Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

Just now, deerokus said:

Thinking about it there probably are some Bluetooth headphones where the mic doesn't work in wired mode. Asshole design. 

My Sennheisers seem to have this issue. Can't get Mic chat to work at all, so I have to use the Britney headset and have tinny audio out of my monitor when playing games with friends.

1 minute ago, Sane said:

What's the concensus on buying a Series X if you have a 1080p tv? Worth it? Or is it effectively the same as a Series S?

series X so far has some games with extra effects, the BC versions are the improved One X versions etc. 
 I’d say if you can afford and manage to pick up a series X I’d go for it no matter the tv. 

3 minutes ago, Sane said:

What's the concensus on buying a Series X if you have a 1080p tv? Worth it? Or is it effectively the same as a Series S?

Worth it I'd say. I'd only buy a series s if you're a pretty casual gamer or your main system is PC or PS5. The compromises are worth paying the extra to avoid generally. 

Storage is so small on the s, and in some cases games run at 60 on the x instead of 30. Last gen games are often much better on the x. 

Depends on where you're coming from, if you have a One X the s is not a clear cut upgrade at all. 

1 hour ago, skondo said:

In stock at Game.

Scratch that. Since when did Game start charging £5.00 delivery?

I’ve just ordered the XBox headset from Currys.

20 minutes ago, Sane said:

Thanks, sounds like X is the way to go then.

Me and my other half don't have 4k TVs but both bought series Xs and have absolutely no regrets of buying them. It's so much more than a 4k box.

30 minutes ago, Sane said:

Suppose it depends how much you want to spend and how you game.

Both have the same CPUs but the X is a touch faster and the X is targeted at 4K. S has less storage, but if you just play a few games at a time it will be fine. 

In short S is great if you just want something to play GamePass content. X if you want some more space and a drive and you want more GPU grunt and 4K visuals.

Did toy with the idea of downgrading to an S a few times myself as I really don't play that much anymore and just need something that is quick, quiet and compact but well have the X and its paid for so not fussed about changing it. Had I had my decision again though might have saved myself a couple of hundred quid and gone with an S. My son got one and I set it up for him and I was really impressed. Didn't seem overly different on the games I tried on it or speed than the X to be honest. 

I have a 32" 1080 set for my X and don't miss 4K at all. Thought it would be a concern at first but doesn't make any difference to the pile of games I've played so far.

I'm mostly concerned with the quality of the graphical bells and whistles and framerate. If everything was exactly the same, only the resolution different I would go for an S. But it sounds like the X will look/run a bit better on my TV so in that case I will go for that. 

7 hours ago, Rayn said:

Any recommendations for an OK wireless headset for the Xbox Series X? This has possibly been answered a lot of times but I did a search and didn't find any discussion on it so don't shoot me if this has been done to death.

I'm just looking for something that's easy to set up and get going and preferrably has more than five hours of battery life. I'm used to the Playstation Gold Wireless for the PS4 and I've found that pretty much excellent, bar from a fairly weak battery life. I asked a friend but instantly regretted asking him as I'd forgotten he's a self proclaimed audiophile, now he goes on and on about some B&O model that cost £450, which is about 4x more than I'm willing to pay atm. 

Steelseries 7x

On 13/05/2021 at 18:57, SnoopZakaDaVe said:

Update on this, got an elite s2 back from Microsoft yesterday and guess what, one of the small back paddle buttons is iffy and not clicking/getting stuck and the left bumper this time is giving me issues. Convinced they're taking the piss now!

Return initiated (again)

They're sending me out a free series s/x white controller for the inconvenience. Let's hope I don't get another dud elite one, what's interesting is these are all brand new elite s2 pads not my one repaired, or other people's refurbished ones so I've just been incredibly unlucky I guess.

Tried to get a free electric volt one out of them but the support lady wasn't having it. :(

edit: now they backtracked on the free controller apparently that's only for US and Canada. rip

Anyone else experiencing Sound loss on games through Quick Resume?

Quitting the game from the dash fixes it but I have had the problem on a couple of games now, maybe since the May update.

2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Steelseries 7x

Turns out I've got an unused HyperX Cloud Mix in my mancave, can't even remember where I got it from. Should work with the Xbox, dunno anything about it but hey, it was free (must've been because I've certainly not bought it myself). 

11 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Quitting the game from the dash fixes it but I have had the problem on a couple of games now, maybe since the May update.

I’ve had it a few times. Most annoying bug I have is far my Series X switches off immediately after I first switch it on. The only plus is that the On and Off tones in quick succession recreate the arpeggio from ABBA’s Gimme Gimme Gimme. 

9 hours ago, Rayn said:

Almost anything works for playback as long as you connect them with a lead to the controller jack but I need to have a working mic as well for the multipayer sessions. I've got a few in-ear ones I use for workout, I'll try them when the Xbox decides to show up. 

Most things with a build in mic will work.

46 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Most things with a build in mic will work.

