djbhammer

21 hours ago, SeanR said:

I thought streaming games was bad?

onlive

stadia

psNow

etc…

20 hours ago, TehStu said:

No Sean, it works perfectly well for some games, if done correctly. Surely well enough to figure out if you like a game before a 100gb download.

Exactly. I don't like streaming, I'm noticeably worse at any game using it.

But it would absolutely be better to be able to "EA Play" style play the first x hours of something streaming as a demo than a solid day downloading it to hate it.

I have never played a Flight Sim game before. Are they games? Is there a win state? Are there challenges (“do a barrel roll!”)? That kind of thing? 

18 hours ago, Mortis said:

the vast majority of people who would play it have more than likely already been playing it for about a year on PC. 

In an world where no one can buy a gpu? Nah. 

18 minutes ago, Popo said:

I have never played a Flight Sim game before. Are they games? Is there a win state? Are there challenges (“do a barrel roll!”)? That kind of thing? 

The clue is in the title I believe.

A very dry experience like most simulators. Some folk prefer that though.

It is somewhat more gameified than older versions of Flight Sim (i.e. it's got training modes, plenty of goals/achievements to aim for, rather than the entirely freeform approach of, say, Flight Sim 98), but it's still largely a self-directed experience.

19 hours ago, Mortis said:

It’s also not the kind of game that will sell many xbox’s as the vast majority of people who would play it have more than likely already been playing it for about a year on PC. 

It looks fantastic and is on gamepass. Even if plenty of people downloaded it and bounce off it, I think it'll open up the sim scene further on console.  It's not as if cars and trains aren't there already.

18 hours ago, sandman said:

Quick resume on Sniper Elite 4 simply doesn’t work. You can’t move when it loads and you have to quit and start again!

It's not as bad as Assassin's Creed Valhalla, which still has the bug that means Quick Resume often stops the game from saving, or causes it to overwrite your most recent saves with something ancient it's dredged off the Ubisoft servers. The game's been out six months now and they still haven't fixed this, it's an absolute dumpster fire unless you remember to manually quit the game each time you finish playing.

18 hours ago, sandman said:

Quick resume on Sniper Elite 4 simply doesn’t work. You can’t move when it loads and you have to quit and start again!

It's working for me - weird.

Just traded my bedroom One S in for a Series S at game. Such a dinky little thing. Have kept hold of my One X for under my living room TV as I have a ton of discs, stuff like the Horizon's that can't be purchased on the digital store. Nearly convinced myself to look into replacing that with a Series X but sense prevailed.

Now to try some old games with Series enhancements.

20 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Same thing with Hellblade. 

I do wonder if there is anything to do with what other games you are playing. I played through all of Hellblade on the series X and it never once failed to quick resume perfectly every time.

It's weird that people seem to be having issues with certain games that others don't, and then some seem to just fail for everyone. The only things that make sense to me are issues with rights checking, online connection, or the game that is currently 'live' not releasing it's resources properly.

I started F1 2020 which does support Quick Resume but it has also wiped the majority of my other games I had in QR. I can only assume that F1 requires more memory than most games for QR?

1 hour ago, amc said:

Just traded my bedroom One S in for a Series S at game. Such a dinky little thing. Have kept hold of my One X for under my living room TV as I have a ton of discs, stuff like the Horizon's that can't be purchased on the digital store. Nearly convinced myself to look into replacing that with a Series X but sense prevailed.

Now to try some old games with Series enhancements.

I give it 24 hours before the speed benefits of the ssd sway you.

After seeing Horizon 5 last night I realised I’m going to need one of these by November. Series S is freely available here in Denmark and the fact I could have one tomorrow is really tempting but I should wait for the Series X to be available really, shouldn’t I? I’m pretty sure I’d end up resenting the S in a “here’s what you could have had” way when everyone is playing Horizon at 4K/60... :hmm:

Just now, Bojangle said:

After seeing Horizon 5 last night I realised I’m going to need one of these by November. Series S is freely available here in Denmark and the fact I could have one tomorrow is really tempting but I should wait for the Series X to be available really, shouldn’t I? I’m pretty sure I’d end up resenting the S in a “here’s what you could have had” way when everyone is playing Horizon at 4K/60... :hmm:

If you can afford it, then yes wait for a Series X

Oh, I have Game Pass Ultimate locked in for years. I'm happy to hold on to the One X in the living room purely for the disc games I own and will enjoy the myriad of older game enhancements both the One X and bedroom Series S bring. They both do different jobs in that regard right? Differing results for the same games, higher frame rates on the S and higher resolution on the One X, seems to be the case with certain games anyway.

I've just played Black on the Series S and it's pretty insane what the machine can bring to older titles.

A Series X would be a pretty superfluous upgrade to my One X in the living room though, I have a 2tB Nvme Series X beating PC on the living room TV and day and date release parity on Game Pass going forward. Glad I stuck with just a Series S for now.

I'd enjoy the QoL stuff a Series X would bring to the main TV but I'll have enough fun in the bedroom with Series S. Ooer!

On 13/06/2021 at 14:50, Popo said:

There’s this thing called achievements 

I'm fine with Flight Sim not having a 'game' to it and particularly want to just explore. Kinda like I just stopped playing any race in FH4 and just drove around because it was a lot more relaxing. I am hopeful that Flight Sim is not so dense and technical if someone wants to just explore the world chill out, and swoop and soar around a bit?

I hope so. The last time I played in-depth (admittedly, Flight Sim 98) you could make it as complicated or as simple as you wanted. Like, pick a plane, runway, jam open the throttle and enjoy. I did love that it came with a manual that could leave a dent in the floor if you dropped it, if you really wanted to get into the weeds.

Hoping the new one comes with silly mini games too, like crop dusting.

Wow. The Series S is one snappy little bugger. Fucking awesome fun getting a new machine, especially one that has a ton of software on tap. Currently exploring older stuff that's enhanced. 

Really is a cracking little console compared to my slothenly One S. Controller feels good too, the sticks feel similar to my Elite 2 so I'm guessing they've tightened them up a little. Much preferred. 

If the S had a disc drive that would be all I need (only got a 720p telly and can’t see that getting upgraded for a few years), but it would need to be replacing my Xbox One as the primary disc-based movie playing device, so I’ve got to hold our form an X!

I would absolutely buy a new TV before even thinking about the series x. Even last gen consoles will look much better on a less ancient set. Doesn't have to be crazy expensive, the lidl by me has a 4k one for less than 400. Won't be great but better than 720p.