Xbox Series X | S

45 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

403 Forbidden

Weird, works for me.

Yeah, they essentially need full Microsoft accounts. For your own sanity, I would do it here:

https://account.microsoft.com/family/

You don't need an Outlook account, the Microsoft account can use other emails (e.g., gmail) as the identity. If you've already setup an Outlook account (which is a Microsoft account), you'll want to invite it to the family, I guess. This is the bit where you don't lie about their age (which is what you had to do years ago with Google, and thus their accounts can never be child appropriate now).

edit - yeah, it's worth installing Microsoft Authenticator, getting yours setup, and then adding the kids' accounts to your app, too. Turn on passwordless auth and that'll save a lot of typing passwords on a pad.

1 minute ago, TehStu said:

Weird, works for me.

Yeah, they essentially need full Microsoft accounts. For your own sanity, I would do it here:

https://account.microsoft.com/family/

You don't need an Outlook account, the Microsoft account can use other emails (e.g., gmail) as the identity. If you've already setup an Outlook account (which is a Microsoft account), you'll want to invite it to the family, I guess. This is the bit where you don't lie about their age (which is what you had to do years ago with Google, and thus their accounts can never be child appropriate now).

edit - yeah, it's worth installing Microsoft Authenticator, getting yours setup, and then adding the kids' accounts to your app, too. Turn on passwordless auth and that'll save a lot of typing passwords on a pad.

And me too....

Probably worth bearing in mind that we've chipped away at this as they've added features over the years, but coming in largely new you've got a lot of administrivia to do. But it only needs doing once, and it's a comprehensive system that actually covers Xbox, Win 10 and certain aspects of Android if you have Microsoft Launcher installed.

Yeah thanks I’ve managed to just setup a new one after I couldn’t remember the password for the first one (my phone made one up) and then it wanted the password on the actual Xbox to setup her Xbox Profile. Anyway sorted now but what a faff! 

12 hours ago, TehStu said:

https://www.thurrott.com/games/xbox/247949/the-march-xbox-update-is-rolling-out

Lots of software updates rolling out this month, including that BC Boost and achievements in the Xbox app.

Being able to turn Auto HDR on or off on a per-game basis is a great improvement - although as I think I've said in this thread before, they seem to have quietly improved the feature enormously since launch. I was playing Titanfall 2 last night and it looked absolutely tremendous, I'd never have known it wasn't native HDR if it wasn't for the little indicator when I pressed the guide button.

Still there are a couple of games where it's a bit over-enthusiastic and it'll be nice to just turn it off for those games rather than constantly jumping in and out of the system settings.

I'm happy I can turn off auto HDR per game but I wish they'd add the option to turn off HDR for XSX and One games too.

You'd think the games themselves would have that option but often don't. My otherwise great monitor is only so-so at HDR. It makes Dirt5 look dull at full brightness, PES too bright, and the xbox hdr calibration isn't much of a fan of it either. But looks smashing on Mass Effect Andromeda and Forza Horizon 4. 

I don't know what they were thinking stripping out achievements on the xbox app. Are they just trying to force you to use the machine for trivial stuff like that? Can they stick the store on while they're at it? 

8 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

I don't know what they were thinking stripping out achievements on the xbox app. Are they just trying to force you to use the machine for trivial stuff like that? Can they stick the store on while they're at it? 

It’s a new app for the Series consoles, so I think it was just a bit barebones to begin with. They’ll be adding everything back in over time.

On 06/03/2021 at 10:42, Mr Tony said:

i got those, but then I got a text from dpd saying it’s gonna be delivered today.

Well they took my money but didn’t have the stock and now don’t know when they will :rolleyes:

47 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

I'm happy I can turn off auto HDR per game but I wish they'd add the option to turn off HDR for XSX and One games too.

Seems to be a Microsoft thing - games on the Xbox don't allow you to turn HDR on and off because it's managed at system level. The same games on the PS4 have the options in-game.

It's a bugbear of mine because I play Elder Scrolls Online from time to time and the HDR implementation in that is absolutely god-awful, massively over-saturated with far too much contrast. I'd love to be able to turn off HDR in-game, and let the Xbox's Auto HDR function have at it. I'd bet it would look ten times better.

