Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

Possibly a very stupid question, but there we go.

So, I have a disc version of a game installed on the Series X. If I buy a digital version of the thing, does it get treated as a whole new 'thing' and try to install it again, or will it just see the installed parts of the disc version and just adapt to fill in whatever gaps it needs to, to work okay? 

Thank you, it does indeed work. The thought of redownloading 100gb of data would be a right pain in the preverbials.

Goes off to download something else because he's got a new toy and wants to check it all out...

The odd thing with series X is if you have a disc in the drive and arnt playing that game, the drive continues to be noisy. I wish you could disable it without having to remove the disc. 

Also yakuza like a dragon is amazing. Can't believe what a difference a change in battle system makes. 

1 minute ago, carlospie said:

The odd thing with series X is if you have a disc in the drive and arnt playing that game, the drive continues to be noisy. I wish you could disable it without having to remove the disc. 

Don't use discs, problem solved :)

I say that as a crazy lazy person who has rebought all his favourite 360 games digitally even though I still have the discs sitting right here. (I bought them all during sales though, I'm not *that* crazy)

I don't have many discs but occasionally the kids play something (e.g., Naruto) and leave it in there. The XB1 spins down the drive when not in use though, so that's weird the XSX doesn't do similar. 

My Series X is whisper silent unless playing a UHD movie. 

Goddamn that drive is then loud.

Not even a peep with a disc based game tbh. Though I don't think I've tried an Xbox one disc in there. Only series X discs. 

16 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Also yakuza like a dragon is amazing. Can't believe what a difference a change in battle system makes. 

Yeah, it's what I noticed really - it was my own stupid fault. I saw a game cheap on disc and I really should have known better. It was the first physical game I've bought in years. 

And now, after buying it again on digital it's gone from cheap to well over full price ;) 

1 minute ago, metallicfrodo said:

It’s just an engine rendering technique isn’t it, so there is no reason it can’t, some boneX games used it.

Ah I see, I figured the PS4 Pro had some hardware thing doing it.

Awesome.

Just turned on my Xbox SX to have a game of CoD but Press A to start wasn't working so I did the 10 second turn off button press and now it won't boot past the Xbox logo. Going to try an offline update from a flash drive but the only flash drive I have big enough is a 16GB which my mac won't now see for some reason and won't open on a Surface.

Going to try a 2TB HDD but not sure it'll work. Seem to be having probs all over the place lately.😬

Yeah, it's fucked.

Even better, going through the online repair service kept failing at the last stage multiple times. So I tried again choosing to pay the expedited delivery and got to filling in payment details before failing again. But..... the service order is now pending and I've not received my printed label!

What a cluster fuck.

Got the label (as I was on a call complaining to MS :doh:).

What's all this attach three copies of invoice? Anyone ever done this? Can I just put them in an envelope and stick it to the box?

My controller just developed a drift upwards. I can still play my current game with it, but it'll be useless for anything that requires precision or stealth.

Any tips on fixing drift? I'm loath to shell out for a new controller...

37 minutes ago, NickC said:

My controller just developed a drift upwards. I can still play my current game with it, but it'll be useless for anything that requires precision or stealth.

Any tips on fixing drift? I'm loath to shell out for a new controller...

https://stealthoptional.com/how-to/how-to-fix-stick-drift-on-xbox-one-what-should-you-do-when-analogue-drift-aka-controller-drift-kicks-in/

What's the deal with some FPS boost games being off by default? 

I thought I'd heard that Fallout 76 was now running great on the Series X so I downloaded it to check it out (stopped playing it on the One S due to poor performance) and was immediately hit by a big letdown, the thing barely ran 30 fps. I ended up deleting it without investigating but found out soon afterwards that it does indeed support 60 fps via boost, but it's off by default. 

Looking at the list of FPS boost games on Major Nelson it seems quite a few boost enhanced games have it turned off by default but I haven't figured out why as it's a mix of both first party games (Gears 4) and third party games as well as games from all previous gens. 

Is there a setting to force it to be on for all compatible games?

5 minutes ago, Rayn said:

What's the deal with some FPS boost games being off by default? 

I thought I'd heard that Fallout 76 was now running great on the Series X so I downloaded it to check it out (stopped playing it on the One S due to poor performance) and was immediately hit by a big letdown, the thing barely ran 30 fps. I ended up deleting it without investigating but found out soon afterwards that it does indeed support 60 fps via boost, but it's off by default. 

Looking at the list of FPS boost games on Major Nelson it seems quite a few boost enhanced games have it turned off by default but I haven't figured out why as it's a mix of both first party games (Gears 4) and third party games as well as games from all previous gens. 

Is there a setting to force it to be on for all compatible games?

If the game runs exactly the same  in terms of everything but framerate with FPS boost on or off then it's on by default. Some games lower the resolution, giving you the choice of framerate or resolution. There may be other things that get adjusted but that is my understanding. 

It's off by default in cases where is makes compromises to achieve it - so getting to 60fps may mean a lower res etc - it's then considered an option if you want to enable it as you want to prioritise fps over quality. It's on by default when it's not making sacrifices in other areas - so it's a no-fuss win.

Here's the official line (including a table showing if it's on or off for each game): https://majornelson.com/fpsboost/

In some instances, because there are higher graphics requirements to enable FPS Boost technology, we’ve had to reduce a game’s resolution to ensure it both runs smoothly and plays great. In those select cases, FPS Boost is not automatically enabled for Xbox Series X gamers, but can easily be turned on under the Compatibility Options in the Manage game and add-ons setting. To experience FPS Boost and to be able to toggle the feature on and off, make sure your console has taken the latest update and you’ve rebooted your console.

I noticed yesterday, when I went to turn it on, that my series x was rather warm. It’s in standby mode but hasn’t been used in weeks and hasn’t been downloading anything (standby downloads never seem to work for some reason).

3 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Sounds like they've found a good workaround to technically keep their foolish everything will run on Xbone promise.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-06-16-microsoft-says-it-will-use-cloud-streaming-to-bring-2022-exclusives-to-xbox-one

Seems like a much smarter way to do that than try to cram them all into the One.

3 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Sounds like they've found a good workaround to technically keep their foolish everything will run on Xbone promise.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-06-16-microsoft-says-it-will-use-cloud-streaming-to-bring-2022-exclusives-to-xbox-one

Good. That's what a lot of us expected/predicted but it's good to see that they're taking the practical route

17 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Called it in July last year:

On 23/07/2020 at 17:47, T Pot said:

I'm seeing a lot of these that are only saying Series X / PC as their platforms. A handful sat Xbox One too. 

So I wonder if Microsoft have dropped the "all 1st party games are forward compatible" chat, or if its the case of wording and they will be playable via xcloud on the One. 

It makes sense if you think about it. Microsoft wants you playing their games on as many platforms as possible. So if you don't have dedicated hardware to do it, then there will be the Streaming app or website that you can run the games from on other/old consoles, PC, TV, Phones, Tablets, Smart Fridges.

If the streaming quality is good enough, that could be quite a liminal moment for Xcloud. If Flight Simulator on an Xbox One is comparable to playing it on an Series X or S, I would start to wonder what the benefit is of breaking your back trying to grab a Series X before a scalper does, and why someone would pay £450 for the privilege. 

Flight Simulator is an interesting example - isn't it making heavy use of streaming anyway? Doesn't sound like a huge jump between streaming gigabytes of textures, and just streaming the whole thing.