IGNORED

Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

18 minutes ago, Hodge said:

As I said previously good hdr implementation if far more noticeable than resolution.

I agree with this, which is why I find it particularly frustrating that the HDR on the Series S is locked behind it detecting a 4k display.

I have a 1080p display that supports HDR - on paper a perfect fit for the Series S - but MS don't allow it to output in HDR on that display because it's not 4k.  Particularly weird because a PS4 or PS5 can output in HDR on that tv.

3 hours ago, Mallet said:

My issue is I still have a 42" 1080p plasma and I have no interest in upgrading any time soon, if I bought a Series X or PS 5 I would feel like I am only getting half of what I paid for. It would be like buying a 3080 then playing at 1080p.

I’ve had the opportunity to use my Series S on a Panny plasma for the past few days and it’s wonderful. Nearly as good as my 4K OLED. I think it’s a perfect match. You know that sense of satisfaction you get where an old and less fancy bit of kit just seems so brilliant? Loads of that. 

Like, if I could see this plasma (I think it’s 50”) and Series S next to my PS5 and OLED, I’d think anyone would be mad to spend £1500 on the latter if they already had the Plasma. 

I have a question about the Series consoles. 

I have seen comments in this thread about quick resume not working for all titles. Can you still suspend and resume any title like you would on the Switch even if the multi game quick resume doesn't work? 

Suspend and resume is the main reason I enjoy playing my consoles over my PC at the moment. It's such a good quality of life feature on the Switch. 

54 minutes ago, Mallet said:

I have a question about the Series consoles. 

I have seen comments in this thread about quick resume not working for all titles. Can you still suspend and resume any title like you would on the Switch even if the multi game quick resume doesn't work? 

Suspend and resume is the main reason I enjoy playing my consoles over my PC at the moment. It's such a good quality of life feature on the Switch. 

The normal suspend and resume will work. Pop out and pop back in. 

Quick resume is only for if you've run another game in between. 

2 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

This every time. I hate the X, I hate the way it looks, like an awkward edgelord toy, a goth teenager’s idea of sophistication.  It flatters to deceive, at the moment the X does nothing the S can’t do and isn’t even as powerful as the PS5.

On the other hand, I really fucking love the S, it’s aesthetically beautiful and does so much in such a little box. I always say to any of my RL friends who whine about not being able to get a PS5, just get an S for now, it really is the best and most accessible route into next gen video gamings.  

It runs One X version of One games. The S doesn't. Small thing, but it broke my S preorder.

ANYWAY if anyone bought AC Odyssey before Ubisoft were revealed to be sex pest central it's getting 60fps on Series and PS5

The X does raytracing in some games that the s doesn't (and with much better performance/image quality when it does).

It's not true to say it doesn't do anything the s doesn't. Both are great systems and the s is ridiculously good value, but, you know, facts.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

It runs One X version of One games. The S doesn't. Small thing, but it broke my S preorder.

ANYWAY if anyone bought AC Odyssey before Ubisoft were revealed to be sex pest central it's getting 60fps on Series and PS5

just when I thought I was out…

Oops, sorry. I thought there'd be something like a DF video out there, comparing various cross-platform games and showing something interesting. Maybe SDKs needing optimization or something. My mistake!

Yup, that's great news about AC Odyssey. I didn't get too far into it originally so this is a welcomed update.

23 minutes ago, Mortis said:

?

I see ultimate editions from all the publishers that put out 3 or 4 different versions of the game with more tat added on the more you pay but not much on the MS side to be truthful. 

Maybe it's cos I've not played any of their first party games for years and now I've playing a few at once its jumping out at me.  It's probably just part of their branding but it's weird to see it right inside games eg in the Gears 5 DLC the dudes have ULTIMATE ABILITIES instead of just Abilities, and there are ULTIMATE SKILLZ in Forhizon 4. Halo 5 probably has an Ultimate Chief.

8 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

That wouldn't be done in the main Xbox OS. I can see 3 storage devices on my Xbox, and I can move/copy official games between them, but you don't have to deal with drive letters, directories or anything like that.

41 minutes ago, Tonald Drump said:

BT Shop have got stock in of series x but only in a bundle with an extra controller

Seems to be gone now. I’ve been trying to get one for my son’s birthday for the last month or so and haven’t seen any even though there have been 2 or 3 PS5 drops in that time. I’m following all the stock checkers but it just seems quiet. Wonder if they’ve been hit by the same supply issues as everyone else?