Jump to content

Xbox Series X | S


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

I think there might be some truth to this being more of a PlayStation title but isn't this mostly down to the fact there are just far more PlayStations out there than Xbox's. We'll never know exactly what the split is as Microsoft won't say but a 3:1 split last gen seems to be about the measure of it. On that basis those numbers don't seem that surprising. 

 

It's a combination of all those things I think. But the latest Assassin's Creed was only a 60/40 split in favour of PS so there are definitely certain kinds of games where Xbox relatively outperforms (FPS and WRPGs, I'd say). Resi just isn't one of those series.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Anecdote time and not really anything to do with this, but the ps-only people I know seem way more likely to buy physical copies for some reason.


We need something we can still use when the PSN is broken/deleted forever/might be shutting down/full of bees.

Link to post
Share on other sites

According to True Achievements Resi barely charted in the Xbox weekly play list (19) whereas it charted at no 4 on Playstation.

 

https://www.trueachievements.com/n45459/xbox-gameplay-chart

 

Although this is worldwide this aligns with the general sales performance in the UK and is perhaps an indication that the majority of Xbox players didn't buy Resi and are still happy with their CoD's etc.

 

Personally I'm waiting for it to drop in price!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

 

Gamepass won't significantly cut into Resident Evil's sales, it just won't.


Perhaps, although people are already talking about holding off on Mass Effect as it’ll be on EA/GP eventually, so there must be some impact. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst this is the definition of a 'hot take', I think PS owners enjoy a wider variety of game types than Xbox owners. Especially when it comes to single player experiences. 

 

And I massively think gamepass will hurt sales.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, scoobysi said:


Perhaps, although people are already talking about holding off on Mass Effect as it’ll be on EA/GP eventually, so there must be some impact. 

Yep but that has been the case for all EA content... EA Play Premium etc. Lets face it Mass Effect is an old game anyway with remastered visuals. Or at least that's my understanding of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Whilst this is the definition of a 'hot take', I think PS owners enjoy a wider variety of game types than Xbox owners. Especially when it comes to single player experiences. 

 

And I massively think gamepass will hurt sales.

 

That's just wrong surely when GP goes back several generations and the PS5 goes back one. There's piles of different genres to play.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

Whilst this is the definition of a 'hot take', I think PS owners enjoy a wider variety of game types than Xbox owners. Especially when it comes to single player experiences. 

 

This might have been the case a long while back but to be honest if anything Sony has been narrowing its game types down for a bit now. Recent closure of Japan Studio is further evidence of this. Think Sony have actually removed most of the reasons why I'd pick up a PlayStation. So its saved me a bit of money this gen.

 

Had so much variety of games since getting GP its silly. Lots of content on there covering all sorts of genres. Its one of the main reasons I went and will stay with Xbox this gen. Had GP fairly early on (when Forza Horizon 4 released onto it) and I can honestly say never played and finished so many games so its doing something right.

 

Anyway not wanting this to descend into a console war topic so you know pick what you enjoy playing... 

 

Really like my Xbox and the content on it and GP is the icing on the cake.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Don Wiskerando said:

It's nonsense.    Looking at my Xbox games and Playstation games, the variety is all on the Xbox side and my Playstation is for exclusives only.

Quite.

 

especially if your PS Exclusives include PSVR games :coffee:

 

seriously though, my boneX should see me through until a seriesX price drop/redesign where my PS4pro is in need of a refresh.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not going to die on this hill or anything, and I love my Xbox soooo much. The variety is there, and gamepass will stretch peoples horizons.

 

but at the same time I don’t think nerds like us represent typical Nintendo, PlayStation or Xbox fans. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

I’m not going to die on this hill or anything, and I love my Xbox soooo much. The variety is there, and gamepass will stretch peoples horizons.

 

but at the same time I don’t think nerds like us represent typical Nintendo, PlayStation or Xbox fans. 

Correct but then sometimes we are indirectly influence people as we are typically early adopters of things like GamePass and usually sing praises when asked about things... 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, MattyP said:

This might have been the case a long while back but to be honest if anything Sony has been narrowing its game types down for a bit now. Recent closure of Japan Studio is further evidence of this. Think Sony have actually removed most of the reasons why I'd pick up a PlayStation. So its saved me a bit of money this gen.

 

Had so much variety of games since getting GP its silly. Lots of content on there covering all sorts of genres. Its one of the main reasons I went and will stay with Xbox this gen. Had GP fairly early on (when Forza Horizon 4 released onto it) and I can honestly say never played and finished so many games so its doing something right.

 

Anyway not wanting this to descend into a console war topic so you know pick what you enjoy playing... 

 

Really like my Xbox and the content on it and GP is the icing on the cake.

 

Agree here. Towards the end of the 360 era and pretty much all through the Xbox One life cycle MS had massively narrowed the available games for their systems. If you wanted Yakuza you had to go PS. Now they have it on Game Pass for anyone to check out as they fancy. 

 

They're still in recovery mode, but absolutely heading in the right direction. Long may it continue. Sony are moving in the opposite direction, narrowing their focus.

 

Want Last of Us 3? No? Here, have another anyway! Japan Studio? Unique and fun games? Never heard of them, shut them down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LaveDisco said:

I’m not going to die on this hill or anything, and I love my Xbox soooo much. The variety is there, and gamepass will stretch peoples horizons.

 

but at the same time I don’t think nerds like us represent typical Nintendo, PlayStation or Xbox fans. 

