Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

19 hours ago, TehStu said:

Is the X or S capable of the checkerboard 4k thing, or does the Xbox tend to stick to dynamic resolution (or VRR I guess, if you're so equipped) instead?

AMD supposedly have their own superior solution (FidelityFX Super Resolution) in the works.. which should work on both consoles..

44 minutes ago, MDY said:

AMD supposedly have their own superior solution (FidelityFX Super Resolution) in the works.. which should work on both consoles..

It‘a really not the same thing, unfortunately. It runs on the regular GPU cores (it’ll even run on an nVidia card) so you’re sacrificing some power to use it, and visually it just doesn’t really compare to DLSS just now. I’m sceptical it’ll ever be able to compete with machine learning options.

2 hours ago, K said:

If the streaming quality is good enough, that could be quite a liminal moment for Xcloud. If Flight Simulator on an Xbox One is comparable to playing it on an Series X or S, I would start to wonder what the benefit is of breaking your back trying to grab a Series X before a scalper does, and why someone would pay £450 for the privilege. 

Flight Simulator is an interesting example - isn't it making heavy use of streaming anyway? Doesn't sound like a huge jump between streaming gigabytes of textures, and just streaming the whole thing.

There's a small amount of input lag which is noticeable in faster games. Can't really avoid that. Also streaming quality is going to be affected hugely by both your broadband speed, and physical setup. 

I was playing Wreckfest on my phone in the garden with streaming the other week and it was plenty playable, but every now and again the quality would drop. That was just the connection I was using though. 

28 minutes ago, T Pot said:

There's a small amount of input lag which is noticeable in faster games. Can't really avoid that. Also streaming quality is going to be affected hugely by both your broadband speed, and physical setup. 

I was playing Wreckfest on my phone in the garden with streaming the other week and it was plenty playable, but every now and again the quality would drop. That was just the connection I was using though. 

Well, yeah. It's not going to be perfect for everyone. But most people in cities with decent internet should be able to do it. Stadia seems to do it pretty seamlessly - Destiny 2 is pretty fast paced, and there aren't any noticeable lag issues there.

9 minutes ago, K said:

Well, yeah. It's not going to be perfect for everyone. But most people in cities with decent internet should be able to do it. Stadia seems to do it pretty seamlessly - Destiny 2 is pretty fast paced, and there aren't any noticeable lag issues there.

Oh yeah it's more than playable for most games. I jump onto it on my PC every now and again.

Even if the streaming version is a bit sub-optimal it's still a much better scenario than games for the X/S being dragged down because they chained an Xbone shaped concrete block to their ankles.

32 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Even if the streaming version is a bit sub-optimal it's still a much better scenario than games for the X/S being dragged down because they chained an Xbone shaped concrete block to their ankles.

and if it means a near-series x-perience without the series x price for existing bonex owners, such as myself, that’s a win.

5 hours ago, Harsin said:

Sounds like they've found a good workaround to technically keep their foolish everything will run on Xbone promise.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-06-16-microsoft-says-it-will-use-cloud-streaming-to-bring-2022-exclusives-to-xbox-one

Noticed this and fully expected this is where MS would go. Makes perfect sense. People can then upgrade as/when they see fit. Great idea. Keeps people playing and more importantly subscribing. :)

It a nice solution to keeping the old boxes going and keeping interest in the brand.

Yeah that's just smart, they've always said they don't care which device if you're playing xbox games (and thus paying for GamePass) so it's just sensible to use the 50 million devices that already exist to do that.

It's not like they saw hardware money for the PCs and Android phones streaming XCloud.

It's better than Nintendo's bright idea of charging you full price on a portable device for games that need good internet and which they can turn off anytime.

Great news. I've got an Xbox One S and if they can get their streaming tech running as good as Stadia then it saves me buying a Series X in the near future.

Regarding the latency of XCloud. Apparently a lot of the latency issues with 3D games is due to the lack of overhead in producing the video signal due to the older tech of the Xbox One servers. With the upgrade to Series X hardware there is a massive overhead to allow for the conversion to video which will reduce the problem significantly. This is also the reason why 2D style games work so much better on the current older server blades.

In other Series X/S news.

16 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Regarding the latency of XCloud. Apparently a lot of the latency issues with 3D games is due to the lack of overhead in producing the video signal due to the older tech of the Xbox One servers. With the upgrade to Series X hardware there is a massive overhead to allow for the conversion to video which will reduce the problem significantly. This is also the reason why 2D style games work so much better on the current older server blades.

In other Series X/S news.

Is this the version to pick up?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Metro-Exodus-Spartan-Survival-Guide/dp/B07MQG29PC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=9N0QCHDUVPU4&dchild=1&keywords=metro+exodus+xbox+one&qid=1623923915&sprefix=metro+exodus%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-1

I was under the impression that they were making a profit on each XB1 unit that they sold. For the comment above however it wouldn't surprise me if they have "never made a profit" due to offsetting it against R&D and other costs for tax reporting reasons. 

The Xbox Design Lab, for custom controllers, has returned.

It doesn't seem to have as many options as before – there aren't any metallic paints, for instance – but if you want a more distinctive looking Series controller this is a lot easier than painting one yourself.

2 hours ago, TehStu said:

I've just discovered, by way of Reddit, that on the bottom of the XSX is "Hello from Seattle" stamped into the case. It's not printed, so it's hard to read.

Should say “Hello from this Chinese sweatshop”. 

Just now, neoELITE said:

Is it worth getting an S if I have an Xbox One?

do you have a 4K tv?

do you have many games on disc?

do you have gamepass?

OG Xbone to series S is all sorts of improvements, but I have a boneX, so I’m waiting and getting a series X later.

it’s been said that for us, forumites  on a gaming tip, the S doesn’t make as much sense.