Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

I just picked up Dark Souls III (ultimate), Metro Exodus, and Mad Max for £30 - can't be bad.

Shame it doesn't appear to have registered that spend for the 'Ultimate Game Sale' punchcard though....off to the support ticket desk!

Nothing really screaming at me in this sale, but does anyone want me to get that PGA game today so it ends up in Game Pass next month? 

and spending £3.03 for Epic Mickey 2 (360), but I'm only buying that coz I worked on it and can't be arsed to find the disc in the attic.

Toy Story 3 (360) is less than a fiver too. I've had that on my list for a while. It's a proto-Disney Infinity sandbox, isn't it?

17 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

Nothing really screaming at me in this sale, but does anyone want me to get that PGA game today so it ends up in Game Pass next month? 

Yes please 😆

Im tempted to pick up all the konami collections but then i remember i have basically every retro game ever up to 32 bit on my RG351V

9 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

The GOTY poll closed a few weeks after the game was released. I mean I missed the deadline. Plus, I'm not going to vote for something I'm still playing or have only very recently played. I need time to think these things through. Basically the GOTY poll last year is not a good measure of LAD's greatness. 

That’s a lot of preconception about how easily other people can make judgements. But then I’m doing the same. :P 

In all seriousness, there’s a lot to unpack with LaD’s story - the set up and premise is nothing new and it has the same OTT daftness of other games in the series, but even from a first impression the cast is likeable and the chatter between them is decent. And following the adventure of a bunch of middle aged misfits is immediately more interesting to me than a group of pretty young heroes that you’d get in various other JRPGs. It’s a very “conventional” story rather than being a Zero Escape-level meta mindfuck, so it definitely doesn’t break ground for the medium or anything, but there is enough of a narrative pull that I don’t think the gameplay alone could carry LaD for however long people had played it. 

Also, I include general incidental flavour and character building moments as “writing”, and you’re running around the city with party members and ending up in so many impromptu conversations and substories that it manages to cement a first impression pretty quickly. And I was seeing narrative problems as easily as I acknowledged the strengths - some of the characterisation can be kind of iffy and you wish that every character was treated equally in terms of the care and attention spent writing them - so those early impressions (mine at least, but I saw others making similar points) weren’t simply gushing praise.

I tend to just delete stuff I haven’t played in a while or when I’ve finished them, and still have stuff on there permanently, like Halo. I never feel like it’s not enough space, although I will get more storage at some point, but in the meantime stock rotation is key, and I’ll sometimes check stuff out on Xcloud before deciding whether to download it. 

A hint regarding MCC - you can uninstall individual games from the options menu. It’s a beast, and you do need to download the whole thing first, but if you’re struggling for space I’d start there. 

I can only imagine how many petabytes of bandwidth in downloaded-then-immediately-deleted Halo games Microsoft’s data centres have had to serve up needlessly thanks to the way their own game is designed. 

41 minutes ago, K said:

The only niggles so far are Forza Horizon 4 not liking Quick Resume sometimes, realising that a lot of Xbox One Game Pass games look a bit low-res because they’re stuck at 900p, and running out of hard drive space. Once I’d installed Halo:MCC, FH4, Destiny 2, Titanfall 2, The Division, and a few other things, I’d nearly run out of space. It feels a bit limiting to have access to all these games, and only being able to install a few (and it taking hours to install some of them). Once Xcloud gets off the ground, Game Pass is going to be much more valuable. 

Just plug in any old external drive you have lying around and shuffle things between them, so you don’t have to re-download anything. I’ve set my external as the default as it’s much less likely to be full, so no more setting off a download from the app and coming home to find it never even started. Copying a game to the internal takes a matter of minutes.

I just bought Dark Souls 1 and 3 to give me the complete trilogy.  Have them all on PS4/5. And have 1 on 360, PS3 & switch so no need whatsoever except…

1) It means I can play them upstairs on the S (&seamlessly downstairs on the x). 

2) My Xbox can play games from 3 generations ago. These are my favourite games of all time, and this to me seems the most likely way I can play them in twenty years. 

On 23/07/2021 at 12:06, AK Bell said:

and spending £3.03 for Epic Mickey 2 (360), but I'm only buying that coz I worked on it and can't be arsed to find the disc in the attic.

Toy Story 3 (360) is less than a fiver too. I've had that on my list for a while. It's a proto-Disney Infinity sandbox, isn't it?

Yep to Toy Story. The main game is fun enough in a basic licenced way but the sandbox mode is really excellent. Kids have gone back to it regularly since it came out and have just restarted on my One X now the holidays have begun. 

2 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

I just bought Dark Souls 1 and 3 to give me the complete trilogy.

I've never played a Dark Souls game. Hopefully now you've bought the whole trilogy, they'll all be on Game Pass next month!

6 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

I thought I was imagining that. Utter buggers. 

I've noticed it a couple of times but this is the first time I've been 100% certain. They also jacked up the Lego DC Villains by 2.50 in the Warner Bros sale.

7 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Anyone got any good recommendations for media remotes that work on the Series X - why is the official one so expensive?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08FCVG5DX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_07HGJR4ZMYH2B480ZXS9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This is a licensed PDP remote. I pre-ordered it before it came out but they cancelled it as it kept getting delayed. Just ordered one for myself.

31 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Ta @moosegrinder - lots of places online seem to say this one (the 'Talon') - what's the difference, apart from obviously more buttons, both from the same folks...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Talon-Media-Remote-Update-Xbox/dp/B07VFCJ4KK/

Looks that way. My OH just uses it to navigate Netflix and the like, so I'll stick with that one.

The xbox app on mobile has a remote control in it still. If you want to save £20-ish. 

What I'd like with a remote, I'd like to keep the headphones going longer when watching a film when plugged into a controller. But the controller dies at half an hour. I don't really fancy buying expensive wireless headphones just for this. 

1 minute ago, AK Bell said:

The xbox app on mobile has a remote control in it still. If you want to save £20-ish. 

Handy to know, but it's more for when the kids want to watch some god-awful Barbie DVD and I'm not around....

2 hours ago, Robsk1 said:

Does anyone know when Disco Elysium is getting released? All I can find is 'Summer'.

I didn’t even know it had been announced (for Xbox).

1 hour ago, AK Bell said:

What I'd like with a remote, I'd like to keep the headphones going longer when watching a film when plugged into a controller. But the controller dies at half an hour. I don't really fancy buying expensive wireless headphones just for this. 

You could just get a cable extender instead.