Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

11 hours ago, TehStu said:

Are there official storage shortages? I've been given some Amazon gift cards and have enough rewards points to make up the rest. Not desperate, have about 250gb free, but if it's unlikely to come down in price any time soon or is frequently out of stock or isn't likely to have its capacity increased any time soon, I may as well just get it.

Was going to just get a big mechanical disk but juggling space less often than I thought, right now. 

I don’t think the shortages are official…

15 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

How do stock shortages compare to the PS5 at the moment? Do you still need to be watching trackers like a hawk or are they staying available at some retailers for a while?

The Series X is apparently harder to get than the PS5 just now. The Series S is much easier to get a hold of.

After doing my research and thinking about I have ordered an xbox series s from argos, it will be here this evening. 

Like I said earlier in the thread I'm still using a 1080p Panasonic plasma TV which I am really happy with and have no intention of upgrading anytime soon. I know the games will be higher resolution and sometimes have better effects and Ray tracing on the Series X but I am happy with the compromise. 

Its funny 6 months ago I had no intention of switching from being mainly a PC gamer andplaying more on consoles. But I've spent the last month or so play Zelda games on the Switch and I hate the thought of playing games without suspend and resume now. 

I adore that feature, it is one of the best features ever added to gaming imo. It's just such a great quality of life improvement. Even though I have tons of unplayed pc games I'd far, far rather play games on a system I can suspend and resume. 

I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in to game pass. 

Yeah, suspend and resume really is a great feature and makes dipping in and out of a game when you've got chores at home much easier. Wouldn't be without it now that I've gotten used to it. 

Has anyone played Civilization VI on the Xbox recently (ideally on the Series X) and does it still have issues?

There were lots of reports of it crashing frequently on the Xbox but I can't see anyone complaining about it recently which makes me hope it's been fixed.

The Anthology collection (base game, both expansions and all the additional DLC) is down to £25.99 this week and I'm reeeallly tempted but not if it's going to crash on me all the time.

6 hours ago, Super Craig said:

The Series X is apparently harder to get than the PS5 just now. The Series S is much easier to get a hold of.

Not a specific reply to you, but FYI everyone.

Someone, in one of these threads, asked why aren't they sorting out these stock issues and I read a really interesting article the other day about TSMC (they fabricate stuff for everyone) who were saying their production delays will extend well into 2022. 

This is much bigger than consoles. 

Why is this Series S (The White one) so cheap then? Its £50 cheaper than a PS4...? Ive just bought one! always been a much bigger Playstation fan but fed up of there being no PS5, looking forward to getting into Xbox

10 hours ago, JamesTW said:

Why is this Series S (The White one) so cheap then? Its £50 cheaper than a PS4...? Ive just bought one! always been a much bigger Playstation fan but fed up of there being no PS5, looking forward to getting into Xbox

Because they're willing to lose money on it since the only ways of getting games onto it involve paying them and they're banking on it being a game pass machine for most.

Asphalt 9 appeared on the store for the X last night, installed it and what is this? The game feels like it's on fast-forward, races are over in seconds, the soundtrack never gets a chance to play more than the intro of a track, between races it's like being in a dystopian productivity/work application with menus and shit bugging you everywhere. The menus are so loud and aggressive, shoving you and pushing you around its various obnoxious payment options and currency packages. When your car runs out of fuel you either wait or pump money into the game to continue.

That would all be vaguely okay if the game was any good, but the little of the racing I played (the game is 20% racing 80% menus/loading) was terrible and whilst not being exactly on rails, I don't trust the game at all to give me a fair race when it's telling me "you won't win this race unless you upgrade" before I even start. It's not even rubberbanding, it just feels that whatever you do the game has decided the outcome for you already and wants you to spend money.

Horrible, cynical, obnoxious shit.

