Xbox Series X | S

djbhammer

19 hours ago, freezycold said:

Is there something up with Geometry Wars 2? I’m fairly sure I bought it on my 360 back in 2011, but for some reason I can’t redownload it on my series X without it expecting me to pay again. 

I have this problem too. I'm almost certain I bought the original Geometry Wars back in 2008/9 when I got my 360 but the store does not recognise that I own the game and wants me to buy it again.

18 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

Log into your Microsoft account and you should be able to see any purchases you've made. Account.microsoft.com  iirc.

The purchase history for my Microsoft account only goes back to 2010, and for the first few recorded transactions it only records purchases of MS Points and not the XBLA games purchased with those points. This was back when you had to buy points to spend on XBLA and you couldn't just buy the games using real money. So I can't tell what games I actually bought. MS changed its approach at some point around 2013/4 because after that my order history records the actual XBLA games purchased and prices I paid in £GBP.

I'm not sure why my order history only goes back to 2010 but I vaguely recollect linking my XBLA account with my Microsoft account at some point during the 360's lifespan. Perhaps XBLA purchases which pre-date that aren't associated with your Microsoft account.

I actually queried this with MS support who directed me to check my download history for my Xbox 360. That should give you a record of every game purchase as well as every demo, bit of DLC, movie trailer etc. that you bought or downloaded on your 360. Your download history is no longer accessible from the Xbox app or online but if you don't have your 360 set up (which I didn't at the time) then you can still check this via the MS Store app on a Windows PC. 

If it's there in your download history, take a screenshot and get in touch with MS support. If it's not there, MS will assume it was probably bought using a different account and that your current Microsoft account has no licence to the game.

3 hours ago, gratuitous sax said:

vaguely recollect linking my XBLA account with my Microsoft account at some point during the 360's lifespan

Would this be converting a profile on the console to a proper silver/gold account? I wonder if until the account had billing details etc associated with it wouldn’t tie up purchases? Actually could you buy stuff with a profile (rather than an account)?

3 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

Would this be converting a profile on the console to a proper silver/gold account? I wonder if until the account had billing details etc associated with it wouldn’t tie up purchases? Actually could you buy stuff with a profile (rather than an account)?

Possibly... I never had Gold and remember buying points cards from retail rather than from Microsoft to redeem on XBLA. 

All my other backwards compatible games seem to be downloadable, so I think it’s going to turn out to be that my partner bought the game rather than me and my memory is playing tricks :facepalm:

12 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

I read their review and thought it sounded fantastic. Gave it a good go but the controls just didn't work for me.

i second this, thought it looked great, but the controls...my god! it was like it was made by somebody who has never actually played this type of game before!...or they played Lair and thought that was the way to control lol 

Annoying bug last night on my Series X that it wouldn’t load any bloody games! As soon as the HDR logo popped up, it would quit to dash. Tried 4 games (didn’t try a non HDR game) and quit all QR games. Tried a reboot and a hold power 10 secs. Ended up resetting the console (keep settings and games) and it worked fine. Quite bloody annoying as first game time I had all weekend (tho the Xbox has been on and in use at weekend-  kids playing fortnite / minecraft as normal) 

3 hours ago, fattakin said:

Annoying bug last night on my Series X that it wouldn’t load any bloody games! As soon as the HDR logo popped up, it would quit to dash. Tried 4 games (didn’t try a non HDR game) and quit all QR games. Tried a reboot and a hold power 10 secs. Ended up resetting the console (keep settings and games) and it worked fine. Quite bloody annoying as first game time I had all weekend (tho the Xbox has been on and in use at weekend-  kids playing fortnite / minecraft as normal) 

Tried pulling the plug and waiting a couple of minutes before switching it back on instead of using the buttons for a reset/power off?

19 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Tried pulling the plug and waiting a couple of minutes before switching it back on instead of using the buttons for a reset/power off?

I didn’t! Was dying to use my slot for RE so went nuclear!

6 hours ago, fattakin said:

Same thing happened to me yesterday ... I had been switching between my SX and my old first-gen XB1 a couple of times during the day, so I suspected it was something about it thinking I was still logged-in to the other console? I did "full shutdown" on the console I had just left, and after a couple of mins, the other one was back in action.

This happens to me sometimes switching between my original model xbox one and the one x version so it's not just a next-gen "feature". If I just retry like 5 or 6 times it usually sorts itself. Annoying all the same.

Any recommendations for an OK wireless headset for the Xbox Series X? This has possibly been answered a lot of times but I did a search and didn't find any discussion on it so don't shoot me if this has been done to death.

I'm just looking for something that's easy to set up and get going and preferrably has more than five hours of battery life. I'm used to the Playstation Gold Wireless for the PS4 and I've found that pretty much excellent, bar from a fairly weak battery life. I asked a friend but instantly regretted asking him as I'd forgotten he's a self proclaimed audiophile, now he goes on and on about some B&O model that cost £450, which is about 4x more than I'm willing to pay atm. 

