Xbox Series X | S

10 hours ago, Simmy said:

I am even tempted to double dip on a Series S for the emulation stuff I saw - anyone else done similar?

Yes, I have but haven't set it up yet on the Series S.

9 hours ago, Ferine said:

Anyone else have their Series console in Energy-Saving mode and using an LG OLED? I find that my XSX will seemingly stir in its slumber every few hours, prompting the TV to obscure what I'm watching/playing with an obtrusive input switch prompt. I don't have any HDMI CEC options enabled, so I can't imagine another device is waking it up.

I can probably turn the prompt off if I dig through the TV's settings, I just don't understand why the console appears to be rousing itself at all. Auto-updates and remote installs don't work in Energy-Saving mode, so what's it doing?

No. My Series X is in energy-saving mode as well, and I don't unexpectedly get that prompt on my CX

55 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

If it's not doing anything useful in that mode why not just turn it off completely?

Isn't exactly that what the energy-saving mode does?

53 minutes ago, amorenod said:

Isn't exactly that what the energy-saving mode does?

There's an option in the settings to do a full power down.

This is what I do as instant on / energy saver allows the external HDD I have attached to spool up every now and then which is annoying.

40 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

This is what I do as instant on / energy saver allows the external HDD I have attached to spool up every now and then which is annoying.

There's a separate option to power down external storage,  if that's the main problem. 

3 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

There's a separate option to power down external storage,  if that's the main problem. 

Nope, even with that checked the HDD spins up briefly every now and again when the console is in either low power state.

2 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Nope, even with that checked the HDD spins up briefly every now and again when the console is in either low power state.

I wonder if that's something to do with the drive then, as far as I know it doesn't happen with my external drive. 

To be fair,  the number of times I see the "this game needs an update" message,  I wonder if it's worth having the machine in standby mode anyway. 

14 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I wonder if that's something to do with the drive then, as far as I know it doesn't happen with my external drive. 

To be fair,  the number of times I see the "this game needs an update" message,  I wonder if it's worth having the machine in standby mode anyway. 

It could be the drive. It's an old 2.5" laptop drive in a USB caddy so nothing special. It's a bit noisy too so will probably look to change it soon.

3 hours ago, Hitcher said:

If it's not doing anything useful in that mode why not just turn it off completely?

My understanding was that Energy-Saving effectively did that; it cold boots every time. The only reason I don't use the full shutdown option is because it's buried away in Settings rather than being quickly accessed by holding in the Xbox button.

2 hours ago, amorenod said:

No. My Series X is in energy-saving mode as well, and I don't unexpectedly get that prompt on my CX

Okay, thanks. There must be something I can tweak to stop it, then. Seems likely the culprit is the mechanical HDD I have hooked up, given @teddymeow's experience.

I have a mechanical HDD hooked up to my Series S in energy saving mode, the disc access light stays lit when it’s powered off, but no issues with the TV switching. I have disabled HDMI CEC though 

8 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Controller kept disconnecting on my Series S today.

Reboot sorted it but bloody annoying when navigating menus in settings.

Apparently there's a system update rolling out right now which should fix that. It might have been this thread where it was mentioned recently.

I got a Series X earlier in the week but only got around to hooking it up yesterday and I've been thoroughly impressed with it so far. So then I signed up for Game Pass Ultimate and holy shit am I feeling overwhelmed at how many games I've got to play on it now. 

Also, Ori and the Will of the Wisps in 4kHDR at 120fps on an OLED is absolutely gorgeous.

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Still no word on the FPS boost for Dishonored and Prey? I've downloaded Dishonored in wild anticipation, and I'm kinda getting impatient now :lol:

There must be so many people right now playing these games and not realising there's an FPS boost imminent. Really odd they didn't have it ready. 

31 minutes ago, Timmo said:

There must be so many people right now playing these games and not realising there's an FPS boost imminent. Really odd they didn't have it ready. 

I think it's a press thing. Announce, demo, release. 

At every stage they'll get articles and videos written about their new feature.  The same way that they'll get more coverage by adding  Gamepass titles gradually.

There'll be the fringe benefit of those who have started playing those games enthusing about their games being transformed as well, I suppose. 

Today I learned about Xbox 360 backwards compatibility. Call Of Duty 4 Modern Warfare and GTA 4 both installed and updated, which was good. :)

Unsurprisingly FIFA 13 and PES 2013 did not.

I though it was strange that GTA 4 works but GTA 5 does not, mind.

And that’s the extent of my remaining 360 collection.

6 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The cynical would point out they have a new version of GTA5 to sell you and that's not true of GTA4...

Not to mention yet another version of 5 due later in the year.

My Series X has arrived!!

But it has to remain boxed up for a loooooong time before I get to enjoy it.  Our house move fiasco means that there's just not going to be the room for it, so it's not just a case of having a TV that won't do it justice.

TheOrphan.gif

5 minutes ago, MattKB said:

Anyone got the extra SSD card? Is it just plug and be seamless with internal storage?

Yes I have it and yes it is. 

However if your default storage is full rather than just install on the card it throws up a message to say storage full shall I install on the other one. I think this is always how it works to be fair. It’s not really a problem and obviously having twice the storage is amazing.