37 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Asphalt 9 appeared on the store for the X last night, installed it and what is this? The game feels like it's on fast-forward, races are over in seconds, the soundtrack never gets a chance to play more than the intro of a track, between races it's like being in a dystopian productivity/work application with menus and shit bugging you everywhere. The menus are so loud and aggressive, shoving you and pushing you around its various obnoxious payment options and currency packages. When your car runs out of fuel you either wait or pump money into the game to continue.

That would all be vaguely okay if the game was any good, but the little of the racing I played (the game is 20% racing 80% menus/loading) was terrible and whilst not being exactly on rails, I don't trust the game at all to give me a fair race when it's telling me "you won't win this race unless you upgrade" before I even start. It's not even rubberbanding, it just feels that whatever you do the game has decided the outcome for you already and wants you to spend money.

Horrible, cynical, obnoxious shit.

It's a f2p mobile game, it's been in Switch for a while. Not to be too defensive of it it's a nice little time waster kind of game but it is all about the grind and microtransactions. It's fine on Switch as the mobile format and lack of decent racers make it tolerable but there's no reason to play it on Xbox.

Yeah it would make a lot more sense on mobile, I can see it working as a toilet/commute timesink but on console, brrrr. No thanks.

Shame as the graphics are quite nice and it could be a bit Burnout-y if the races weren't so brief.

I'm genuinely shocked, in a very good way, at just how quiet the Series S is. Even if I make a point of focusing and trying to hear the console I can't, even with the TV muted.

Wonderful engineering considering how small and compact it is. I've been so impressed with it so far and to think it is cheaper than a Nintendo Switch that has been out for 4 years.

5 minutes ago, Mallet said:

I'm genuinely shocked, in a very good way, at just how quiet the Series S is. Even if I make a point of focusing and trying to hear the console I can't, even with the TV muted.

Wonderful engineering considering how small and compact it is. I've been so impressed with it so far and to think it is cheaper than a Nintendo Switch that has been out for 4 years.

Series X is the same, it makes such a difference doesn’t it, glad you’re enjoying it :)

On 01/09/2021 at 14:58, TehStu said:

Not a specific reply to you, but FYI everyone.

Someone, in one of these threads, asked why aren't they sorting out these stock issues and I read a really interesting article the other day about TSMC (they fabricate stuff for everyone) who were saying their production delays will extend well into 2022. 

This is much bigger than consoles. 

Consoles aren't even as badly hit as others. It's fucking the car industry worst of all as far as I know.

Asphalt 9 is a very good phone game, doesn't belong on proper consoles though

9 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

Genius.

This is already a bit out of date but accurate enough explainer of what has happened.

It's out of date because even Toyota, who have one of the most resilient supply chains in any industry, have had to drastically cut production now.

Caved and picked up an S. Will pick up an X too when I can and move the S to upstairs. Lovely and fast. As others have said it's silent... Although I notice the buttons on the pad are really noisy now 😂

Enjoying bouncing around a few things on Game Pass. I had a One X before but the lure of faster loading was too much and hadn't used it much in the last year or so.

16 hours ago, deerokus said:

Genius.

This is already a bit out of date but accurate enough explainer of what has happened.

It's out of date because even Toyota, who have one of the most resilient supply chains in any industry, have had to drastically cut production now.

What's the tl;dw for this?

14 hours ago, Mallet said:

Playing Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice has been my first experience of personally using ray tracing in a game, my god when it is done well it is beautiful isn't it?

If you enjoy that game I would strongly recommend A Plague Tale: Innocence, and it’s another looker that runs at 60fps following a recent S|X patch, lovely game. 

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

If you enjoy that game I would strongly recommend A Plague Tale: Innocence, and it’s another looker that runs at 60fps following a recent S|X patch, lovely game. 

I already have it downloaded, I'm not sure if I will go straight to that after Hellblade or maybe play something a little more upbeat and lighter in tone. 

3 minutes ago, Mallet said:

I already have it downloaded, I'm not sure if I will go straight to that after Hellblade or maybe play something a little more upbeat and lighter in tone. 

Lighter in tone, Psychonauts 2 fits the bill :)