Xbox Series X | S

21 minutes ago, Popo said:

Scoobysi is not wrong though - Nintendo and Microsoft are in direct competition for your time. Why would Ninty encourage behaviour that at best encourages their customers to play MS titles, potentially eating into their own sales?

Because having access to Game Pass titles on a dedicated portable games console is quite likely to increase sales of the console would be one thought.

Nintendo still persist with that old fashioned notion of turning a profit on hardware sales.

There’s not a huge cross over between Nintendo’s own output and Gamepass games so it would only really be impacting third party titles, many of which simply aren’t possible on the Switch currently anyway

I suppose a similar deal is Netflix on Sky Q where you get the full UHD Netflix package for a hefty discount, under £5pm. That discount probably helps ensure people stay with Sky. My Netflix account registers that I’m subscribed and currently billed via Sky so they are tightly coupled. The upside for Netflix is I’m less likely to switch it off month to month as it’s more hassle to do so via Sky (of course lol).

I think GP is a hard sell until the likes of Nintendo also have an equivalent for their games and could then perhaps have a subscribe to GP at a discount offer along the lines of above.

2 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

I think GP is a hard sell until the likes of Nintendo also have an equivalent for their games and could then perhaps have a subscribe to GP at a discount offer along the lines of above.

Going to be hard to come up with a better offer than 3 years for £1 :P

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

Nintendo are going to bring out their own gamepass model. Only it's 79 pounds a month and each month they will add one N64 game. Then take an older one away.

People will subscribe in their millions 

In January I jokingly tweeted about Nintendo fighting the war against emulation by announcing a "Virtual Console Game Pass"-style thing, but they're probably more interested in repackaging old games and selling them in boxed compilations or anniversary handhelds.

3 hours ago, Ry said:

When folks talk about gamepass going to switch, they mean as a cloud service right? Does the switch have 5ghz? If not then its not gonna happen. 

Yes that's exactly what I meant.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Scoobysi is not wrong though - Nintendo and Microsoft are in direct competition for your time. Why would Ninty encourage behaviour that at best encourages their customers to play MS titles, potentially eating into their own sales?

Because it'd be a money maker and patch a hole in their offering.  They've co-operated with MS before, recently.

If it's not that then I can't imagine what it is that would matter half a damn.

Nintendo have cooperated with Microsoft by releasing Ori and Minecraft on Switch - but Nintendo get revenue from Switch software, so this is mutually beneficial. And this arrangement ensures gamer eyeballs and spare time invested in the Nintendo ecosystem. 

A streaming app to a competitor’s suite of software is a very different proposition. Nintendo could perhaps extract a percentage from MS for the privilege, although I’m not sure how that would work or why MS would be willing to share, but I think most importantly it’s opening the gate and encouraging Switch gamers to play in Microsoft’s playground. A person with a monthly game pass sub and hundreds of titles at their disposal is much less inclined to go spend time and money on Nintendo software. 

It’ll never happen - for all the same reasons it’ll never happen on PlayStation.

Nintendo and Microsoft are competitors - Nintendo and Netflix are competitors too. They’re competing for your spare time. God knows since I got my Xbox my Switch usage has dropped off a cliff. 

2 minutes ago, Popo said:

Nintendo have cooperated with Microsoft by releasing Ori and Minecraft on Switch - but Nintendo get revenue from Switch software, so this is mutually beneficial. And this arrangement ensures gamer eyeballs and spare time invested in the Nintendo ecosystem. 

A streaming app to a competitor’s suite of software is a very different proposition. Nintendo could perhaps extract a percentage from MS for the privilege, although I’m not sure how that would work or why MS would be willing to share, but I think most importantly it’s opening the gate and encouraging Switch gamers to play in Microsoft’s playground. A person with a monthly game pass sub and hundreds of titles at their disposal is much less inclined to go spend time and money on Nintendo software. 