Just now, Rayn said:

Any recommendations for an OK wireless headset for the Xbox Series X? This has possibly been answered a lot of times but I did a search and didn't find any discussion on it so don't shoot me if this has been done to death.

I'm just looking for something that's easy to set up and get going and preferrably has more than five hours of battery life. I'm used to the Playstation Gold Wireless for the PS4 and I've found that pretty much excellent, bar from a fairly weak battery life. I asked a friend but instantly regretted asking him as I'd forgotten he's a self proclaimed audiophile, now he goes on and on about some B&O model that cost £450, which is about 4x more than I'm willing to pay atm. 

The official Xbox headset.

https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/accessories/headsets/xbox-wireless-headset

1 minute ago, Rayn said:

That's probably exactly what I'm after but it does, sadly, seem like it's harder to find than an actual Series X

Yeah I gave up but will try again soon, it does look like the best one to get for the price. In the meantime if you absolutely need one just go for something cheap, personally I’ll wait. 

Unlike the PS4, the sound output through the controller jack on the Xbox is so good that I don't find I need a separate wireless headset. I've got a wired pair of old Sennheisers connected directly to the controller and they are massively better (and are much more comfortable) than the PS4's Gold headset ever was.

If you don't mind wiring up to the pad you can use any headphones you like. However I absolutely adore my Arctis 7x. Great sound (especially with atmos) and the most comfortable headphones I have ever owned. Works wirelessly natively on the xboxes but also on a load of other platforms - even the switch lite. 

I'm not sure what availability is like at the moment, the manufacturer is based in Denmark so there were some Brexit issues at one point. More expensive than the official ones mind. 

Will the mic work in any wireless headset if I connect it with the jack to the controller? I've got a couple of midrange wireless ones I've used for music, like Backbeat Pro 2 and Beats Studio 3 Wireless. 

1 minute ago, Rayn said:

Will the mic work in any wireless headset if I connect it with the jack to the controller? I've got a couple of midrange wireless ones I've used for music, like Backbeat Pro 2 and Beats Studio 3 Wireless. 

Should do with the exception that apple-specific 3.5mm connectors won't (but I assume those don't exist anymore anyway?). 

2 minutes ago, Rayn said:

No, in my experience. 

2 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Should do with the exception that apple-specific 3.5mm connectors won't (but I assume those don't exist anymore anyway?). 

1 minute ago, Pockets said:

No, in my experience. 

Well, that answers that then.... :seanr:

3 minutes ago, Rayn said:

My Sony XM3s mic only works over bluetooth so I bought one of these cables and it works great.

V-MODA BoomPro Microphone for Gaming & Communication - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Hi-Fi & Speakers

4 minutes ago, deerokus said:

It's not the connector, that's standard, it's that the Apple plug wiring is different to everyone else's (for no reason whatsoever).

If you get something designated for Android, it will work. 

22 minutes ago, evilashchris said:

i love the official xbox wireless ones, once set up properly they sound great.

It's crazy how its still not as good or useful as the official Halo 3 one released in the 360 days. I've still got mine knocking around and it still hasn't been beaten. Pretty sure it wasn't £90 either!

021-halo-3-accessories.jpg

I was able to hook up a USB microphone to the back of my xbox. I prefer to wear in-ear headphones so just plug them into the controller. Works great and had all the bits anyway because I don't like wearing headsets for zoom meetings. 

I replaced the lead on my old Sennheisers with a £5 replacement off of Ebay that had an inline mic and it works great. Like others have said, anything non-Apple specific should work fine.

Even the Sony wireless headphones work fine on the Xbox if you turn them off and connect them with a lead to the controller jack.

Almost anything works for playback as long as you connect them with a lead to the controller jack but I need to have a working mic as well for the multipayer sessions. I've got a few in-ear ones I use for workout, I'll try them when the Xbox decides to show up. 

A lot of things will work plugged into the controller, but the sound quality for those on the other end may also vary. One of my mates has been using in-ear phones and the mic is really poor for those of us listening on the other end of the line.

1 hour ago, Rayn said:

That's probably exactly what I'm after but it does, sadly, seem like it's harder to find than an actual Series X

In stock at Game.

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

It's crazy how its still not as good or useful as the official Halo 3 one released in the 360 days. I've still got mine knocking around and it still hasn't been beaten. Pretty sure it wasn't £90 either!

With regards to price comparison you're comparing apples and oranges there. That's a single ear chat headset, as opposed to the new wireless xbox headset which are a proper set of overear bluetooth headphones.

The new wireless headset (assuming you can get hold of it*) is brilliant. I love it and paired with the Dolby Atmos codec the sense of surround sound is fantastic. Also really easy to adjust volume and chat mix with the dials on the cans, and just so easy to set up.

*They seem to come into stock fairly regularly though, managed to get a pair for my son's birthday from Very and then 2 weeks later my wife got me a pair for my birthday from Amazon.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S