Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

Can I ask I really stupid question - how do I ensure I'm getting Atmos to my headphones on the pad? I paid for the app, pretty sure I selected headphones and... it isn't really any different.

I know I have almost the cheapest headphones possible, waiting for v2 hardware of the official Xbox ones. But still, I was expecting something.

1 minute ago, TehStu said:

Can I ask I really stupid question - how do I ensure I'm getting Atmos to my headphones on the pad? I paid for the app, pretty sure I selected headphones and... it isn't really any different.

I know I have almost the cheapest headphones possible, waiting for v2 hardware of the official Xbox ones. But still, I was expecting something.

I think you'll be waiting a while for v2 of the headphones, they've only just released the current ones. What's wrong with the current ones anyway?

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

I think you'll be waiting a while for v2 of the headphones, they've only just released the current ones. What's wrong with the current ones anyway?

I can wait. I don't really want to go first on new hardware if I can avoid it. 

1 minute ago, TehStu said:

I can wait. I don't really want to go first on new hardware if I can avoid it. 

Not sure why, they're supposed to be really good. I'd definitely pick some up if I needed some, but I'm sure a few people on here already have them and will be able to let you know if they're worth getting.

7 minutes ago, JPL said:

What do you mean by the tab order? I'm pretty sure you can rearrange the order of the guide menu, if that's what you're referring to.

Not the order of the guide menu.

So I guess we don't have a "tab" button on the Xbox so I didn't mean the literal tab order, but the design of the navigation in general. There's no neat up/down and left/ right, the layout of actionable things on-screen is all over the place. This would be fine with a mouse, or haha a Kinect, but it doesn't lend itself to a control mechanism which largely gives digital up/down and left/right input (I'm mostly using the d-pad to get around). 

For example, open Game Pass app to get to the quests, which are inexplicably buried toward the bottom rather than something you can pin to the guide. Now this screen is largely up/down to get to the section you want, and then left/right to select things on it (good). So you select quests and now you're on a new screen. 3 tabs across the top in the center, and then a nav menu down the left, and then things to scroll through on the right. There's no neat navigation, hitting up and down can go from the top, centered nav to the "scroll through the stuff" on the right, which is NOT a direct up/down movement. So now you're hitting left to get to the left nav to make sure you're on game pass quests instead of the other stuff (achievements? I'm doing all of this via memory).

I think it's called the social screen and they need to change it. The navigation in the store, and the game pass app, is better. It should be a grid. Hitting up and down should not also cause the cursor/selection thing to move left/right.

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

Not sure why, they're supposed to be really good. I'd definitely pick some up if I needed some, but I'm sure a few people on here already have them and will be able to let you know if they're worth getting.

It's a general policy after having experience some v1 hardware woes over the years. Obviously, no avoiding it for a console launch. It is in no way a reflection of these headphones, I'm sure they're great.

Anyone know how to verify I'm definitely getting Atmos over my $9.99 Sony tat while plugged into the pad 3.5mm jack?

18 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Anyone know how to verify I'm definitely getting Atmos over my $9.99 Sony tat while plugged into the pad 3.5mm jack?

Make sure you've selected Dolby Atmos for Headphones as the output format in Settings, for a start. And load up the Dolby Access app at least once to enable it.

Then you need to play something that actually supports Atmos. One reliable way to check it's working is to load up Netflix or Disney+ - if you go into a movie or show that supports Atmos, it will show up when you click on the movie alongside 4K, HDR and whatever other options it supports. If you don't have Atmos it will just say 5.1.

Not many games explicitly support Atmos but even for those that don't, you'll get a decent virtual surround presentation. Also I find the various equaliser presets in the Dolby Access app make a huge difference. I think I settled on Game mode, Performance mode OFF, Equaliser set to Warm, but YMMV.

2 hours ago, TehStu said:

TBH, I don't think spatial audio makes much difference either. I think DTX has demo videos that you can watch and listen to, but I'm honestly not sure they're a great advert.