It’ll never happen - for all the same reasons it’ll never happen on PlayStation.

Nintendo and Microsoft are competitors - Nintendo and Netflix are competitors too. They’re competing for your spare time. God knows since I got my Xbox my Switch usage has dropped off a cliff. 

I don’t think that’s true, Nintendo won’t ever have the tech to do streaming so MS as a partner makes 100% and MS won’t ever do a handheld so having the Switch makes sense - they don’t compete in the same market in the same way Ford and Mercedes do and don’t but are both cars offering the same thing.

Its the Wii60 all over again, I’m gonna go all in and say there will be a Switch pro deal on all access ;) 

1 minute ago, Shimmyhill said:

I don’t think that’s true, Nintendo won’t ever have the tech to do streaming so MS as a partner makes 100% and MS won’t ever do a handheld so having the Switch makes sense - they don’t compete in the same market in the same way Ford and Mercedes do and don’t but are both cars offering the same thing.

Its the Wii60 all over again, I’m gonna go all in and say there will be a Switch pro deal on all access ;) 

I don't agree!  Ford and Mercedes probably aren't in direct competition because Ford sell cheaper, mass-market cars to average income earners while Mercedes sell expensive, high-performance cars to high income earners. :D

Games consoles, on the other hand, are selling to people with about £300-500 in disposable cash.  You might argue that Nintendo skews younger, but the Switch has proven Nintendo's universal appeal.

I appreciate your point on streaming vs hand-held, but I don't see them as distinct in the context of the wider 'Enjoying Your Spare Time' industry that is music, movies, television and games.  Being a consumer in this market isn't an investment in the same way as buying a car is; it might even be someone who gets games for free through the Epic store and plays them on a PC they already own.

It's an incredibly competitive and saturated market as it is, and that's before you get to the kind of practicalities like - what happens when New Game is released on both Switch and Game Pass?  Nintendo directly lose a sale on that for every Game Pass subscriber.  Imagine being Nintendo and having no control over what games your competitor makes available through the streaming portal that's available on your ecosystem?

Can we please all start taking every fart that comes out of Jeff Grubb's mouth with a grain of salt?

Almost nothing he predicts comes out. I am still waiting for that major unannounced AAA game that Microsoft would drop very early in 2021.

On 12/04/2021 at 12:29, Mr Tony said:

Any word on the official wireless headset coming to the UK? It has an RRP for £90 but not available anywhere. Only place I have found is ebay at about £15o

Back in stock at Currys through their store and eBay: 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/gaming-accessories/gaming-headsets/microsoft-xbox-wireless-gaming-headset-black-10221380-pdt.html

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MICROSOFT-Xbox-Wireless-Gaming-Headset-Over-ear-Lightweight-Black-Currys-/133669427665?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&siteid=3&campid=5336549684&customid=2165900465&toolid=10001&mkevt=1

Quick question, hoping that’s ok and someone can clarify: if you game share with a friend (my home console is his, his is mine etc) can you both play the exact same game at the same time? So I buy an online coop game, can we both play together? If yes, does it work with game pass games too? Thanks

Getting strong ‘Of course Microsoft will keep releasing Bethesda games on PlayStation, they’d be leaving money on the table otherwise’ energy from the people convinced that GamePass is going to be on Switch any moment on the strength of a random YouTube video.

25 minutes ago, reef said:

Quick question, hoping that’s ok and someone can clarify: if you game share with a friend (my home console is his, his is mine etc) can you both play the exact same game at the same time? So I buy an online coop game, can we both play together? If yes, does it work with game pass games too? Thanks

Yes it will work, bought and Gamepass games.

I wonder if the Microsoft/Nintendo news (if it really exists) would be something about Rare made games/characters allowed back to Nintendo systems. I would guess that this would be one of the main reasons that we haven't seen a N64 mini. 

