-game) but now it's settled down I wouldn't be without it.

So, assuming my S shows up today, I'll have an Xbox One downstairs for the kids to mostly use and the S upstairs. The kids have their own accounts, linked to mine. How do I manage the accounts across both consoles? Can we both play Game Pass at the same time, if they're logged in as themselves?

Any S users here who regret the choice? Or think it's the greatest thing ever?

Just trying to decide if I should hold out for an X - wasn't as quick as @thesnwmn on the Currys website this morning!

TBH I think the S makes sense for me - I have a 1080p TV, and I haven't bought a game on disc since I owned a 360. The 500GB capacity with a storage upgrade that costs the same as the console is not the dream though.

It's worth remembering that no games "support" Quick Resume. It's a quirk that works most of the time. I'm impressed MS even released it since consoles tend to be pretty strict on making sure everything is solid (another reason Kinect died, despite all the cool things people could do with on home dev 95% of the time). 

I'm hopeful that future games will be having it tested on submission along with all the rules for suspend and resume

2 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

It's worth remembering that no games "support" Quick Resume. It's a quirk that works most of the time. I'm impressed MS even released it since consoles tend to be pretty strict on making sure everything is solid (another reason Kinect died, despite all the cool things people could do with on home dev 95% of the time). 

I'm hopeful that future games will be having it tested on submission along with all the rules for suspend and resume

What do you mean? I've got a game (Carto) that it doesn't work with. I don't mean it's odd and broken, it just never goes to the quick resume list. It always boots from cold. So is it just the reverse... game can have it specifically turned off but otherwise they will use it?

21 minutes ago, Schnibbles said:

Just trying to decide if I should hold out for an X - wasn't as quick as @thesnwmn on the Currys website this morning!

TBH I think the S makes sense for me - I have a 1080p TV, and I haven't bought a game on disc since I owned a 360. The 500GB capacity with a storage upgrade that costs the same as the console is not the dream though.

I honestly thing the S is the bargain of the century gaming wise, but then I have a PS5 for big multi format stuff too. 

It's a magical little machine. I'm sure the X is great too but for me the key features are all about the SSD and Gamepass and you get both of those with the S. The only drawbacks may come later when you want to have loads of games installed on the thing but for the price you can't go wrong. 

16 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

I honestly thing the S is the bargain of the century gaming wise, but then I have a PS5 for big multi format stuff too. 

It's a magical little machine. I'm sure the X is great too but for me the key features are all about the SSD and Gamepass and you get both of those with the S. The only drawbacks may come later when you want to have loads of games installed on the thing but for the price you can't go wrong. 

Thanks, that's useful. I don't (and won't for a good long while) have another current-gen console so there is that.

1 hour ago, Hitcher said:

Actually a lot of them you can skip a lot of those too. Forza Horizon 4 for one.

39 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

It's worth remembering that no games "support" Quick Resume.

What do you mean, course loads of games support it. MS are working with devs to make it work better. They’ve recently said as much.

10 minutes ago, Schnibbles said:

I really like mine but you have to be aware of what you are buying. 

Microsoft may claim 1440p is the target resolution but in reality it is a 1080p console. Which is fine for me as I have a 1080p plasma TV I have no intention of replacing. 

You will take hits to graphical fidelity in some games when compared to the Series X. Lower quality or even the absence of Ray tracing for example or maybe a few games that have higher framerate on Series X. 

You won't get the one x enhancements for backwards compatible games. You will be playing the one S version but you will still benefit from a much more powerful console that will eliminate just about any frame drops and max out any game that has a dynamic resolution. In addition there is the auto HDR, which I can't use, and I think the games have antistropic filtering added? 

The SSD is small, there is no sugar coating that, however it is manageable. If you are a person who plays 2-3 games at at time then deletes them when finished you will most likely be fine. You can use external to store and play games as well. The Xbox series enhanced games all have to run from the internal SSD but it is possible to store enhanced games on an external storage device then transfer them to the SSD when you want to play them. I have seen videos where a 60gb game takes maybe 13 minutes to move from external to internal SSD. 

Now the good things, games still look fantastic on a 1080p TV, Hellblade and a Plague Tale are stunning looking games and even old games like Oblivion look good imo. Is it 4k? No but that doesn't means it looks bad, some games may have dynamic resolution scaling but then a lot of games on Series X will have it as well. 

The system is blisteringly fast, from loading games to the UI everything is super smooth, snappy and responsive. Its a joy to use. 

If you are aware of and accept the downsizes then you will have a great time I think. If you go in thinking there will be no difference between the Series S and X except for the resolution that games run at you will likely be dissappoined. 

The Series S is almost half the price of the Series X, it would only need to be £25 cheaper to be half the price. What you get is really good value for money and a Series S with gamepass is without question the best bang for your buck in gaming right now. 

To top it off is practically silent and you can actually easily buy it. 

I love mine. 

24 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

The X is slightly more powerful than the PS5 as well, if that means anything.

I’ve gone X as my primary and I’ll grab a PS5 once they’ve redesigned to look like something I’d want in my house. There’ll be plenty of exclusives out by then as well, so I’ll have a big library of quality games to get stuck into.

18 minutes ago, JPL said:

What do you mean, course loads of games support it. MS are working with devs to make it work better. They’ve recently said as much.

Okay, they're getting support for it if they can. But by default its just working on hope.