A friend of mine is buying a Series X and has the game library sharing thing going on with a friend.

How does he set up the Series X to keep the sharing? Log in as the person he's sharing with first, then himself? Will that do?

Just now, ilpostino said:

A friend of mine is buying a Series X and has the game library sharing thing going on with a friend.

How does he set up the Series X to keep the sharing? Log in as the person he's sharing with first, then himself? Will that do?

Just set it up as himself, then add the friend’s details, login as the friend, make it his home console, then log back in as himself.

Just now, JPL said:

Just set it up as himself, then add the friend’s details, login as the friend, make it his home console, then log back in as himself.

Nice one, thank you.

It's pretty obvious when you're getting atmos but it does need half-decent headphones to get the most out of it. 

Crackdown 3 is a very good showcase to try it out. I can pinpoint those orbs easily with headphone atmos on. 

6 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I tried playing Gears 5 and had no idea what was going on, I guess it assumes you’ve played the previous games. Is Hivebusters any more accessible for newcomers?

I tried it yesterday and found the menus a nightmare and then in the game itself also found it hard finding my way around. Then I gave up.

7 hours ago, TehStu said:

Not the order of the guide menu.

So I guess we don't have a "tab" button on the Xbox so I didn't mean the literal tab order, but the design of the navigation in general. There's no neat up/down and left/ right, the layout of actionable things on-screen is all over the place. This would be fine with a mouse, or haha a Kinect, but it doesn't lend itself to a control mechanism which largely gives digital up/down and left/right input (I'm mostly using the d-pad to get around). 

For example, open Game Pass app to get to the quests, which are inexplicably buried toward the bottom rather than something you can pin to the guide. Now this screen is largely up/down to get to the section you want, and then left/right to select things on it (good). So you select quests and now you're on a new screen. 3 tabs across the top in the center, and then a nav menu down the left, and then things to scroll through on the right. There's no neat navigation, hitting up and down can go from the top, centered nav to the "scroll through the stuff" on the right, which is NOT a direct up/down movement. So now you're hitting left to get to the left nav to make sure you're on game pass quests instead of the other stuff (achievements? I'm doing all of this via memory).

I think it's called the social screen and they need to change it. The navigation in the store, and the game pass app, is better. It should be a grid. Hitting up and down should not also cause the cursor/selection thing to move left/right.

The way they’ve hidden the game pass quests is crazy...there used to be a nice easy button in the rewards app that took you there. Now you have to hit the menu/x box button , scroll over to achievements and navigate through another menu before you get there.

I mean why?

7 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

The way they’ve hidden the game pass quests is crazy...there used to be a nice easy button in the rewards app that took you there. Now you have to hit the menu/x box button , scroll over to achievements and navigate through another menu before you get there.

I mean why?

Yeah it seems deliberately opaque but as you say, there is no reason for doing that. 

17 hours ago, TehStu said:

As has been suggested above go into settings->general->volume and audio setting. Make sure that you have the headphones plugged in and in the headset audio format dropdown on the right hand side of the screen you should have Dolby Atmos for Headphones selected.

F1C628ED-27FC-4FC6-A4A1-A18D41962FA0.jpeg

I have the new wireless xbox headset and I think it's brilliant personally. In general I found I get a really good sense of spatial audio with the that headset, although I've also used a cheaper headset plugged into the controller and they also sounded good when I tried them out with Foza Horizon 4 and I could certainly get a feel for where other cars were.

Gears 5 supports true atmos so is a good one to test. I ended up watching the entire end credits for Hivebusters just because the music sounded amazing, like you were actually sat in the middle of a big hall with the orchestra all around you. A real sense of instruments being near or far, and even some feeling above you, just lovely.

At Xbox, our mission is simple: bring the joy and community of gaming to everyone on the planet. To achieve that, we aspire to empower everyone to play the games you want, with the people you want, anywhere you want. 