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

Getting strong ‘Of course Microsoft will keep releasing Bethesda games on PlayStation, they’d be leaving money on the table otherwise’ energy from the people convinced that GamePass is going to be on Switch any moment on the strength of a random YouTube video.

They're two very different prospects.

Through game pass, they "released" a lot of Bethesda games on Android and iOS recently...

MS Explicitly don't care what device you use for game pass, they want you to use game pass.

On Nintendo's side it's more interesting but your post would be more appropriate if the rumour was Super Mario on Xbox in return, which it isn't, because that would be stupid.  There WOULD be benefits to Nintendo in a massive game library for their machine though, there's no denying that.  Whether they'll go for it who knows but it's absolutely no comparison to "MS will pay to port native exclusives to the direct competitor" at all.

And even then, if Sony went mad and allowed gamepass on PS5, MS would put it there in 2 seconds.

It's going to be something along the lines of an announcement that Mr Pants, Kameo, and the boy from Grabbed by the Ghoulies will be appearing as exclusive unlockable skins in the Switch version of the Destroy All Humans remake.

Does anyone else's Series X|S switch itself off immediately on first power up? Mine does the startup chime, then the shut down chime, goes through all the startup noises, etc for 10-20 seconds then shuts itself down. Odd.

EDIT: I switch it off at the plug overnight in case that has something to do with it?

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

They're two very different prospects.

Through game pass, they "released" a lot of Bethesda games on Android and iOS recently...

MS Explicitly don't care what device you use for game pass, they want you to use game pass.

On Nintendo's side it's more interesting but your post would be more appropriate if the rumour was Super Mario on Xbox in return, which it isn't, because that would be stupid.  There WOULD be benefits to Nintendo in a massive game library for their machine though, there's no denying that.  Whether they'll go for it who knows but it's absolutely no comparison to "MS will pay to port native exclusives to the direct competitor" at all.

And even then, if Sony went mad and allowed gamepass on PS5, MS would put it there in 2 seconds.

I was talking more about the type of people who run off to fantasy town at the slightest rumour from some no-name on social media, rather than the exact scenarios being a perfect correlation. 

25 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I was talking more about the type of people who run off to fantasy town at the slightest rumour from some no-name on social media, rather than the exact scenarios being a perfect correlation. 

There’s nothing wrong with a bit of wild speculation though and MS must be doing something right at the moment to keep people talking about the Series consoles.

It’ll probably be something and nothing, but it’s only a bit of fun to make stuff up.

On 12/04/2021 at 12:29, Mr Tony said:

Any word on the official wireless headset coming to the UK? It has an RRP for £90 but not available anywhere. Only place I have found is ebay at about £15o

Walked into my local Game in Bromley this afternoon and bought  the official wireless headset from them (they had 3 in stock), so may be worth checking at your nearest branch.

Got a shiny new Series X in today. Played a lot of 360 games back in the day, looking forward to seeing what works (and what doesn’t) there... but the Xbox One was a dust gatherer next to the PS4 last generation. Looking for recommendations on what to play/pick up (esp. as lots of XB1 stuff is dirt cheap now second-hand).

Yes, I know Gamepass is a thing. Weighing that one up, but I do rather like having disc collections. Call it a quirk. What should I play?

4 minutes ago, loathsomeleopard said:

Got a shiny new Series X in today. Played a lot of 360 games back in the day, looking forward to seeing what works (and what doesn’t) there... but the Xbox One was a dust gatherer next to the PS4 last generation. Looking for recommendations on what to play/pick up (esp. as lots of XB1 stuff is dirt cheap now second-hand).

Yes, I know Gamepass is a thing. Weighing that one up, but I do rather like having disc collections. Call it a quirk. What should I play?

I would still consider Gamepass if I were you. It's only the cost of a couple of new games and you'll have access to 3 years of first party games moving forward and also a lot of quirky games that you might otherwise ignore. I'm probably just teaching you to suck eggs, but really, give it some thought!

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S