Jump to content

Xbox Series X | S


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, deerokus said:

Loading times are one of the biggest improvements in gaming in years. I watched Digital Foundry's video about the ps5 version of Avengers. Loading reduced from well over a minute to about 4 seconds - on last gen the loading screen is all animated renders of the characters because they know you need something to look at. That screen doesn't even appear any more. 

 

It's like we're suddenly back to the cartridge days. There are loads of games that instantly become much more playable because of this. Prey, Outer Worlds and Forza Horizon 4 come to mind for me. 

 

I've been replaying the Wreckfest career mode and I'm getting through it about 3x the speed I did before. Yes, I'm better at the game, but I genuineIy think that first time around I spent about half of the time waiting for races to load.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone had an issue with their controller? Mine has started making a whirring sound when the rumble kicks in and the left trigger is also sticking half way in sometimes. This same thing happened with my One X but that was after years of use.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s a video on next-gen development with Thomas Puha from Remedy. I found his thoughts on Series S (beginning at 14:40) particularly interesting, especially that it’s actually more of a headache adapting next-gen versions of cross-gen games to the spec than it will be when it is the de facto base for exclusively next generation software. With that said, it’s hard not to come away with the impression that there’s an expectation that cutbacks are going to have to be substantial as the generation wears on, although I suspect that will be more of a 'concern' to internet fanboys than anyone who actually bought the console.
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, pledge said:

Has anyone had an issue with their controller? Mine has started making a whirring sound when the rumble kicks in and the left trigger is also sticking half way in sometimes. This same thing happened with my One X but that was after years of use.

I'm suspicious I might have some slight stick drift, only appears at certain times in certain games. 

 

Controllers on all platforms seem to be made of paper these days. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I'm suspicious I might have some slight stick drift, only appears at certain times in certain games. 

 

This is probably to do with the deadzones being tiny in certain games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Rain Birds said:

Here’s a video on next-gen development with Thomas Puha from Remedy. I found his thoughts on Series S (beginning at 14:40) particularly interesting, especially that it’s actually more of a headache adapting next-gen versions of cross-gen games to the spec than it will be when it is the de facto base for exclusively next generation software. With that said, it’s hard not to come away with the impression that there’s an expectation that cutbacks are going to have to be substantial as the generation wears on, although I suspect that will be more of a 'concern' to internet fanboys than anyone who actually bought the console.
 

 

Interesting that he mentions the dev tools being easier to work with on PS5 over Series X. Hopefully as those tools become more mature and stable we'll see the power of the Series X being easier to access for devs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JPL said:

Interesting that he mentions the dev tools being easier to work with on PS5 over Series X. Hopefully as those tools become more mature and stable we'll see the power of the Series X being easier to access for devs.


Yeah, I think there have been a few developers now who’ve spoken of the development tools being less mature.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dolby Vision incoming!

o6q2in4w8zn61.thumb.jpg.9f2e73eab6e6a288ea9be6a7e286aea8.jpg

 

Quote

Current Xbox Series X|S Dashboard OS in Alpha Ring and Alpha Ring Skip Ahead now officially support Dolby Vision for Games.
And we're not just talking about future DV support for new, unreleased, games but it appears that all current HDR games will be natively converted from HDR to DOLBY VISION

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jonny5 said:

You can't play enhanced for Series X games from external storage right?  I've looked into it as well and keep ending up concluding that I'd be better with 4TB of spinning disk rather than 1TB of ssd storage for similar money and just transfer things I want to play to the internal ssd.

I think you're right re: enhanced games. I did spot a comparison somewhere - maybe DF? - saying that a mechanical drive does bring some delay if playing off it. But not a problem for transferring them over as you say.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, first impressions are that this is a pretty magnificent machine. Got about 50 games downloading overnight on game pass, but given my connection it'll probably be a week before they're all where they should be.

 

Accidentally posted in the Game Pass thread initially, but while the machine's a little smaller than I expected it's incredibly dense. I don't think there's any wasted space inside the thing at all.