Ahead of the first-ever Xbox and Bethesda Showcase on Sunday, when we will unveil our best and biggest games lineup of ever, Phil Spencer, Head of Xbox, and Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella discussed the importance of gaming to Microsoft and in the world. We also shared new updates on how Xbox Game Pass is changing the way we discover, connect, and play and how Xbox and all games from its 23 studios are coming to more screens.

“We believe that games, that interactive entertainment, aren’t really about hardware and software. It’s not about pixels. It’s about people. Games bring people together,” said Spencer. “Games build bridges and forge bonds, generating mutual empathy among people all over the world. Joy and community – that’s why we’re here.”

“Gaming is fundamentally aligned with our mission as a company,” said Nadella. “When  you talk about Xbox’s mission to bring the joy and community of gaming to everyone on the planet, which I absolutely  love, that is precisely aligned with Microsoft’s  mission, which is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.”

“As a company, Microsoft is all-in on gaming. Gaming is the most  dynamic  category in the entertainment industry. Three billion consumers look to gaming for entertainment, community, creation, as well as a real sense of  achievement, and our ambition is to empower each of them, wherever they play.”

“We believe that Microsoft can play a leading role in democratizing gaming and defining the future of interactive entertainment. There are really three key areas where we believe we have an incredible competitive advantage: First, our  leadership  in cloud computing. Second, the resources  we have  to build our subscription service, Xbox Game Pass. And third, our overall focus on empowering creators.”

Expanding on our quest to reach billions of players with Xbox, today we provided new updates on the success of Xbox Game Pass and what’s next for Xbox:

Xbox Game Pass is Changing the Way We Discover, Connect, and Play

Xbox Game Pass members play 30% more genres and play 40% more games. And more than 90% of members said they played a game that they would not have tried without Game Pass.

On average across the Game Pass library, partners see engagement go up by more than 8x when they enter Game Pass.

Whether it’s purchasing games inside or outside of what’s available in the library, or purchasing additional content for the games they like, members spend 50% more than non-members.

Xbox Game Pass has become a true discovery engine, a platform for connection and community, and is driving game sales. New insights we’re sharing today include:

Since we started our partnership with EA Play in Game Pass Ultimate, our players have been engaging with EA’s subscription service in a significant way. Compared to before the integration, EA Play has seen record usage on Microsoft platforms, driving hours played on these platforms up by more than 200%. As a result, EA’s incredible portfolio of games has reached and gained millions of new fans on the Xbox platform.

The new Square Enix game Outriders is in Game Pass and was also the #1 selling digital game on Xbox during its launch week and a top 10 selling digital game on Xbox in the month of April. Game Pass helped introduce millions of players to the game.

During launch week, MLB: The Show 21 was the biggest sports game of the past year on Xbox and the second biggest sports game of all time on Xbox. Game Pass added millions of new fans and grew Major League Baseball’s player base significantly. MLB: The Show 21 was also the #1 selling paid game on Xbox for the month of April. 

Xbox and Xbox Game Pass are Coming to More Screens

Xbox is working with global TV manufacturers to embed the Xbox experience directly into internet-connected televisions with no extra hardware required except a controller.

Xbox is exploring new subscription offerings for Xbox Game Pass so more players around the world can experience the most immersive and fun games across devices, geographies, and financial realities.

Xbox is working with telecommunications providers on new purchasing models like Xbox All Access, which allows consumers to buy both a console and Game Pass for a low monthly price, rather than spending money up front.

Xbox is building its own streaming devices for cloud gaming to reach gamers on any TV or monitor without the need for a console at all.

Cloud gaming through Xbox Game Pass Ultimate will launch in Australia, Brazil, Mexico, and Japan later this year.

In the next few weeks, cloud gaming on the browser will open to all Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members. With Edge, Chrome, and Safari support, players will be a click away from gaming on almost any device. 