My Backbeat Pro 2 and Beats Studio 3 Wireless didn’t work at all with the PS4 :(

10 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I replaced the lead on my old Sennheisers with a £5 replacement off of Ebay that had an inline mic and it works great. Like others have said, anything non-Apple specific should work fine.

Even the Sony wireless headphones work fine on the Xbox if you turn them off and connect them with a lead to the controller jack.

Sadly, in my experience, this is not the case. I had a pair of Sony headphones connected with the Jack and the Xbox failed to recognise there was a mic. Same happened with a friend who bought a pair of wired headphones. It felt like pot luck when I went through this a few months back. 

7 hours ago, Sane said:

I'm mostly concerned with the quality of the graphical bells and whistles and framerate. If everything was exactly the same, only the resolution different I would go for an S. But it sounds like the X will look/run a bit better on my TV so in that case I will go for that. 

This is the case, yes. X generally supports 60fps and/or ray tracing where the S doesn’t. X plays Xbone games with One X enhancements while S plays them in bog standard Xbone mode. 

When it comes to visuals, X gon’ give it to ya. 

3 hours ago, Jg15 said:

FIFA 21 is the only game this happens for me. 

I just ordered an S, I definitely fit in the casual gamer bracket and don't currently have a console, so I'm looking forward to getting back into it. Got the £21 gamepass deal which for me is great value. No initial outlay and access to the games I'm likely to play.

New to the thread but is there much info about how well flight sim will run on the S? Details seem thin on the ground just now from my initial searches.

52 minutes ago, iwan_canobi said:

I just ordered an S, I definitely fit in the casual gamer bracket and don't currently have a console, so I'm looking forward to getting back into it. Got the £21 gamepass deal which for me is great value. No initial outlay and access to the games I'm likely to play.

New to the thread but is there much info about how well flight sim will run on the S? Details seem thin on the ground just now from my initial searches.

Don't think they've even confirmed a release date. 

In terms of raw specs the S is much more powerful than the recommend requirements of the pc - with the exception of RAM. Iirc it will be using directx 12 unlike the pc version so should be some performance gains there too. 

So it might run amazingly on the s. It's worth reiterating how beefy these machines are for the money, total flip from last gen's underpowered systems.

21 hours ago, evilashchris said:

i love the official xbox wireless ones, once set up properly they sound great.

Just ordered them from Currys.

Is there a decent guide to setting them up?

12 hours ago, Jg15 said:

Yes. If I press the guide button on and off it fixes it though. Or if I wait a minute. 

1 hour ago, Rocafella said:

Just ordered them from Currys.

Is there a decent guide to setting them up?

I really like the settings in this (including the atmos), but you can tweak to your taste from here.

It's bound to have been mentioned before, but even though the changes to the new pad are slight they make it feel so much more comfortable to hold. I'm swapping between an Xbox One pad on PC and the Series X one on... uh, Series X, and it's just such a better pad all around.

13 hours ago, deerokus said:

Don't think they've even confirmed a release date. 

In terms of raw specs the S is much more powerful than the recommend requirements of the pc - with the exception of RAM. Iirc it will be using directx 12 unlike the pc version so should be some performance gains there too. 

So it might run amazingly on the s. It's worth reiterating how beefy these machines are for the money, total flip from last gen's underpowered systems.

Yeah, from what I've seen it's pretty hard to get it running smoothly on the PC without dialling things back unless you've got a monster rig, so hoping they can optimise it quite a bit! I saw rumours of a June release, but also some saying August. It was a nice surprise to see it planned anyway, so I'll be happy whenever it turns up. Need to research some HOTAS setups as well now!

Console arrived today, not bad considering I ordered at 4pm yesterday from Smyths toy shop. Got it set up and downloading Sea of Theives and Star Wars Squadrons to try out. Played it briefly on my PC before I sold it but was playing in VR and it made me ill so I didn't get very far!

11 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

It's bound to have been mentioned before, but even though the changes to the new pad are slight they make it feel so much more comfortable to hold. I'm swapping between an Xbox One pad on PC and the Series X one on... uh, Series X, and it's just such a better pad all around.

I noticed this as soon as I took it out of the box, it feels smaller but really comfortable and has a nice weight to it! I'm assuming the Series S controller is the same as the X?

2 years and 4 months after purchase, the rubber on my white elite pad is coming off. It’s not had much use really, sometimes weeks/months without being turned on so I’m a little disappointed. MS can’t(!) help so am trying my luck with Amazon. Some guy has said if I get evidence that MS won’t repair it and that it’s a known issue, they’ll see what they can do. Fortunately Gabriel on the MS chat thing was more than happy to help:

“GabrielThe material on the Elite Controller was a little bit softer that the Elite Series 2, which was great, the thing is that this rubber grip on the first Elite became a known issue with a lot of our customer, specially because of the new games that required like more friction and over time the rubber grips were affected.”

“Gabriel: That's why we improved the rubber grips on the Elite Series 2 because it was really demanding and needed by the new games generation.”

“Gabriel: Also that was the reason why some retailer and companies started selling rubber grips for Elite Controller so anyone could replace them :)

I couldn’t have asked much more so hopefully Amazon will hook me up…

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S