To be fair, looking at that gameplay chart I posted a link to earlier, the top 10 games on both Xbox and Playstation platforms are virtually identical with CoD taking both top spots on both platforms and others (like GTA 5, Apex and Fortnite) filling out the other top spaces.

 

The odd one out is literally Resi in the Playstation list, sat in a sea of big multiplayer shooters. The fact that it sits so low on the Xbox list doesn't really surprise me but does indicate a smaller group of hard-core gamers on Xbox than PS (which is of no surprise). Course, I would imagine Resi will sink down the list pretty quickly from here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

May console update is out, for most people it's going to be all about those sweet Quick Resume improvements 

 

Quote

Quick Resume is getting even better with improved reliability, faster load times, and a new group that organizes your Quick Resume games in one place.

 

Passthrough audio gives your media apps the best possible listening experience with your external sound system.

 

Starting this month, you can approve multiplayer games for your kids by specific title – directly from the console or when using the Xbox Family Settings app on iOS and Android.

 

Apparently there's also a new dynamic theme as well.

 

Edit - make that two. An original Xbox inspired theme and the 'Motes' theme.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably not the place for it, but Asura's Wrath is £3 on the store right now with Gold so now's the time for anyone who hasn't already played it.

 

Also, Titanfall 2 for £2.50. That's on game pass, but I bought it anyway. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Probably not the place for it, but Asura's Wrath is £3 on the store right now with Gold so now's the time for anyone who hasn't already played it.

 

Also, Titanfall 2 for £2.50. That's on game pass, but I bought it anyway. 

Both absolutely incredible

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I just got an X from the Microsoft website. Just hammer refresh until something happens, as they appear to be there, hiding. 

I of course don’t have a TV that will do it justice. Is it just a 4K wotsit that’s needed, I’m coming from a 2005 Toshiba. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@jimmbob if you want to go Rolls Royce, get a 4K OLED that can do 120Hz. 
 

In my opinion, OLED is the single biggest improvement you can make when buying a new TV. The difference between that and LED is like going from SD to HD, or 30fps to 60. It’s a game-changer, without a doubt. 


It’s probably impossible to get an OLED that doesn’t do 4K, in fairness, but you’ll pay more for the 120Hz refresh rate. 
 

Welcome to the party!

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jimmbob said:

I think I just got an X from the Microsoft website. Just hammer refresh until something happens, as they appear to be there, hiding. 

I of course don’t have a TV that will do it justice. Is it just a 4K wotsit that’s needed, I’m coming from a 2005 Toshiba. 

 

It really depends what your budget is and what Series X features you want to use.

 

You'll probably want a 4K TV at a minimum but what about good HDR? 120 FPS support? Variable Refresh Rate support? How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go here (and more importantly, how much do you want to spend?)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the tips folks.
I’m coming from a 2005 Toshiba with an 18 month out of date glasses prescription. So I’m thinking anything will be a step up. I also can’t go too crazy because I’ve just dropped 450 bones on a console I wasn’t planning on buying today. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, jimmbob said:

Thanks for the tips folks.
I’m coming from a 2005 Toshiba with an 18 month out of date glasses prescription. So I’m thinking anything will be a step up. I also can’t go too crazy because I’ve just dropped 450 bones on a console I wasn’t planning on buying today. 
 

 

As much as everyone will recommend you an OLED, that's going to be out of your price range. If you can stretch to £550-£600 then you can get a Samsung Q60T - this is their entry level QLED and generally they have a good reputation. 

 

I'm not sure below that kind of price range but a Google of best budget gaming 4K TVs should do you good. Just make sure you check the input lag for gaming as the cheaper sets can have quite poor input lag.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got one into my basket on the microsoft website but it wouldn't let me buy it. :( Is there any sorta method or you just gotta hope and get lucky at the right time?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jamesy said:

I got one into my basket on the microsoft website but it wouldn't let me buy it. :( Is there any sorta method or you just gotta hope and get lucky at the right time?


They were coming in and out of stock every few minutes.

 

I had it sat in my basket, went to the check out page, and kept refreshing there until I managed to get all the way through to payment being accepted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jamesy said:

I got one into my basket on the microsoft website but it wouldn't let me buy it. :( Is there any sorta method or you just gotta hope and get lucky at the right time?


I was on my phone btw, but I had it in my basket then it’d keep saying not in stock when trying to complete. I left it in the basket and just hit “back” and add to cart repeatedly until it started to go through. Once or twice it went to the payment method and then crapped out. Eventually it just went through. I can only suggest keep trying that. 
 

@Majora thanks for the tips. I will do some research at work tomorrow. Down the rabbit hole I go. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jimmbob said:


I was on my phone btw, but I had it in my basket then it’d keep saying not in stock when trying to complete. I left it in the basket and just hit “back” and add to cart repeatedly until it started to go through. Once or twice it went to the payment method and then crapped out. Eventually it just went through. I can only suggest keep trying that. 
 

@Majora thanks for the tips. I will do some research at work tomorrow. Down the rabbit hole I go. 


The LG Nanocell 86 has hdmi 2.1 and 120hz (and the model numbers above that one should too) and will be cheaper than an oled. I was gonna get one myself until I surpassed the fuck it threshold and got an oled afterall.

 

https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-55nano866pa


https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086DLHH4L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_3S10TST8H8BW7AQDY48J?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.