Xbox Series X | S

On 22/03/2021 at 09:32, Jonny5 said:

Does anyone else notice how much heat the series x pushes out even when on standby?

Mine is in a cupboard with the ps5 & switch. I leave the doors open when in use but whenever I open up the cupboard its noticeably warm in there. Touching the consoles the PS5 is always cold but the Xbox is always warm to the touch around the fan opening. 

Both are set to use the standby mode where they do updates and stuff in the background. I guess the Xbox just does more work when on standby?

Mine is in a cupboard as well and gets hot when playing but I've just checked it and it's cold. No heat at all. It is hot in there but that's mainly due to the Sky Q box that seems to want to become my default heat source.

Oh that's quite exciting. I have almost no interest in the game beyond the fact that I always kinda like exploring real-world places that I know. That will wear out after a few goes so the price is right at free!

I got it in the bundle I got with my series x. I installed it and drove around for 15 mins trying to find my office and then went to bed. 

I really should give it some time given it cost me £50. :(

9 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Asuras Wrath is 2.99 in the sale. Cult classic. 

It's proper ending is DLC, though and that's not on sale. 

Still worth playing, mind. To this day I don't think I've ever played anything as insane as this. 

Has Control Ultimate Edition received it’s Series X enhancements?

I’ve got the UE disk version, but it doesn’t show as Series X enhanced.  Is it launching the normal version as I have Gamepass?

1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

@theredstarcheck in "my games and apps" and look there. Or just see if there's a raytracing option in settings. 

Well I have it digitally and yes it’s definitely for the ray tracing option. 

Switch it on to see it look a bit better then immediately switch it off again so it plays properly. 

8 hours ago, deerokus said:

It's a nice technical showcase for the system at points due to the raytracing. They were close to making a really good game tbh, but didn't. 

Yeah, they created a gorgeous version of London, but somehow made an incredibly boring game wrapped around it. It just isn't very interesting to explore and the missions are far too samey. 

1 minute ago, carlospie said:

The getaway did the same thing years ago

Nah, The Getaway was better than Legion, for me anyway, I played through both on the PS2, never bothered with the PSP game though.

Question.  My mate and I gameshare so have the standard setup, his xbox series x is my home and my xbox series x is his home. No issues works well.  We both also have our own separate Gamepass Ultimate separate subs stacked for 3 years.

My Bro in Law has an unused One S that I was considering borrowing and hooking up to a monitor so my kids can play minecraft / roblox etc in the same room at the same time. If i login with my account and just leave it there, will their accounts be able to play online the way they can on the main series X?  I don't really want to go down the route of having to get them separate xbox live  / gamepass for their accounts. 

1 minute ago, womblingfree said:

Not all enhanced games show the X|S logo right? Prey and Dishonoured certainly don’t.

That's because they technically aren't X/S enhanced - they are BC games that have auto HDR and FPS boost enabled.

I popped out for shopping at lunch and came across Xbox themed Pringles (which I subsequently bought at a bargaintastic 90p).

What drew me was the pad, are we getting the design lab for Series pads coming back soon (there were other colours for different flavours)?

20210324_130651_compress93.thumb.jpg.98e93047f198d9420a4a300e37d8f6a1.jpg

46 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Not all enhanced games show the X|S logo right? Prey and Dishonoured certainly don’t.

That logo only shows for games that are actually 'optimised' for the systems, which you can think of being full ports to the series systems and can use the full capability. Some games (like Wreckfest, Outer Worlds or Jedi Fallen Order) run in a sort of 'Backwards Compatiblity Plus' mode where they've unlocked the framerate or bumped up the resolution in the performance mode, but it's still the Xbox One X version. 

Then as said above, Prey and Dishonoured are different again, they're not patched at all but benefit from system-level fps boost enhancement to the backwards compatibity mode, which is kind of like an official hack. 

7 hours ago, carlospie said:

It was alright. Very ahead of its time. I really liked that it had real car brands 

I agree, but that sort of thing limits future BC. Although cars in Legion were mostly a projection of current brands but future EV versions, I did actually recognize most of them. I think I actually prefer devs taking this approach, unless licensing can now account for us owning content for longer than a console generation.

2 hours ago, Jg15 said:

I popped out for shopping at lunch and came across Xbox themed Pringles (which I subsequently bought at a bargaintastic 90p).

What drew me was the pad, are we getting the design lab for Series pads coming back soon (there were other colours for different flavours)?

20210324_130651_compress93.thumb.jpg.98e93047f198d9420a4a300e37d8f6a1.jpg

Ooh I hope so, God these companies have a way of making me part with my money :doh:

What is the promotion btw? 

3 hours ago, fattakin said:

Question.  My mate and I gameshare so have the standard setup, his xbox series x is my home and my xbox series x is his home. No issues works well.  We both also have our own separate Gamepass Ultimate separate subs stacked for 3 years.

My Bro in Law has an unused One S that I was considering borrowing and hooking up to a monitor so my kids can play minecraft / roblox etc in the same room at the same time. If i login with my account and just leave it there, will their accounts be able to play online the way they can on the main series X?  I don't really want to go down the route of having to get them separate xbox live  / gamepass for their accounts. 

I don't 100% understand the post but I think so.  It's a non-home xbox like your x and should work the same way.

34 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Ooh I hope so, God these companies have a way of making me part with my money :doh:

What is the promotion btw? 

Possibly Win a Series X, also includes a free 7 day Gamepass trial with every purchase, just have to register on the Pringles website with the promo code on the bottom of the tin to redeem.

5 hours ago, fattakin said:

The One S can't be set as your home Xbox because you can only have one home Xbox. And that's already your mate's Xbox since you're game sharing with him.

On the One S your kids will be able to play online on YOUR account. But NOT on their own accounts and not if you're actively logged in (playing a game) on your own Xbox as the other session on the same account will be automatically suspended. The way it works is that there's one main account on an Xbox (the account that is set as the home account) and all other accounts on that same Xbox share subscription and purchase benefits, ergo Gold or Game Pass or actual purchases.

On the One S, one of your kid's accounts would be the main one so that account will need its own subscription. 

10 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

Nah, The Getaway was better than Legion, for me anyway, I played through both on the PS2, never bothered with the PSP game though.

The Getaway was a flying turd that looked like dogshit even on release.  One of those early PS2 games which pre console release was showing incredibly detailed and interactive environments (I remember reading about destructible scenery etc) which what eventually was released was a dull, flat textured and empty environment that barely reflected the early mock ups.

Legion despite its flaws has done a great job recreating a dystopian London that’s fun to just mess about in and explore. It’s light years ahead of the Getaway. 

Legion's environment is extraordinary. You should just walk around slowly and soak in the absurd detail that's probably lost on most players as they whiz around on drones or fast travel. Perhaps the assets can be reused for a better game, one day.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S