Xbox Series X | S

1 hour ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

I have never used the D-Pad on an Xbox. I'm curious as to what ( non retro i guess ) game to use it on?

How on earth to you order your weapons or craft on Fortnite :o;) 

Last Thursday I did a spring cleaning in my tiny bedroom so I moved my gaming PC to the spare room (also tiny).

It was so tidy that I decided not to bring the PC back! Instead my brain started wandering and I ...

somehow ended up with an Argos SMS saying that my Series S was ready to collect :P 

The Series S does a lot of things right. It is very impressive. I dont regret getting it at all!. 

There is only one thing that bugs me, and it is the 30fps rate limit that is predominant in so many games. 

Im ok with 1080p/60, not so OK with 1080p/30 Im trying not to get annoyed with that. I guess I can always upgrade to a series X.

8 minutes ago, daifuco said:

The Series S does a lot of things right. It is very impressive. I dont regret getting it at all!. 

There is only one thing that bugs me, and it is the 30fps rate limit that is predominant in so many games. 

Im ok with 1080p/60, not so OK with 1080p/30 Im trying not to get annoyed with that. I guess I can always upgrade to a series X.

The Series S will be a little unfortunate to start with. If not Series X|S optimized (which needs the devs to do work), then I understand it uses the One S version of the game, whereas the Series X is treated to the One X version (again, if the devs originally added this - might be 4k60, for example). 

Help is on the way, though. There's a new feature called FPS Boost which tinkers at a DirectX level to get 30 fps games to run at 60 fps, including on the Series S:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/17/22287001/microsoft-xbox-series-x-s-fps-boost-feature-games

12 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Are there many that run 30fps on the S but 60fps on the X then?

I didn’t think there were. Loads of games seem to be hitting 60 on the S in 1080 with no ray tracing. 

What games are locked to 30? 

1 hour ago, Yiggy said:

I didn’t think there were. Loads of games seem to be hitting 60 on the S in 1080 with no ray tracing. 

What games are locked to 30? 

Wreckfest has been updated to run at 60fps on the Series X. 

I think AC Valhalla is locked at 1440/30, on the series S but runs at full 4K/60 fps on Series X.

Sadly I guess 1440p/30 seems more attractive than 1080p/60 to most people. And to be honest, in cinematic games like AC I guess 1440p/30 is not that bad, but would rather have the choice.

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

They added a 60fps mode to Valhalla. 

Other than Wreckfest, I’m not aware of any Series S games which run at 30fps where the Series X is 60. 

Wreckfest, like a few others, uses a sort of enhanced backwards compatible mode rather than a proper X/S version, and I think on some of those series s doesn't have 60fps. Jedi Fallen Order too possibly? 

That's a game that benefits massively from the new consoles even without a proper X/S update BTW. 

7 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

They added a 60fps mode to Valhalla. 

Other than Wreckfest, I’m not aware of any Series S games which run at 30fps where the Series X is 60. 

I'm just about to start Dragon Quest XI and apparently that uses the One S version on the Series S, which is 30fps, whereas the Series X uses the One X version and hits 60fps, which is going to be a bit annoying. Moving between other games will mean I'll need to readjust to the lower frame rate, plus I reckon the Series S could easily hit 60fps on DQ, but it just automatically goes for the inferior One S version. 

24 minutes ago, Parksey said:

I'm just about to start Dragon Quest XI and apparently that uses the One S version on the Series S, which is 30fps, whereas the Series X uses the One X version and hits 60fps, which is going to be a bit annoying. Moving between other games will mean I'll need to readjust to the lower frame rate, plus I reckon the Series S could easily hit 60fps on DQ, but it just automatically goes for the inferior One S version. 

That's what he says. Native Series S/X games run at 60 FPS on either console. But playing games through backwards compatibility is a different story. Dragon Quest XI is an Xbox One game (NOT a Series game), so you're playing it through BC. And on BC the Series S console will always default to the vanilla Xbox One version - ie you miss out on any Xbox One X enhancements to resolution and framerate. 

Ah okay. 