We’re in the final stages of updating our Microsoft datacenters around the world with our latest generation of hardware, the Xbox Series X. This means gamers will see faster load times, improved frame rates, and experience Xbox Series X|S optimized games.

Later this year, we’ll add cloud gaming directly into the Xbox app on PC and integrate it into our console experience to light up scenarios like try before you download. 

An Incredible Pipeline of Games

With more than 23 studios worldwide creating games for Xbox, our goal is to release at least one new, first party game into Game Pass every quarter. Role playing games, shooters, strategy titles, adventure games, and more are all being built by our first party teams to ensure that there is a steady stream of compelling exclusive content to explore.

Our independent developer program ID@Xbox has earned developers over $2B dollars since the program’s inception, with over 2000 titles launched and many more on the way. This model is now being used for ID@Azure, allowing independent devs to build cloud-based experiences. These programs bring new voices from diverse backgrounds into the world of game development.

As Phil Spencer noted when he opened the day, the team knows that achieving its mission is not going to be easy, and it has a long way to go. But he believes that only Microsoft can bring to bear the global scale, the vast wellsprings of technical innovation, the financial resources and the deep, decades-long legacy in video games required to truly bring the joy and community of gaming to everyone.

Phil and the big boss on all things gaming:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/06/10/satya-nadella-and-phil-spencer-on-gaming-at-microsoft/

E34C3196-6C18-4DCC-A169-D7B3E76EBC83.gif

I don’t understand the mechanics of gamepass at all - is what’s on gamepass not the full game in some cases ? And if they take a game off gamepass that you've downloaded, does it disappear off your drive. I realise these are clueless dad questions…

51 minutes ago, djbhammer said:

“We believe that games, that interactive entertainment, aren’t really about hardware and software. It’s not about pixels. It’s about people. Games bring people together,” said Spencer. “Games build bridges and forge bonds, generating mutual empathy among people all over the world. Joy and community – that’s why we’re here.”

Naw Phil, its about good games. And you fucking know it. People suck and you know it cause i know you read resetera. 

8 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Oh boy:

Clearly it's going to be Sega, Capcom, Namco Bandai.....

They’re bringing back Ocean, US Gold and Mastertronic.

I will have my fourth Magic Knight game eventually....

I think it's already been confirmed by insiders that there will be some new studio acquisitions but not to expect anything in the AAA realm so temper expectations accordingly 

(Not to say they won't be great additions obviously, but before everyone starts throwing Remedy, CDPR and Sega around or something).

15 minutes ago, Jammy said:

I don’t understand the mechanics of gamepass at all - is what’s on gamepass not the full game in some cases ? And if they take a game off gamepass that you've downloaded, does it disappear off your drive. I realise these are clueless dad questions…

Just think of it like Netflix. If you have it downloaded and it goes off gamepass you just can't play it. 

Yeah, wanna see some leftfield acquisitions or companies struggling or not doing much. What’s the point of wanting them to buy something like Capcom when they are already productive, outputting and loaded. Look how Rare’s output dropped off a cliff.

Someone buy Konami’s IP and give us more Solid Snake adventures!

2 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Just think of it like Netflix. If you have it downloaded and it goes off gamepass you just can't play it. 

I would say think of it more like Amazon video, it's there but you have to pay for it now.

22 minutes ago, RaoulSilva said:

I would say think of it more like Amazon video, it's there but you have to pay for it now.

That's actually a great example. You can just buy stuff digitally, or you can subscribe and get Prime content probably forever and then a revolving door 3rd party stuff. And of course, still buy digitally for a reduced amount, which I think Prime also does.

@Jammy it's the full game.

Kojima Productions, From and Valve purely for the entertainment value. Also Phil put your money where your mouth is. I've been listening to this games for the gamers shite for 4 fucking years now. I've bought your 2 premium consoles and paid full price for Gamepass since you added Sea of Thieves and Crackdown 3. You better deliver this time or I'm gonna keep giving you my money or something.......

Phil does read here doesn't he ?