16 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

Well they took my money but didn’t have the stock and now don’t know when they will :rolleyes:

That's fucking irritating. 

Great that they're bringing Achievements back into the mobile app. They really need to bring the store back as well - surely they're leaving money on the table not letting people buy stuff via their own app!

15 minutes ago, Pob said:

Great that they're bringing Achievements back into the mobile app. They really need to bring the store back as well - surely they're leaving money on the table not letting people buy stuff via their own app!

Yeah, it's taken way longer than expected to get back to feature parity. I'm sure there was some backend framework or other nonsense decision, but I did used to scour the sales with the old app and fire off some cheap impulse buys. It was way simpler than the site, and when I'm sat down in front of the xbox I way to actually play.

There is a big market out there for people who can't get onto their consoles because of their life but are still happy/stupid enough to spend a fortune on it. (me!)

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

Any recommendations in the sale? I really want sf4 but it's never on sale. Also on the 360 I remember buying sf2 hd but it appears to not exist anymore?!

Nidhogg 2 and Trivial Pursuit Live for less than a fiver each are the only things for me this week.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Is SF2HD backwards compatible? Either it's been delisted or it's simply not playable on XB1 upwards.

Man, so many good memories of that game. 

I once played it on ranked and came up against a friend in real life. It was the most epic online duel I have ever had!

I'm not paying 25 quid for sf4 though

After finally getting a series X I am a little underwhelmed. I had a Xbox one X, but it was clear the hard drive is on it's way out so thought I'd upgrade. I say "upgrade" but in reality at this point in time it's a one X with fast loading. Yes Forza Horizon 4 can have the 4k textures as well as the 60 fps but it's not a massive improvement on what I've been playing for the past 2 years. The interface of the console is very similar and I'm detecting slight improvements in some games but I really wish there was some new stuff to play. In my defence I havent tried Gears 5 yet, so will try that over the weekend to see if I notice much improvement. 

Normally when you pick up a new console there is a wow moment. So far for me, the most impressive thing was the fancy box it came in! 

I was exactly the same when i got mine, but i gradually came to love it.

Weirdly Mass Effect: Andromeda cemented it, being able to whizz about the map with fast travel instead of minutes of loading times is a revelation.

15 mins free, instant on, quick resume, fast travel, actual gaming inside a minute is brilliant and you don't even have time to pick up your phone.

The box is amazing right enough :D

50 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

After finally getting a series X I am a little underwhelmed. I had a Xbox one X, but it was clear the hard drive is on it's way out so thought I'd upgrade. I say "upgrade" but in reality at this point in time it's a one X with fast loading. Yes Forza Horizon 4 can have the 4k textures as well as the 60 fps but it's not a massive improvement on what I've been playing for the past 2 years. The interface of the console is very similar and I'm detecting slight improvements in some games but I really wish there was some new stuff to play. In my defence I havent tried Gears 5 yet, so will try that over the weekend to see if I notice much improvement. 

Normally when you pick up a new console there is a wow moment. So far for me, the most impressive thing was the fancy box it came in! 

Know what you mean... :) It's more like a PC upgrade than anything else. But as mentioned it offers a more refined experience. Quick resume is great. If I'd have had a One X already well that would have been a harder sell sure. But if you don't have a Xbox its brilliant. 

Certainly an odd generation shift from MS this one. But makes sense. Sony is following the traditional way of doing things although arguably they don't have that much more to offer at the moment either.

Personally having a bunch of fun with my X and GamePass its great. Fired up the original Doom a few moments ago and had a "quick" go..... So fast at loading etc. Its fantastic. OK its an old game... but just great to have super quick loading times. Like the slight tweaks to the controller too - textured grip and deeper thumbstick tops are great. Noticeable when you flick between the old and new controller. Subtle refinements but welcomed. 

Quick resume, no load times and auto HDR are definitely all 'next gen' and I think I am just happy in the security knowing that with gamepass, and Microsoft's care for backwards compatibility that the next few years are going to be spectacular.

• djbhammer changed the title to Xbox Series X | S