Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

41 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Dual Shocks are wank and shouldn’t be used as a comparison. Having to buy rechargeables is shit. Nintendos pro pad gives you about 40 hours. Ms and Sony once again fuck their consumers. 

Except the rumble/ feedback on the Pro pad is nothing like the Xbox pad, let alone the PS5 pad. Rechargeable batteries are my preferred option due to having loads in the house anyway. 

15 minutes ago, Bobbi Champagne Jr said:

Except the rumble/ feedback on the Pro pad is nothing like the Xbox pad, let alone the PS5 pad. Rechargeable batteries are my preferred option due to having loads in the house anyway. 

That’s nice. Most other devices do not require removable rechargeable batteries. 

I wouldn't want to go back to having to charge the controller.

AA eneloops are a godsend and I've 6 of them lying around, 4 with full charge.

I really genuinely prefer it to having to charge the actual controller itself.

The Switch Pro controller is a good one but it holds noticeablely less charge now than when I first bought it which is annoying.

Dumb question: we moved house yesterday and I'm too fried to Google efficiently so is there any way to play anything on the Series X without an internet connection? Stuff I've bought says I need to be online. What do I need to do, if anything?

Edit: I think I've figured it out, it's because me and my OH have switched home xboxes.

8 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Is it not your home Xbox? If it’s not then you need to be online.

Thanks, yeah I'd just re-read the error message and actually paid attention to it.

I tell thee this much, you don't realise how much of modern gaming on next gen systems is reliant on a connection until you haven't got one. Even some of the games I do own on my home system seem unusable because if I haven't played them in a long, long time they say it's not finished installing.

Switch it is for the next week.

5 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Thanks, yeah I'd just re-read the error message and actually paid attention to it.

I tell thee this much, you don't realise how much of modern gaming on next gen systems is reliant on a connection until you haven't got one. Even some of the games I do own on my home system seem unusable because if I haven't played them in a long, long time they say it's not finished installing.

Switch it is for the next week.

If you can broadcast a personal wifi hotspot on your phone it's not gonna use a lot of internet to authenticate.

But yeah, I was without internet for last night and this morning.  Lucky I've got a switch and 260 Master System games really :P

Just now, Dudley said:

If you can broadcast a personal wifi hotspot on your phone it's not gonna use a lot of internet to authenticate.

But yeah, I was without internet for last night and this morning.  Lucky I've got a switch and 260 Master System games really :P

My other half tried this because she fancied playing The Ascent. 5.7gb update lol

This is kinda nifty

I've got the brightness of my TV set to compensate for the window opposite. At night it it's too bright, but it's too much faff to keep changing it. I suppose I should enable auto brightness, but they've been iffy on past TVs.

On 05/08/2021 at 14:03, Hodge said:

Series X in stock in Argos if anyone wants one

Is there any way of getting stock updates for the series X? My son wants one for his birthday but obv struggling to get in fast enough...

6 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Is there any way of getting stock updates for the series X? My son wants one for his birthday but obv struggling to get in fast enough...

HotStock app is your friend. I got mine via Xbox all-access from Smyths. Expensive but at least it’s interest free and you get 2 years of ultimate into the bargain. Scalpers don’t touch these ones. Series S might be easier to get hold of don’t underestimate it I kept mine after bagging the X because it’s such a slick piece of kit.

9 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

I found the stock informer site pretty good especially if you happen to be sat infront of a computed for work x hrs a day. 

2 hours ago, SaintAnselm said:

The Stock checker Discord server is well worth joining too, I have managed to bag myself a Series X which I am picking up in a couple of hours from Argos.

Happy Series X Saturday to you :)!

I know it’s pretty unlikely but if you’re not aware of the awesomeness of Game Pass and the insanely good (best deal in gaming I can EVER remember, and I’m well old!) get 3 years of Game Pass Ultimate for as little as £75, then be sure to check out the post / guide on the first page of the Game Pass thread. Only mentioned as it’d be a genuine shame if you were to miss out on it. 

9 hours ago, TehStu said:

This is kinda nifty

I've got the brightness of my TV set to compensate for the window opposite. At night it it's too bright, but it's too much faff to keep changing it. I suppose I should enable auto brightness, but they've been iffy on past TVs.

Sony should take note because I don't want a light on when in standby mode.

2 hours ago, SaintAnselm said:

The Stock checker Discord server is well worth joining too, I have managed to bag myself a Series X which I am picking up in a couple of hours from Argos.

Make sure you add me as a friend. It's CassidyUK. Anyone with such good taste in comics must be on my friends list. 

19 minutes ago, denisb said:

Has anyone returned a console to Microsoft for warranty ? How long does it take and do they swap the unit out ?

Yeah I had to send back an early One X. Took about 2 weeks turnaround and I got back a different console, which to be fair looked brand new. Though I have seen people complain on Reddit that they received back consoles that looked a bit shoddy, but managed to get MS to swap them again,which admittedly isn't ideal. 

edit: @denisbactually I might be a bit wary of sending stuff back to them at the moment going by how people who ordered the custom controllers had them stuck in France for a fair while. Could be coming via a different route of course, but something to bear in mind. 

A tip that may come in handy if this ever affects anyone else.

My previously near silent Series X developed a not able clicking/whirring from the fan. White looking around for explanations saw a comment in. YouTube video saying that they fixed similar by switching off the Xbox, wait for the fan to stop spinning and then pressing down around the centre of the fan with some firm (but not too hard) pressure with a thin object (I used a cotton bud).

The comment said this helps restore the ball bearings to their original position, don't know if that's true but seems to have sorted itches issue for me.

Weird controller issue here, just checking if anyone else has had it before I file a return.

controller randomly wouldn’t connect yesterday. It has a slow double pulse on the light every 10 seconds or so.

It won’t connect to the console wirelessly at all.

It will connect via USB, updated the firmware, didn’t help.

Reset the machine, didn’t help.

New pad time or is it solvable?

2 hours ago, T Pot said:

Weird controller issue here, just checking if anyone else has had it before I file a return.

controller randomly wouldn’t connect yesterday. It has a slow double pulse on the light every 10 seconds or so.

It won’t connect to the console wirelessly at all.

It will connect via USB, updated the firmware, didn’t help.

Reset the machine, didn’t help.

New pad time or is it solvable?

If full reset don't work, maybe try connecting to your phone/tablet and then the Xbox again?