 

Few quibbles about the backwards compatibility though - after quick resuming Ninja Gaiden 2 it told me that my most recent save was on another console and shut it off without any way for me to stop it. Also, Virtua Fighter 5 FS won't quick resume.

 

Either way, after thinking MS serious ballsed up the last generation (though they seemed to be clawing it back around the time of the One X - I was still very much 'out' at that point though) I'm pretty optimistic about them going into this one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/03/2021 at 11:39, Timmo said:

If the suspended game install speed increases are significant then there might be even less reason to get an expansion. Had no issue with the Series S so far. Unless game sizes increase massively I think it'll be fine for my use. 


The Xbox downloads at full speed when in instant on mode, so I don’t really see the point of the feature to suspend from the queue. 
 

My frustration comes entirely from wanting to play a single player game without it hampering my download speeds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

Err. What's the difference between HDR and Dolby Vision when you've calibrated the peak and min brightness on the Xbox?

Dolby Vision uses metadata to map the same source image to every type of screen; for example 4000nit, 1000nit, 600nit and 100nit (SDR). Standard HDR10 is just a signal which neither the Xbox nor the TV necessarily know how to display properly, which is why it's so easy to inadvertently fuck up your HDR picture quality.

 

I'm unsure what that dashboard calibration tool actually controls.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Dolby Vision uses metadata to map the same source image to every type of screen; for example 4000nit, 1000nit, 600nit and 100nit (SDR). Standard HDR10 is just a signal which neither the Xbox nor the TV necessarily know how to display properly, which is why it's so easy to inadvertently fuck up your HDR picture quality.

 

I'm unsure what that dashboard calibration tool actually controls.

Yeah, but it's supposed to do the same thing effectively!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone else notice how much heat the series x pushes out even when on standby?
 

Mine is in a cupboard with the ps5 & switch. I leave the doors open when in use but whenever I open up the cupboard its noticeably warm in there. Touching the consoles the PS5 is always cold but the Xbox is always warm to the touch around the fan opening. 
 

Both are set to use the standby mode where they do updates and stuff in the background. I guess the Xbox just does more work when on standby?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

Yeah, but it's supposed to do the same thing effectively!

Sure but as a crude example what if one dev masters their games to 1000 nits and another dev masters their games to 10,000 nits? There’s zero consistency when it comes to in-game calibration tools so one could look fine and the other could be completely blown out in HDR10, despite all your console and TV settings remaining the same. 
 

Dolby Vision offers a standard and will hopefully it a lot easier for game devs to achieve consistent results across formats.


I’ll be curious to see if any of them start using it for their non-Dolby SDR output, we’ve started doing it in the film world because it can save a whole load of extra work and hassle when you need to deliver a separate SDR master. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Sure but as a crude example what if one dev masters their games to 1000 nits and another dev masters their games to 10,000 nits? There’s zero consistency when it comes to in-game calibration tools so one could look fine and the other could be completely blown out in HDR10, despite all your console and TV settings remaining the same. 
 

Dolby Vision offers a standard and will hopefully it a lot easier for game devs to achieve consistent results across formats.


I’ll be curious to see if any of them start using it for their non-Dolby SDR output, we’ve started doing it in the film world because it can save a whole load of extra work and hassle when you need to deliver a separate SDR master. 

I don't disagree when they don't allow the system to do the mappings, so it's a good thing!

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Hitcher said:

DV has dynamic metadata whereas HDR only has static metadata so DV can tell your TV how to use tone-mapping on a scene-by-scene/frame-by-frame basis.

Though evilboris reckons it’s just using a static tonemap, and also limits to 60Hz on a C9.

my broader concern is what is the lag like with Dolby vision display modes on slightly older TVs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/03/2021 at 20:13, deerokus said:

That Warface thing in GWG has some nice shooting, but eh, spawn camped in my first ever round so fuck that. 

 

Has it got better then? When it launched it was fucked. Whenever you fired the gun and there was muzzle flash it would cause the game to stutter for a frame or two. Made shooting accurately almost impossible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.