Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

As much as I'm a streaming sceptic, demos are exactly what it should be used for.

I'll miss most of these because they'll be 100gb each and I wouldn't physically be able to download them all even if I had the console space.

Streaming? Perfect.

15 hours ago, Jammy said:

I don’t understand the mechanics of gamepass at all - is what’s on gamepass not the full game in some cases ? And if they take a game off gamepass that you've downloaded, does it disappear off your drive. I realise these are clueless dad questions…

They are the full games, but don't include any DLC usually at all. 

If the game is removed from GP, it stay's on your drive, you just can't access it. 

You can then just buy the game and get access as normal and while it's on Gamepass you can buy it for a discount.

It seems that the average time that a game is on Gamepass is around a year or so. I assume it depends on the deal between Microsoft and the publisher. 

Xbox published games are meant to stay on the service forever is my understanding. 

17 hours ago, mikeyl said:

Yeah, wanna see some leftfield acquisitions or companies struggling or not doing much. What’s the point of wanting them to buy something like Capcom when they are already productive, outputting and loaded. Look how Rare’s output dropped off a cliff.

Someone buy Konami’s IP and give us more Solid Snake adventures!

Yeah, it'd be great for my wallet if they bought Capcom and put all their stuff on Gamepass but it wouldn't mean that we'd all get better games as a result of that. Buying the likes of Obsidian and hopefully giving them the resources to fulfil their potential is what I'd like to see more of. Buying Bethesda was a big statement from MS but I don't think it'd be a good thing for them to go and buy another publisher. Unless its Sega and we get a Vectorman game from The Coalition. 

Looking at the list of rumoured acquisition targets (IO Interactive which I am most sceptical about, Avalanche, Crytek and Asobo) it sure does seem like they want to cater to more mature gamers with Gamepass. 

6 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It seems that the average time that a game is on Gamepass is around a year or so. I assume it depends on the deal between Microsoft and the publisher. 

Xbox published games are meant to stay on the service forever is my understanding. 

Except where licencing prevents that, eg - Forza. (Although no Forza has yet left, but you'd expect FM5-7 and FH2-3 to be there since they're BC and they are not)

My Series X has started losing connectivity with both of my controllers - I can see them revert to searching for the console, where the white X button flashes, and the console itself reports no controller is connected; then, after a few seconds, it connects again. 

I thought it might be environmental, but the PS5 is fine. Hoping that if I just ignore the problem it will go away. 

8 minutes ago, Popo said:

My Series X has started losing connectivity with both of my controllers - I can see them revert to searching for the console, where the white X button flashes, and the console itself reports no controller is connected; then, after a few seconds, it connects again. 

I thought it might be environmental, but the PS5 is fine. Hoping that if I just ignore the problem it will go away. 

It happens. Mine completely desynced both of them for some reason, hard resetting tends to work. They know about it so presumably they'll work it out.

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

I thought streaming games was bad?

onlive

stadia

psNow

etc…

No Sean, it works perfectly well for some games, if done correctly. Surely well enough to figure out if you like a game before a 100gb download.

The PS5 has already got a couple of decent exclusive next generation games. So MS has to really show something this E3. Not for the distant future but for this year. Since MS saw the stupidity of completely torpedoing their first party studios at the beginning of the Xbone era they’ve been good at promising that exciting exclusives are in the works but no good at delivering.  They’ve nailed the hardware with the Series S/X now show me the games. 

Don’t go there - you’ll be accused of being a PS fanboy. After all Flight Sim is landing next week and that’s the most next gen looking game ever. 

11 minutes ago, Mortis said:

Don’t go there - you’ll be accused of being a PS fanboy. After all Flight Sim is landing next week and that’s the most next gen looking game ever. 

Is there an Xbox one (x) version?

Flight sim is impressive (at least on a very powerful PC) and certainly if the series x can get anywhere close to that it’ll be a showcase for graphics. 
 It’s also not the kind of game that will sell many xbox’s as the vast majority of people who would play it have more than likely already been playing it for about a year on PC. 

3 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

No The Medium was. This is the first AAA top tier game tho. 

I just checked the wiki page for the medium, because I confused it with that 1st person puzzle game, the name of which escapes me, and misread voice actress Kelly Burke as Kathy Burke… 

im living my best life

It's clearly not going to be a full 2 years, but I get the sense people think Microsoft were joking about their strategy for this gen. But I mean, look at all the foundational things they've been churning out outside of the big conference dumps.

I was fine going into this as spelled out and I don't see any reason to doubt it'll be a screw up.