Xbox Series X | S

Good news: my Series X from Game will arrive on Monday!! :omg:

Bad news: our house move delay means no new TV, so it'd be pointless to play on it until I can enjoy the full 4k 60/120 fps awesomeness.

So I've made the decision to keep it boxed up until we move. Which won't be for months. :(

I hate everything. 

14 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Bad news: our house move delay means no new TV, so it'd be pointless to play on it until I can enjoy the full 4k 60/120 fps awesomeness.

So I've made the decision to keep it boxed up until we move. Which won't be for months. :(

I hate everything. 

A lot of the advantages also come through on a 1080p set. If I were you I'd just enjoy it now so that you can contrast and compare when you get around to the fancy telly goodness.

11 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

I hate everything. 

It’s worth getting it setup just for the speed of everything and Quick Resume. Don’t let something as trivial as a house move put you off! 

Is there a bug with updates on some games? When i check it always has Hitman 3 and Yakuza 7 with pending updates even though I have automatic turned on. Other games update without intervention.

41 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

I hate everything. 

All the improvements you’ll notice immediately aren’t to do with 4K; better or more stable frame rates, silent running, fast loading & quick resume, the feel of the pad. Then when you get your new TV it will be like getting a new console all over again :)

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

All the improvements you’ll notice immediately aren’t to do with 4K; better or more stable frame rates, silent running, fast loading & quick resume, the feel of the pad. Then when you get your new TV it will be like getting a new console all over again :)

The BC FPS boost to 60 is soooo good, worth checking out on a 1080p telly also!

My controller disconnected for no reason. I was just lucky I had a USB C cable in the house after getting anew phone as there isn't one in the box. It's extremely irritating and the only machine I've ever had an issue with the Nvidia Shield.

Not sure if it has already been posted, but it looks like the latest update might fix some of the controller issues:

I don’t think I’ve installed it yet so it’s presumably still rolling out

3 hours ago, kensei said:

My controller disconnected for no reason. I was just lucky I had a USB C cable in the house after getting anew phone as there isn't one in the box. It's extremely irritating and the only machine I've ever had an issue with the Nvidia Shield.

If this happens and you don’t have a cable to hand, try pressing and holding the power button for 10 seconds, then turning it back on. This always fixes it for me, although it’s not happened much at all recently. 

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

Series X from Game arrived and what a lovely box it comes in, some real Apple quality tape tabs too with lifted non sticky ends.

Setup a breeze thru the app and my All Access gamepass stuff claimed seamlessly so very good first impressions.

Also it doesn't emit a high pitched whine like the PS5 which must be attracting bats so that is a tick in the box too. 

Having had my last Xbox One unused for at least a couple of years there is so much stuff to choose from in the freebie store

The packaging is excellent and having All Access consoles come with the Game Pass pre-applied and ready to be redeemed during set-up (instead of being on a scratch card) is an ostensibly minor detail that really makes a positive difference.

This is the first Xbox I haven’t been sceptical about as well as the first one I bought at launch. The original and 360 weren’t that long after, but I was sufficiently put off of the One until 2018 when the combination of One X + Game Pass + increasingly excellent backwards compatibility pulled me back in; this feels like the perfect next step and since I’m still confounded by Sony’s decision to mess around with the PS button long-press on PS5, even an initially underwhelming decision like sticking with the same UI feels like a good one.

18 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Can you play Xbox on a PC like the PS4 remote play thing? Just so I’m not hogging the tele EVERY night.

You can with Xbox One, but they’re still working on it for Series S / X, which can currently only stream to mobile devices.

https://uk.pcmag.com/gaming-systems/132141/how-to-stream-xbox-games-to-your-phone-or-pc-with-remote-play

You know on Win 10 you can have Windows update pull from other machines on the network if they've got the files, save bandwidth and stuff. Does the Xbox do that? It seems a bit silly to have multiple devices pulling down updates to the same games.

31 minutes ago, TehStu said:

You now on Win 10 you can have Windows update pull from other machines on the network if they've got the files, save bandwidth and stuff. Does the Xbox do that? It seems a bit silly to have multiple devices pulling down updates to the same games.

Yeah

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

You now on Win 10 you can have Windows update pull from other machines on the network if they've got the files, save bandwidth and stuff. Does the Xbox do that? It seems a bit silly to have multiple devices pulling down updates to the same games.

Last gen Xbox's did this.

1 hour ago, Kryptonian said:

Yeah

1 hour ago, Hitcher said:

Last gen Xbox's did this.

So like, if I leave both to auto update and both instant on, they'll figure out between them which should downloads from internet and which should grab updates from the other?

39 minutes ago, skondo said:

Without wishing to repeat myself, I really love my Series X. It really is a wonderful thing.

Yeah I don't wanna sound like a broken record but I am the same. It is so good and having Game Pass Ultimate sorted until 2023 feels oddly comforting.

2 hours ago, TehStu said:

So like, if I leave both to auto update and both instant on, they'll figure out between them which should downloads from internet and which should grab updates from the other?

Not quite as clever as that but if you keep one set to auto-update you can then do a network transfer to the other console.

Anyone else have their Series console in Energy-Saving mode and using an LG OLED? I find that my XSX will seemingly stir in its slumber every few hours, prompting the TV to obscure what I'm watching/playing with an obtrusive input switch prompt. I don't have any HDMI CEC options enabled, so I can't imagine another device is waking it up.

I can probably turn the prompt off if I dig through the TV's settings, I just don't understand why the console appears to be rousing itself at all. Auto-updates and remote installs don't work in Energy-Saving mode, so what's it doing?

7 hours ago, Simmy said:

I am even tempted to double dip on a Series S for the emulation stuff I saw - anyone else done similar?

Yeah that's my plan as well. But with them being in short supply I'm happy to wait until a steady stream of them are available before buying a second machine. 

8 hours ago, Ferine said:

Anyone else have their Series console in Energy-Saving mode and using an LG OLED? I find that my XSX will seemingly stir in its slumber every few hours, prompting the TV to obscure what I'm watching/playing with an obtrusive input switch prompt. I don't have any HDMI CEC options enabled, so I can't imagine another device is waking it up.

I can probably turn the prompt off if I dig through the TV's settings, I just don't understand why the console appears to be rousing itself at all. Auto-updates and remote installs don't work in Energy-Saving mode, so what's it doing?

If it's not doing anything useful in that mode why not just turn it off completely?

Is there any way of disabling Quick Resume? It’s a bloody nightmare. Half the time it doesn’t work anyway but when it does it just seems to cause problems. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla stopped saving and I lost hours of progress. Titanfall 2 stopped unlocking achievements. Both problems resolved with a proper boot of the game in question. I’m just going to start manually quitting games now, feature is useless and stuff loads quick enough anyway. 

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S