Wish they'd let you override that, as surely the Series S can handle the One X version? Obviously going to be a reason why that's the case though. Not so bothered about the resolution differences but the increased frame rate benefits the feel of a game a lot more, and makes flitting between other games (specifically those buffed for the next-gen consoles) less jarring. 

Possibly dumb question: I played Skyrim on 360 back in the day, I’d quite like to carry on my existing save on Series X rather than restarting, is this possible? I can’t remember if 360 did cloud saves or if they can transfer. My 360 is up in the loft so I can dig it out and hook it up if needed. 

Edit: it looks like this can be done: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.engadget.com/amp/xbox-360-free-cloud-transfers-xbox-series-x-series-s-162539454.html

A project for the weekend then!

1 hour ago, Parksey said:

Ah okay. 

Wish they'd let you override that, as surely the Series S can handle the One X version? Obviously going to be a reason why that's the case though. Not so bothered about the resolution differences but the increased frame rate benefits the feel of a game a lot more, and makes flitting between other games (specifically those buffed for the next-gen consoles) less jarring. 

I don't know the underlying technical reasoning,  I think it's something about S to S comparability and X to X. The Xbox One X being a 4k machine and using 4k assets, and the Series X likewise - while the S consoles are not aiming for 4k gaming and don't use 4k assets. I don't know, I agree with you that it should be possible - at worst the Series S version would downscale the image from 4k to 1440p but that only means that it would look better.

8 minutes ago, lankysanchez said:

Possibly dumb question: I played Skyrim on 360 back in the day, I’d quite like to carry on my existing save on Series X rather than restarting, is this possible? I can’t remember if 360 did cloud saves or if they can transfer. My 360 is up in the loft so I can dig it out and hook it up if needed. 

Edit: it looks like this can be done: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.engadget.com/amp/xbox-360-free-cloud-transfers-xbox-series-x-series-s-162539454.html

Can confirm. Shortly before the Series came out, I hooked up my 360. Sign in with the same account of course, went to save management in the console settings (can't recall what it's called exactly) and manually uploaded each save that I wanted to keep one by one. It takes a bit of time (the 360 is waaaaay slower than you remember) but it's well worth it because those saves will be part of your Xbox account permanently from that point onwards. When you fire up an old 360 game on your Series, it will automagically pull down your circa 2006 save and you can continue where you left of! It's wonderful 

Edit: I have no idea about using a Skyrim 360 save in Skyrim Special Edition though.

1 hour ago, lankysanchez said:

Was going to say the XB1 Skyrim is a different version of the game to the 360 one so I don't see the save file working in the XB1 version. The 360 version isn't B/C either.

49 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Death Stranding composer melts internet.

Without clicking on that tweet, I'm guessing a Microsoft buys Kojima Pro megaton* is what people are assuming?

* Mega ton?!

55 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Without clicking on that tweet, I'm guessing a Microsoft buys Kojima Pro megaton* is what people are assuming?

* Mega ton?!

The assumptions are as diverse in speculation as you can imagine. Varying from Death Stranding coming to Gamepass to Kojima buys Konami, Death Stranding 2 : Silent Metal

10 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

The assumptions are as diverse in speculation as you can imagine. Varying from Death Stranding coming to Gamepass to Kojima buys Konami, Death Stranding 2 : Silent Metal

I'm betting all in on everything: Microsoft buys Kojima AND Konami, Metal Gear Next coming exclusive to Xbox, Blinx and Silent Hills crossover game confirmed.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I'm betting all in on everything: Microsoft buys Kojima AND Konami, Metal Gear Next coming exclusive to Xbox, Blinx and Silent Hills crossover game confirmed.

I would love that to happen, just to see the nuclear mushroom cloud from Resetera. :lol:

Sometimes Mmssed in all the takeover speculation is that Shinji Mikami is a first party Microsoft guy now. Add Kojima to that and get the pair of them to make Evil Within 3 or something. 

20 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Sometimes Mmssed in all the takeover speculation is that Shinji Mikami is a first party Microsoft guy now. Add Kojima to that and get the pair of them to make Evil Within 3 or something. 

Evil Hills